PDA

View Full Version : Going to Afghanistan

jackson07
10-09-09, 05:41 PM
Good afternoon Marines,
I will be deploying to Afghanistan on an IA billet. Any tips for what to bring? I am looking for things outside your standard packing list. Things that you wish you had, or wanted once you got there.

Thank you very much.

Osotogary
10-09-09, 06:34 PM
All I can say is, may God be with you and your fellow Marines.
I can't offer any packing advise. I can say that alot of what my son brought with him to Afghanistan (I'm not going to be specific) was, for a better word, confiscated at the airport, including alot of music and video cds. Which still to this day pizzes him off as it does me. Organized theft? One has to wonder. He came in as contractor.

BR34
10-09-09, 06:38 PM
All I can say is, may God be with you and your fellow Marines.
I can't offer any packing advise. I can say that alot of what my son brought with him to Afghanistan (I'm not going to be specific) was, for a better word, confiscated at the airport, including alot of music and video cds. Which still to this day pizzes him off as it does me. Organized theft? One has to wonder. He came in as contractor.

WTH...I always thought you were active duty Navy. Am I being punk'd?

Hey, Jackson, stay safe. And what's this IA billet and how do I get one?

srinaldo86
10-09-09, 06:39 PM
Cpl, being that I have not been deployed and I am at a non-deployable duty station I dont have much to say but good luck and come back safe.
However I have heard rumor that soap/cologne/smell good stuff is a hot trade item on that side of the globe, better than money even... so I've heard.

Akkadian
10-09-09, 07:06 PM
I've been to Iraq and the things I needed/wanted were: Ipod (or similar), a huge dvd case (trust me), a computer w/ games already on it, portable hard drive (lots of files swimming around and the hard drives in country are expensive)...

But that's just me.

S/F

DocGreek
10-09-09, 11:15 PM
:evilgrin:....COMPUTERS??...Ipods??...Iphones??... .CD'S?? WHAT THE FVCK!!! ARE YOU GOING TO SUMMER CAMP?? DON'T FORGET THE COPPERTONE!!!....:evilgrin:

Akkadian
10-09-09, 11:41 PM
For downtime Doc. Only for downtime.

Because, as all motivated Marines know, chow and ipods are in the trunk. Everything important in the front. Ooh Rah.

S/F

ttracker65
10-10-09, 04:45 AM
If you are forward deployed:
Tang the water is not great
Beef Jerky always works in a pinch
DVD movies
Did I say Tang to flavor the water?
lots of hot sauce to cover the taste of MRE's
That is all Marine carry on.

ttracker65
10-10-09, 04:49 AM
I Can alway's give you a list of those that are there just PM me

jackson07
10-10-09, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone.

SGT7477
10-10-09, 01:21 PM
If you are forward deployed:
Tang the water is not great
Beef Jerky always works in a pinch
DVD movies
Did I say Tang to flavor the water?
lots of hot sauce to cover the taste of MRE's
That is all Marine carry on.
Maybe some punetang.:D

brian0351
10-11-09, 03:01 AM
Depending on what FOB you end up at, Make sure you get one of those head-lamps with a strap. Nothing is worse than trying to **** while holding a flashlight in complete darkness! Lol.

bgsuwoody
10-11-09, 08:02 PM
Jackson get with me off the site and I'll get with you on the ins and outs and the things that you should bring.

stein07
10-11-09, 08:55 PM
Best of luck to you and your Marines, Jackson.

marine3043
10-11-09, 09:03 PM
bring your rifle and a pair of socks,,,,

are you going to skate in kaf or work hard at a cop,,,