PDA

View Full Version : Coming to profile in a town near you: New Police Car.

Alisium
10-08-09, 10:51 PM
Run Jet! :D <br />
<br />
j/k <br />
<br />
<br />
My Webpage

Alisium
10-08-09, 11:00 PM
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab204/Theeverse/carbon_motors_e7_image012.jpg

10-08-09, 11:01 PM
That looks cool. GM has a new cop car in the works, too. I think I may want one when they start showing up at auctions. http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/autos/0910/gallery.chevrolet_caprice_police/index.html

0331 2 0369
10-09-09, 06:46 AM
Here's another cool police car:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20091007/capt.daa71c6af1444502a43e9ce94d226599.aptopix_swit zerland_italian_police_car_bel104.jpg?x=400&y=280&q=85&sig=czEJHaXcdShBDHrAXmP_qw--

Two officers of Italian police, left and right, and their Swiss colleague pose near a Lamborghini Gallardo of Italian traffic police 'Polizia stradale', which is told to be the world's fastest police car, at a highway rest area in Bellinzona, southern Switzerland, Wednesday, Oct. 7, 2009. The Lamborghini will be presented at an international police meeting in the Netherlands.<CITE id=captionCite>(AP Photo/Keystone/Karl Mathis)</CITE>

sparkie
10-09-09, 06:52 AM
Things change

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_I_ixxWlWOZ0/Sl3ABdKbj7I/AAAAAAAAF7E/i9kocB5HWyY/old_police_car1%20(1)_thumb%5B3%5D.jpg

jetdawgg
10-09-09, 07:05 AM
http://www.lastinterceptor.com/O3.jpg

fallfast90
10-09-09, 12:29 PM
While i would love to have a car like that in our department, it will never see the light of day in actual patrol service (possibly promotional vehicle). There are a couple reasons. The first being mainly price. I have done a little research and they seem to be around 50k for 1 vehicle. They supposedly last 250k miles, but that initial cost is a big concern for a lot of departments. A single Crown Vic is about 18k, then throw on about another 7k for police equipment, and your still only sitting at 25k. So you could get 2 for the price of 1.

Another BIG downfall is that the equipment(radios, computers, etc.A) that comes in the car was designed stricktly for that vehicle. That means all current computers and possibly radios need to either be replaced or updated which will involve more money and time. I am sorry, but i think this will end up being just a cute little promo toy for a few departments.

Zulu 36
10-09-09, 01:00 PM
While i would love to have a car like that in our department, it will never see the light of day in actual patrol service (possibly promotional vehicle). There are a couple reasons. The first being mainly price. I have done a little research and they seem to be around 50k for 1 vehicle. They supposedly last 250k miles, but that initial cost is a big concern for a lot of departments. A single Crown Vic is about 18k, then throw on about another 7k for police equipment, and your still only sitting at 25k. So you could get 2 for the price of 1.

Another BIG downfall is that the equipment(radios, computers, etc.A) that comes in the car was designed stricktly for that vehicle. That means all current computers and possibly radios need to either be replaced or updated which will involve more money and time. I am sorry, but i think this will end up being just a cute little promo toy for a few departments.

Sure, 250,00 miles. Most big city police cars are ready to fall apart at 100,000 miles. At 150,000 miles they would come apart like the car in the Blues Brothers.

You can slam into only so many curbs before things start rattling.

Besides, those fancy cars need laser guided Tasers so jetdawgg's bully cops can have their fun too.

Zulu 36
10-09-09, 01:14 PM
Here's another cool police car:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20091007/capt.daa71c6af1444502a43e9ce94d226599.aptopix_swit zerland_italian_police_car_bel104.jpg?x=400&y=280&q=85&sig=czEJHaXcdShBDHrAXmP_qw--

Two officers of Italian police, left and right, and their Swiss colleague pose near a Lamborghini Gallardo of Italian traffic police 'Polizia stradale', which is told to be the world's fastest police car, at a highway rest area in Bellinzona, southern Switzerland, Wednesday, Oct. 7, 2009. The Lamborghini will be presented at an international police meeting in the Netherlands.<cite id="captionCite">(AP Photo/Keystone/Karl Mathis)</cite>

Too bad neither of the Italian police officers are from the Polizia Stradale. Both are Carabinieri. But the car is cool.

Petz
10-09-09, 01:26 PM

Another BIG downfall is that the equipment(radios, computers, etc.A) that comes in the car was designed strictly for that vehicle. That means all current computers and possibly radios need to either be replaced or updated which will involve more money and time. I am sorry, but i think this will end up being just a cute little promo toy for a few departments.

it's EXTREMELY low profile will be used for traffic stops. I see that happening, but the bigger cities with non-stop stop-and-go traffic will never get these. Cities like New York benefit from High visibility of the police force patrolling.

Cities like Detroit can't even afford their own police officers let alone a 50,000 plus cruiser.

but for the purposes of the Europeans, this Police whip is perfect. they've got lots of open stretches of road along that need to be policed.

Most Euro police have state of the art equipment in their police cars, I can't say the same thing for the US, but if you have these vehicles available around the time they are planning to upgrade to new tech, then you can see the marketing value of having these things bought.

besides, diesel is more prevalent in Europe than it is in the US so again, that's a new feature in their police cars.