PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal..

Borknagar
10-08-09, 01:11 PM
.. for a recruiter not to be interested in talking with you, although they aren't doing anything at the moment, no phones are ringing and the office is practically empty?

I walked into a recruiting office (finally) yesterday, have had a conversation over the phone beginning of this week letting them know when I'm coming, did end up speaking with three different Marine recruiters, only to be kind of shunned down - the first person to greet me was actually a Poolee in the station (there were 3 of them just hanging out in the back of the office, which was interesting)! The recruiters barely noticed me, so every freaking question and comment was initiated by me! So, I approached one of the Sergeants that was at his table, greeted and right off the bat got me to take the practice and while walking down to the room, he said that they're pretty busy and that "the Army is actually taking people right now.."... Without thinking I said "..no thanks..", but it didn't hit me until I left the office...

I finished the test quickly, passed, and he said go, PT, study and wait, even though I asked if we could just sit down for a few minutes and just talk, since there wasn't anything going and they weren't doing anything, at which he just reiterated what he just said, concluding that they can't do anything now (I did let them know that I follow trends and am familiar with the situation, plus have a couple friends that are Marines, plus we did settle that on the phone)... After trying to talk to the other recruiter (not much of a conversation, and there was a second Army reference..), I just thanked them and left...

Anyways, not to be too boring with miniscule details, the whole time there was an awkward feeling that I was in the wrong place and the conversations were always getting cut short (by them), so I almost felt like I had to pry out answers and any comments, or like I was interrogating them (which, again, didn't feel right)!

What did I do wrong? I feel disappointed and a bit as if I wasn't welcome and at the wrong place... At least, I didn't expect them to be so uninterested, to at least answer a couple of basic questions (pertaining to our area for example)....

I guess all I'm asking/complaining about is to pointers on what just happened, what went wrong and why did I get shot down..

Thanks for your time and effort Marines, I appreciate it.. :flag:

P.S. Should I haze myself?

mErKtWiSt
10-08-09, 01:25 PM
lol no you shouldnt haze yourself. Well that sucks you got treated like that. Im not sure if they have met their quotas for the month but that could be a reason. As far as them ignoring you thats just wrong, they should give you the time or make an appointment to sit and speak with you and answer whatever questions you have. Also if they were just hanging out not doing anything they shouldve made time for you. Second, if they reffered you twice to the Army (not sure why!!) but maybe it was your apperance, sorry if i offend but it could have been your weight, clothes, piercings or something that made them uninterested at the time. Its hard to say unless you approach them and ask them why that happened, they are there to work with you and SHOULD prepare you for boot camp. Just try to talk to them again and if they try the same method, keep being a pain in the ass to get them to talk to you. If you want to become a Marine, you have that right and they should give you the opportunity. If they said pt and wait, its probably because they want you to keep pting and talk to you next month when they can make their quotas. F**K that!!! go talk to them and see what you want.

Borknagar
10-08-09, 01:36 PM
To clarify appearance, I don't have any piercings or tatoos, I wore an Adidas active set (pants and t-shirt, color coordinated), Nike running shoes (coincidence, not a fashion crime), I'm 6-1, 220+ lbs, trimmed and short hair, w/ a 1 day shadow... I'm not fat, I'm just brawnier (whatever along those lines), and I did stress over the phone and when I arrived if we could talk a bit, but no direct reply! I didn't want to be rude or impolite, but I know what you mean by becoming a pain in the neck :) just my first trip there, didn't want to leave a (freakish) bad impression...

Also, the way he made the reference to the Army was kind of as if he didn't want to trouble himself, not really challenging me (in context), unless he did in fact think I am a monster (or a phat, lazy bastard)... ;)

slimmy07
10-08-09, 01:53 PM
Recruiters do "eyeball" screening, and not to offend you but they could have considered you over weight. If so, go PT and lose some LBS and come back to talk to them. There honestly could be a ton of reasons they didn't talk to you. I would have had to be there and seen what was going on to know. If your bothered by it, go to another recruiting station or talk to that recruiting stations NCOIC. Good luck

Borknagar
10-08-09, 02:30 PM
Ok, I see what you mean, and it makes sense somewhat. I was just hoping for a more direct approach then, by telling me 'the issue is this and that', but again, probably for legal purposes and people freaking out... I know I would've just taken it, and went with the flow...

