PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning to Civilian Life

polizei
10-09-09, 04:51 PM
Hey everyone, I just have a couple questions for some other Marines who might have experience what I, and I'm sure, many other Marines are going through.

I just got back home from MP school as a reservist. I've been home for about 3 weeks now, and my emotions are torn...I really don't know what to do! I initially decided a week or two off work would be a smart idea and help me transition back to the civilian world. Things are SO much different, but doesn't seem too bad...

Well, like I said, I'm on week 3 now, and I'm finding life harder everyday. I had an old job at a local grocery store, and had plans to go back after my training was over. Well, I got back home and really didn't want to go back to that low-paying, dead-end job with people I don't really care about. So, being proactive, I started searching for a new job, and I found a security firm that is looking for a security guard. Cool, a security job that MIGHT use something I was taught...

Well, I'm still waiting on them to call me back. I can't seem to find a job, I'm currently not enrolled in school (though I will start with the upcoming semester), and I just applied for the Tri-Care Reserve Select health care plan.

Basically, I feel lost and out-of-place in this different "world." Everything is different, people don't understand anything military, I now have less emotions, I'm much more angry, and much more short-tempered. I find myself not being able to deal with people and them making me very mad, very easily.

Is all this normal? Will I "get back into things" or should I just consider going active? I thought the reservist life was going to be good...back home with family and old friends. Well, it's turning out to not be so dandy...I have no income and people don't understand me anymore. I get ****ed off easily and find myself wanting to go-off on people much more than I used too.

Thanks Marines

Akkadian
10-09-09, 05:30 PM
It's going to happen. As a reservist myself, I know what that is like. But that's what you get when you sign up to be a weekend warrior. You just have to let a lot of things slide. It's going to take you a lot longer than 3 weeks to adujst, Marine. But once you find your groove, attend a couple drills, find a job, and especially start college, it will get easier.

Keep yourself busy, Marine. The more time you have to just sit around, the worse off you will be.

S/F

polizei
10-09-09, 05:42 PM
Yea, I think that's the problem...so I'll be glad once school starts. I just sit at home all day and don't do anything...obviously being in training I was so active, it's just a drastic change.

SF

Akkadian
10-09-09, 05:59 PM
Don't worry. What you're going through is normal.

This too shall pass.

S/F

tangovictor87
10-09-09, 06:01 PM
you can still be active warrior. don't get fat like some of the tampons around here. find a job, take classes and get a gym membership. stay away from "that" crowd.

hussaf
10-09-09, 06:12 PM
What are your goals? If you don't want to be in the Marine Corps for an extended period of time...you just want the experience to, say, deploy once or twice to support your country, you may want to consider going AD. If you have no real long term goals with the Corps, then a 4 and out is probably the way to go. Often times, in the reserves, one feels they are treading water and getting nothing accomplished. Drill weekends are filled with visits to medical, sitting around, admin issues, annual classes and green-side training. You will not do too much of your job, as the necessities required of being a Marine will take up probably 70% or more of your drill time. For jobs requiring detailed skills, like a mech. or RO, it will be difficult to maintain MOS proficiency if you don't do a similar job on the civilian world.

Regardless, as others mentioned, you will almost certainly adjust. It was this adjustment, however, that led to my dissatisfaction with Reserve duty in my initial MOS.

College will be a challenge for you. I went to school both before and after being a Marine. The lack of discipline in an average college classroom will drive you absolutely crazy!

Good luck in all things, and don't worry. Everything is what you make of it. As a Marine, you should have no problem making the best of your situation/s
S/F
Adam

Akkadian
10-09-09, 06:13 PM
Also, if the civ job doesn't cut it, talk to your command about going Active Reserve. work at your drill center like the I&I staff. It's always an option.

polizei
10-09-09, 06:26 PM
Thanks Marines, I'll look into it. My goals are to become a civilian police officer in the next few years. The reason why I can't get an LEO job yet is because I need at least my AA degree and the academy...so that's why I'm going back and finishing school.

Also, security jobs (that's what I'm looking for) are hard to get around here...most places only hire 21+ and/or have at least an AA degree...well I'm only 20, and I'm WAY over qualified for any "sub-par" jobs. I have a lot of certifications, certificates, and achievements for only being 20, I know what I want...I just have to wait to achieve it. And being a Marine only adds to my list...

Akkadian
10-09-09, 06:53 PM
Drill weekends are filled with visits to medical, sitting around, admin issues, annual classes and green-side training. You will not do too much of your job, as the necessities required of being a Marine will take up probably 70% or more of your drill time.

My drills constist of PT, armor ID, system training, firing procedures, mock PFT/CFT. Different units do different things. Not all units sit around and do nothing.

Polizei, if your unit just sits around and does nothing, don't be afraid to be the motivated one and kick a class or something. That stuff will get noticed. And with a reserve unit, getting noticed isn't a bad thing. Meritorious promotion in the reserves is difficult, but not unheard of.

Stick with it, Marine.

S/f

MLMonk
10-09-09, 09:18 PM
I'm having the same problems Polizei, ever since I got out of wrecker school, I've been bored ever since. I had a year and a half of active time, and now its all over with and don't really know what to do as of now. On average, I put 1000mi on my car a week, just from being bored and driving to random places at high speeds. I don't think that will last long down here, considering the amount of retards who don't know how to drive.

Akkadian
10-09-09, 09:34 PM
I'm having the same problems Polizei, ever since I got out of wrecker school, I've been bored ever since. I had a year and a half of active time, and now its all over with and don't really know what to do as of now. On average, I put 1000mi on my car a week, just from being bored and driving to random places at high speeds. I don't think that will last long down here, considering the amount of retards who don't know how to drive.

