PDA

View Full Version : Ice at recruit training

Capital M
10-09-09, 01:55 PM
Good afternoon Marines, I had a couple of quick questions

1) Is there ice available for recruits to make ice packs during their downtime?(if downtime is available)

2) On average, do recruits do a lot of "Dips" during their work out?

Thank you for your time

BR34
10-09-09, 01:59 PM
The only way you'll be getting ice is if you pass out and the body snatchers dump it on you, in which case you'll also get the silver bullet from a nearby Corpsman.

Capital M
10-09-09, 02:02 PM
That's what I figured. Thanks Corporal

USCFIGHTONUSC
10-09-09, 02:03 PM
Good afternoon Marines, I had a couple of quick questions

1) Is there ice available for recruits to make ice packs during their downtime?(if downtime is available)

2) On average, do recruits do a lot of "Dips" during their work out?

Thank you for your time

Sorry no ice.

And the only time I remember doing dips was during the circuit course. You do not do them often.

2114Wollmann
10-09-09, 02:08 PM
You get the opportunity to get ice "packs" at night, or at least my platoon did. And yes the only time I ever did dips was during the circuit course.

Capital M
10-09-09, 02:15 PM
Excellent. Thanks for your responses Cpl and PFC. I was just asking about the ice because dips "aggravate" my shoulders, as I found out a few days ago. But if they aren't done that often, all set then.

Thanks again!

tangovictor87
10-09-09, 02:16 PM
we had a freezer full of ice packs for use at night. they just had to be away by lights. we did dips on the S&E course, i think we ran that twice.

BR34
10-09-09, 02:24 PM
Wow, must be something new.

commdog7
10-09-09, 02:27 PM
You ask some of the weirdest questions.

1. My platoon never had access to ice, but some of the other platoons did. I do think more platoons should have access to ice after lights, it would minimize injuries serious enough to get dropped for. If we got hurt, tough luck, we'd be on our way to MRP.

2. You'll do dips on the circuit course on occasion, but not too often.

BR34
10-09-09, 02:37 PM
we had a freezer full of ice packs for use at night. they just had to be away by lights. we did dips on the S&E course, i think we ran that twice.

Hey, are the R7s driven by mechs or crewmen?

tangovictor87
10-09-09, 05:15 PM
Mechanics. I would never let an 18xx touch my R7. I don't like anyone but my repair team around it either, there's too many valuable tools and parts other Marines like to tactically acquire.

BR34
10-09-09, 05:29 PM
Are they armed? If so, with what? I'm thinking about lat moving to 2141.

srinaldo86
10-09-09, 06:46 PM
I found that ice was available during "Senior Drill Insturctor Free Time," only if your SDI allowed it. However that's not even possible if your fellow Ice Recruits forget the water jugs at chow time.

As far as dips go I seem to remember most obstacles/circuits/PT sessions being finished off with dips AFTER boot camp. Dips weren't that big of a deal at bootcamp except on the confidence course when you have the frigging long dip bars that you crawl up.

Do your shoulders bother you only while doing dips or while doing pull ups as well?
How many pull ups do you do?
How tall are you?

Capital M
10-10-09, 12:21 AM
Hey PFC, that's good news.

I'm 6'2, I can do ~13 pullups - no problems

I just tried to do dips a few nights ago at the gym and inner shoulders(not muscles) are feeling it, pretty bad (It could be I just over stretched all the tendons and such since I haven't done dips in forever). My post was just to get an idea of if I should really work on them/if they were an essential part of work outs at boot.

Besides dips I can do everything else. We get "IT'd" pretty hard at our Pool functions, doing pretty much every kind of exercise and I have no problems, same with normal gym routines.

I was just wondering about ice to see what happens if an injury that just needs ice/minimal extreme activities for a couple of days happens.

Matlock09
10-10-09, 09:06 AM
We had a dip bar that we could do dips on at free time. But really it depends on your platoon on what they have and allow.

BR34
10-10-09, 10:08 AM
Hey PFC, that's good news.

I'm 6'2, I can do ~13 pullups - no problems

I just tried to do dips a few nights ago at the gym and inner shoulders(not muscles) are feeling it, pretty bad (It could be I just over stretched all the tendons and such since I haven't done dips in forever). My post was just to get an idea of if I should really work on them/if they were an essential part of work outs at boot.

Besides dips I can do everything else. We get "IT'd" pretty hard at our Pool functions, doing pretty much every kind of exercise and I have no problems, same with normal gym routines.

I was just wondering about ice to see what happens if an injury that just needs ice/minimal extreme activities for a couple of days happens.

Maybe the pain is coming from your body not being used to doing them. When the pain stops, give it another go. If the after pain doesn't come back you're golden.

Capital M
10-10-09, 10:17 AM
That's what I'm hoping Corporal. I might just use the dip assist for a little bit to stretch out the shoulder.

cowstep2
10-10-09, 10:21 AM
Best you stay home and suck on a nice sugar-tit and not **** up my Marine Corps.
ICE MY ASS!

thewookie
10-10-09, 10:32 AM
get the silver bullet .

LMFAO

The silver bullet.

Funny, too funny!

usmcmsf
10-10-09, 10:33 AM
Im sure you are feeling it just like any other muscle you havent worked in awhhile, it will get easier.

And I wish we had ice at boot, we only got pushups. :(

Do-Or-Die
10-13-09, 11:47 AM
No ice, unless your making an unfortunate appointment with the silver bullet.. Myself and Matlock's Senior was big on fitness and had a dip bar on our quarterdeck that we could use on our hour of free time before lights

Phantom Blooper
10-13-09, 11:54 AM
You might get a few cubes.... with your ration of rum!:evilgrin:

BR34
10-13-09, 12:11 PM
Nah, he's East of the Mississippi, he won't be getting any alcoholic beverages at recruit training.

ameriken
10-13-09, 01:03 PM
Ice packs in boot camp? For what? A few sore muscles? You gotta be kidding me. If your muscles are sore, they should make you do more PT to work the soreness out. What's next, a sauna? :evilgrin:

Capital M
10-13-09, 02:03 PM
Sgt- I wasn't talking about sore muscles. I wouldn't be joining the Corps if I couldn't handle a little lactic acid.

My question was regarding moderate-severe tendinitis, (in this case- in the shoulder, brought on by dips). I was just wondering if there was a way to self-treat during recruit training so a recruit didn't have to spend time away from the platoon by going to medical, or worst getting sent to MRP and being held back a week or so.

But, everything is cleared up fine with my shoulder and I got my question answered.

Thanks for the responses Marines!