PDA

View Full Version : Marine on mission to find special coin’s owner

thedrifter
10-09-09, 08:44 AM
Marine on mission to find special coin’s owner

By Sarah Bultema
Loveland Reporter-Herald

Loveland’s Tom Buchanan — commandant of the Loveland Marine Corps League and a retired Marine himself — knows how important a challenge coin can be to a Marine.

The embellished coins are presented to Marines as a memento of their service during a certain battle or time.

So when Buchanan was given a challenge coin that someone had lost at a local restaurant, he immediately committed himself to finding its owner.

“Challenge coins are a way to keep mementos of where we’ve been and what we’ve done,” said Buchanan, noting Marines can get fairly sentimental about these coins and what they represent.

“We want to get this Marine and his coin connected again.”

The red, black and gold coin was given to Buchanan by a manager at Loveland’s Applebee’s, 219 E. 29th St.

The manager had recently found it in one of the restaurant’s booths and was holding on to it in hopes the owner would come back.

After some time passed, the manager gave the coin to Buchanan, who was at the restaurant arranging the Loveland Marine Corps League’s upcoming breakfast fundraiser.

“He took out a tiny envelope, rolled out the coin and asked if I could help find the owner,” Buchanan remembered. “It seemed like a big task ... but you never know if you go out and ask.”

The coin’s inscription led to a few clues about its owner.

On the front, it reads: “Al-Anbar Province, Iraq,” as well as listing Camp Gannon, Camp Al-Asad and Camp Al-Qaim.

It has a date inscribed: Feb — Sept 2005.

The back of the coin is inscribed with “Third Battalion, Second Marines; Betio Bastards, Unus Supra.”

After asking around town and posting information on the league’s Web site, Buchanan turned to the Reporter-Herald in hopes of finding the coin’s Marine.

“This coin seemed like a pretty special one, since he served in battle,” he said.

“I’m putting the plea out there. If anyone knows this Marine or who it might belong to, please contact me.”

Buchanan can be reached at 667-6269 or through the league’s Web site, www.mcl-loveland-1250.com.

Ellie