I did think about other RSS, but I don't want it to look like I'm going behind their backs (I would like the original Recruiter to get credit, but then again.....)... although, a second opinion wouldn't hurt. ;)

Thanks for your input Marines, any others have input as to why I'd be referred to the Army? :) Maybe I'll do some experimentation...

slimmy07
10-08-09, 02:55 PM
maybe it's not a bad idea to check out all your options. I ALWAYS suggested to my applicants to check out all the branches. There is NOTHING wrong with looking at the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Coast Guard. The pay is all the same, but they each have different things to offer. I suggest you check out all the branches, if the Corps is still the way you want to go, then go back to that RSS and if they still don't talk to you go to another one till one of those offices enlists you God luck.

WKranz
10-08-09, 02:58 PM
Only thin I can think of is that the corps is not taking as many recruits as it once was, they probably want to make sure you want it enough to hang around.

Borknagar
10-08-09, 03:07 PM
Roger that and thank you for your insight Marines. One thing that I forgot to mention is that they also said that, in the midst of it all, they can't schedule me for the full ASVAB and IST (simply said that they can't after I asked why)... but what if I went to another branch RSS, and managed to get those results (I know that there are different line scores and physical requirements), would that maybe help? As in 'ok, these are the scores, pull up the compatible MOS list..' and work from there?
I was hoping to DEP in open contract at least, just to be in the system, but I understand, meeting those quotas faster might give them leniency, and as it was mentioned before on these forums, and be very picky (cutting people loose for marginal errors for example), so it sums up as not crazy for us wannabees right now! :D

Well, this helps me deal with the unknown for know, thanks again Marines!

P.S. Dammit, I just want in, how hard can it be.. ;)

Lisa 23
10-08-09, 03:35 PM
According to the chart I found, you're a few pounds overweight (don't mean to be rude) for your height (73 inches, min weight 144, max weight 208), that's why they told you to go PT. Drop a few pounds and then go back and see the Recruiters again. :thumbup:

Borknagar
10-08-09, 03:45 PM
No problem ma'am, I don't get insulted by being called fat, or names, it's just their conclusion is that all I can do in the meanwhile is prepare for the ASVAB and PT while not being able to administer the same on me. But sure thing, I will shed those pounds, dammit, even if I need to escape from Shawshank!

MyCorps
10-08-09, 03:53 PM
First off, quit your whining. If this is something you want then put on some thicker skin and get your ass back in there and try again. You won't always get the attention you want no matter where you go or what you do in life. It happens, so get over it. If they don't have the time for you (they do get busy) then come back again and again until they do. Start exercising, lose some weight and toughen up.

Borknagar
10-08-09, 04:01 PM
With all due respect Captain, I wasn't whining, I was just trying to get a second point of view, opinion and eventually correct the mistakes that I might have made. I'm not looking for attention, and I definitely don't have thin skin - I, me being a wannabee (outsider), was just looking for the correct course of action, that's all. I got the message other Marines were pointing out, I just didn't want to do anything without consultation (determination and self-esteem aren't an issue).

commdog7
10-08-09, 04:01 PM
The first thing that came to my mind when reading was your appearance. If your over-weight or dressed like a gangster, they would probably give you the cold-shoulder. But based on the later discription you gave, it sounded like you appearance really wasn't an issue. Second thing that comes to mind is your attitude. If they found you disrespectful in any way, even something as small as calling them 'dude' or 'Sarge', could get you thrown out of the office. Maybe you smelled like pot, I don't know. If you have a criminal history or require a waiver for something, they could have turned you away for that. There are too many people who want in, and the Corps is turning many of them away left and right because we don't have room for them. If you don't have your high school diploma, recruiters won't even bother talking to you. Based on your post, I take it there's something they don't like about you. I don't know you, so I hope you are smart enough to figure it out.