If it's that bad, talk to your chain of command about going Active Reserve or see who is deploying and augment with them.

There is always something to do. Complacency kills Marine.

hussaf
10-09-09, 10:26 PM
Hey brother, don't get too riled up. I'm not sure where you live, but good police jobs are hard to come by. One friend of mine (reservist SSgt) waited about 4 years to get in (state police) and another (former AD SSgt) just got a local PD job after trying for about two years (chicago area).

By security jobs, if you mean jobs requiring a security clearance, than age can sometimes have a factor. If you mean an actual security job, understand that it is typically not too glorious (often AD guys who f-up are punished by being FAPD to security detail...FORCEPRO is often a sexy word attached to gate guard or something similar). Regardless, make sure you are taking a job you feel comfortable with taking. Don't let others push you into it.
SF
Adam

Supersquishy
10-10-09, 05:14 AM
Hey MONK. I know the FL Highway Patrol is hiring you can take your frustrations out on civilians. Or you guys could find a unit that is getting ready to deploy and request attachment, Im sure you've always wanted to see Asscrackistan this time of year.

MLMonk
10-10-09, 03:25 PM
Hey MONK. I know the FL Highway Patrol is hiring you can take your frustrations out on civilians. Or you guys could find a unit that is getting ready to deploy and request attachment, Im sure you've always wanted to see Asscrackistan this time of year.

Hey, thanks for that, I just applied, and I just barely qualified for the job, lol. Hopefully they will accept the application.

Supersquishy
10-10-09, 03:31 PM
Hey, thanks for that, I just applied, and I just barely qualified for the job, lol. Hopefully they will accept the application.
Their going to send you a packet to fill out, make damn sure you fill everything out properly and DO NOT withhold any info! They will set up a schedule to do the CJBAT and PAT Test (easy).

MLMonk
10-10-09, 10:26 PM
Their going to send you a packet to fill out, make damn sure you fill everything out properly and DO NOT withhold any info! They will set up a schedule to do the CJBAT and PAT Test (easy).

Alright, thanks. I'll be in cali for 2 weeks though, leaving Sunday morning at 8am. Should be back by the 27th. I know I won't have any problems with the training, it's getting accepted is my only concern.

sscjoe
10-11-09, 08:23 AM
Weather the storm Cody. I remember when I got off active duty I worked a securuty guard job just to pay the bills. I contiued to network and after about a month the job I was looking for fell into my lap. Get your education and turn 21 and things will look much better. I've been a civilian for almost 30 yrs. and it doesn't get any better. You just learn to adapt.

polizei
10-26-09, 02:01 PM
I've searched on yahoo and can't seem to find much information on switching from reserves to active. I was curious if anyone here could give me some insight? As of right now, it's just a thought, nothing serious, but I would like to know more information about it. It would no doubt change my life, but maybe for the better...I'm still in the same position as I was earlier in my posts, and I feel like maybe being active for 4-5 years will help me out in the long run, as well as right now. I've been entertaining the idea of getting married (already been thinking about that whether active or reserve), and switching to active duty.

There are so many benefits of going active, it's really starting to look like that might be my best bet, but like I said, I'm very uneducated about active fleet life, and if I'm even able to switch over? I'd like to find out all the information I can before I call my old recruiter, I'd rather not disrupt his work if I'm not 100% sure in my decision.

Basically, I'm just curious if there are Marines here who have switched, or if anyone knows how it generally is worked. My main concern would primarily be my duty stations. If I am allowed to switch over, how does a duty station get picked, and would I have to sign a new, 4-5 year active duty contract? Would that void my reserve contract, or would I have to complete the active tour, and then the reserve tour? I know that some that re-enlist get to select which duty station they want to be moved to. Would this be my case since I'm already a Marine, or would I most likely get "choose east, west, or overseas" list?

Thanks Marines. I'm really trying to look at my options here. My buddy in the fleet says it's great. I've only been to one reserve drill, but I just don't think it's for me. I have to say, I liked my attitude and way of life much more when I was training. I kept up with myself, had much more motivation, and felt like I was actually doing something in my life, and helping the Marine Corps. Any help (even if you just call me stupid) would be greatly appreciated!

bgsuwoody
10-26-09, 06:55 PM
Lets just say I really dont get bored around here on active duty...believe me they keep me pretty busy. Its kind of the life...and most of the time I love it.

polizei
10-27-09, 03:43 PM
I was looking around at housing and whatnot, and debating my options. I think the benefits are remarkable and unbelievable for active duty. Basically what I found/know is that:

The Good:

BAH would be $1820 (for MCAS Miramar). With that, I could get a NICE house

I thought that active gets a food allowance for groceries. Not sure if this is true.

I would have free schooling correct?

I would get to travel and live in another state for a few years.

I would have medical/dental insurance (currently don't have any).

I'd be able to be with one of my best friends and his wife.

I'd have a secure job, making secure income.

As an MP, I'd be working ~8hr days, ~15 days a month, not bad, at all!

I'd be able to SAVE a LOT of money for after my contract is up.

I think it'd be a great life experience that if I don't do in the military, I'd never be able to do.

I'm sure there are a few more I'm missing.

The Bad:

I'd have to leave all my family (not too worried really...it's my life)!

I'd have to get rid of my car and get another one (not legal in Cali).

I'd have to move ALL my stuff there (TMO I assume)?

Bound by the Corps via contract.

I'd have to start paying bills and living on my own.

These are the options/list of things I've been thinking about. Does anyone have anything to add, or can anyone tell me about the things I'm not sure about?

Thanks Marines