PDA

View Full Version : jacksonville's “Radio Rahim” or ‘The Jacksonville Ninja,”

thedrifter
10-08-09, 08:17 AM
Radio gets radio from local retailer
Comments 58 | Recommend 10
October 06, 2009 5:14 PM
MOLLY K. DEWITT

Radio is back to rockin’ thanks to a local retailer.

The Best Buy store in Jacksonville donated a stereo to Robert Earl Mattocks, otherwise known as “Radio Rahim” or ‘The Jacksonville Ninja,” Tuesday after two of the store’s employees decided to do something about the lack of music in Radio’s life.

Chastity Woolverton read the story in Sunday’s The Daily News that discussed Radio’s stereo, which was “too small … or lost,” and wanted to help. She spoke with her friend and co-worker Madison Ratliff and the two hatched a plan.

“Every time we see Radio we have to honk and smile,” Woolverton said. “It’s a good day if you’ve seen Radio.”

The pair approached their boss, Best Buy General Manager Ryan Coplen, told him of Radio’s plight and asked if there was any way the store could help.

“(Coplen) always helps out in any way,” Ratliff said. “He was immediately open to the idea.”

Ratliff said the local Best Buy often donates money to charitable causes, and she and Woolverton couldn’t think of a better cause than Radio.

Coplen said he did not hesitate in facilitating the women’s request.

“I’ve been here two years, and I’ve seen him multiple times and I think he’s awesome,” he said. “Anything to help our local community, I almost always say yes.”

Radio told The Daily News Tuesday that he’s been without a radio for several months and that having music to dance and work out to makes things more fun.

“I just love to do it,” he said. “It makes me feel good. That’s all I want to do. I just like being outside in the fresh air.”

Radio’s joyful presence and the impact he has on the city’s citizens were the main reasons Woolverton and Ratliff wanted to help Radio get his music back.

“If I could smile like that every time I met someone, my life would be great,” Woolverton said. “For me personally it’s probably a little selfish. I need to see him.”

Ratliff said seeing Radio around town reminds her of her hometown of Akron, Ohio, where she often saw street performers.

“He’s like an icon of Jacksonville. As far as culture goes in Jacksonville we’ve got Marines and we’ve got ‘The Jacksonville Ninja,’” she said.

While Coplen said Radio was free to choose whatever stereo he wanted, Woolverton and Ratliff had an eye on one they thought he might like.

“Me and Charity have one picked out — the biggest and the best for him,” Ratliff said. “But it’s up to Radio. It’s his radio.”

After hearing of Best Buy’s offer, Radio headed over to the store to pick out a new stereo. Ratliff and Woolverton met him there and showed him the radio they thought he might like — and he did.

“It’s good. That’s what I want — something heavy,” he said. “That’s the right kind. I’m glad they picked it out.”

Woolverton and Ratliff were so excited about helping Radio that they even made him a compilation CD with songs like “Kung Fu Fighting,” and Woolverton’s personal favorite, “Feels Good” by Tony Toni Tone, because it’s the first song she ever heard Radio dancing to.

“I’m happy he’s got some tunes now,” Ratliff said.

Radio left Best Buy Tuesday afternoon, new stereo in hand, with the radio already tuned to his favorite station and plans to stop by the mall and then “workout.”

“I love it. It’s pretty. It’s beautiful,” he said.

Contact Molly DeWitt at 910-219-8455 or mdewitt@freedomenc.com.

Ellie

Whitey
10-11-09, 01:50 PM
ooh-rah! i tried my hardest to show my mom and sister-in-law when they were down him. he makes the day so much better.

ArmyAviationMom
10-22-09, 02:05 PM
YEAH I never did get to see him. Don't worry I will be coming down that way again!!..and SON! WTH did you learn how to spell?? Isn't "him" suppose to be "here" OK I AM DUCKING NOW!! LOL