If there isn't anything that could possibly be wrong with your apparence, attitude, or history, then you just got to be persistant if you want in.

temarti
10-08-09, 04:05 PM
No worries Borknager, I don't think everyone took your post as whining. You have done a good job explaining your concern on what occured. Also, have done well with properly addressing the advice.

Continue to work on the recruiting station, go back in and ask them why they think you are not worth a conversation right now and what you need to work on to obtain your goal.

Borknagar
10-08-09, 04:10 PM
The first thing that came to my mind when reading was your appearance. If your over-weight or dressed like a gangster, they would probably give you the cold-shoulder. But based on the later discription you gave, it sounded like you appearance really wasn't an issue. Second thing that comes to mind is your attitude. If they found you disrespectful in any way, even something as small as calling them 'dude' or 'Sarge', could get you thrown out of the office. Maybe you smelled like pot, I don't know. If you have a criminal history or require a waiver for something, they could have turned you away for that. There are too many people who want in, and the Corps is turning many of them away left and right because we don't have room for them. If you don't have your high school diploma, recruiters won't even bother talking to you. Based on your post, I take it there's something they don't like about you. I don't know you, so I hope you are smart enough to figure it out.

If there isn't anything that could possibly be wrong with your apparence, attitude, or history, then you just got to be persistant if you want in.

Thanks for the insight, and more details about me - I never used, tried or touched any drugs, controlled substances, cigars/cigarettes in my life, which also includes injecting, no criminal or juvenile record (the worst thing I did is get a speeding ticket), I definitely didn't disrespect them (I called them by rank, last name, after I made sure on the phone how may I address them), didn't use any slang or unknown terminology, I have High School Diploma + some college, etc... and I have brown eyes.. :D (j/k....not)

Sorry for writing so much, I don't want this to end up on CNN or the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, just appreciate all the insight and your time!

commdog7
10-08-09, 04:14 PM
Times have changed. The recruiters are not trying to sell the Corps to you, you are trying to sell yourself to the Corps- think in that mentality. You have to show them why the Corps should invest in you, not the other way around. If they are impressed with what they see, they might just offer you a contract. Good Luck.

amarine0311
10-08-09, 04:15 PM
The Captain gave you the correct advice. He told you to keep trying and not to take "NO" for an answer. Remember you are a guest here...you came to an "ask a Marine" forum, some of the answers you get you may like, some you may not. Be thankful that a Captain took time to "redirect" you.
For the record...I took your post as whining as well.

Borknagar
10-08-09, 04:23 PM
@Commdog7 - Thanks, that's something that didn't come to my mind! Will do!

@amarine0311 - I already explained the situation, and my gratitude extends to both enlisted and officer personnel, for giving either negative or positive or neutral input, but I didn't say 'I quit' or that I am taking NO for an answer, nor do I have an intention of doing so. :) I know my place here (and in relation to the USMC), so out of respect I came for the correct Course Of Action (didn't mean to rhyme), that's all.

Whining = wrong expression.

Old Marine
10-08-09, 04:50 PM
Borknagar:

If I were a young man and walked into a Marine Corps Recruiting Office and was treated as you claim to have been treated, I would walk next door and sign on the dotted line for the Air Force.

The Marine Corps at the present time is going through some good time with young people enlisting for whatever reason. I will guarantee that if you go into an Air Force Recruiting Office, you will not be treated like ****. You will be treated as the adult that you are.

It also could have been that the Marine Recruiters that you tried to talk to were having PMS and forgot to conduct themselves as they were taught.

mErKtWiSt
10-08-09, 04:54 PM
Borknagar:

If I were a young man and walked into a Marine Corps Recruiting Office and was treated as you claim to have been treated, I would walk next door and sign on the dotted line for the Air Force.

The Marine Corps at the present time is going through some good time with young people enlisting for whatever reason. I will guarantee that if you go into an Air Force Recruiting Office, you will not be treated like ****. You will be treated as the adult that you are.

It also could have been that the Marine Recruiters that you tried to talk to were having PMS and forgot to conduct themselves as they were taught.

Couldnt agree more Old Marine!!

temarti
10-08-09, 10:21 PM
I have read through this a few times and still do not see where "whining" is even displayed in his first post or even responses. What I do see is someone who obviously has done his homework prior to walking in, it is apparent in the verbiage and knowledge of what he was expecting which did not match what he received.

He sounds mature enough to make the right decision and take the advice that was given in sincerity as well as ignore the cheap jabs.

Old Marine's advice is spot on.

MotherGoose
10-09-09, 08:28 AM
I agree with Old Marine 100%. When I read your post, my first reaction was "these recruiters seem lax as all get out..." The way you were treated seems pretty unsat, but I don't know what recruiters go through. I assume it is very stressful... anyways, explore all other military branches before making a decision. I did. Don't join the Corps on stereotypes and presumptions. Doesn't prove you are a man. Please refer to the thread on SSG Viles titled "let's put our differences aside... (or "let's put our rivalries aside"...)
btw, do you have any college credits? This may be another factor. I have heard that the Corps is being so selective, that you can't even enlist unless you have about 15 credit hours of college courses. Just a thought.
There wasn't any whining in your post. Sounds like you were let down by expecting high standards of excellence and discipline. What you encountered is not what you expected... this is why I say don't join the Corps blindly on presumptions and stereotypes.

Borknagar
10-10-09, 01:40 AM
@temarti and MotherGoose - I am glad you see it the way I meant it to be seen - and as you concluded, I did expect a lot, or more at least, from what I've heard, what I've seen and read (specially here on the forums), and last but not least the impression I had since I was a child... It all started with G.I. Joe btw., and discovering the story behind the actual Joe, who he was, what he did, and what affected me personally and could relate to, his ethnic origin! So, I was kind of let down and got lost right off the bat, but that's ok, I don't take that as a representation of the Corps nor do I think they are bad people - but obviously something went wrong with either them or me, but I'm past that.

Next course of action is, I am going there on Monday or after (depending on when the NCOIC comes back), just to get things straight, and see where I stand!

I appreciate all of the advices and thoughts, I did my research on the other branches (I actually did all of my homework a long time ago, but family tragedy prevented me from signing up 4-5 years ago), and I already know that both that the Air Force and Army have not only jobs that I would love, but they in a way cater to an enlistee's needs, possible overseas posts (Germany for example - a chance to work directly with the Bundeswehr, travel, get acquainted with another culture..), easier living conditions (so far), faster promotions (sometimes for no real or good reason), and also, how crazy is that you know your exact MOS before you sign your contract and swear in?!?!? Not just that, even though your MOS might not require it EVER, I could request 'perks' if I may put it that way, for example Airborne school, on my contract (subject to availability, other restrictions apply).. ;)

To conclude this post, and not get off topic, I know I won't quit and that's all I can say know, without trying to prolong this philosophy and turn it into a daytime special (starring Lorenzo Lamas) or make it about my dreams and wishes (except I have none)! :D :D

I will read that thread that you suggested, even though I researched on the net more about the 'rivalries' and pros and cons (not defecting, but doesn't hurt to know, the other side..).. One thing I am interested is, and not get too jambalaya, is opinions and points of view from you Marines at that very issue - 'rivalries' - if your are reading this topic, or are generally bored on the forums, and have extra time and energy to educate/share experiences with me!

Thanks!

P.S. Forgot to mention, as of now, I do have 22 semester units.

P.P.S. Another thing, just for general reference, I am aware that one doesn't need a patch, badge, rank, insignia, hashmarks/chevrons on my sleeve, collar, cover or shoulder to make one a man with honor, courage and commitment - we need to be this as men first, the rest will follow..

Borknagar
01-02-10, 02:17 PM
Update - I will be sealing the deal, if I may say so, sometime next week!
I went above and beyond, and will most likely be working with a recruiter from another state (Nevada) - got in touch with him through a friend of mine, which happens to be a Marine Reservist! And on top of that, they are able to offer me pretty much what I wanted - AD!