PDA

View Full Version : Lookout Tun Tavern, here comes Pub 1795

thedrifter
10-07-09, 08:17 AM
Lookout Tun Tavern, here comes Pub 1795

10/6/2009 By Pfc. Daniel Boothe , Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton

Hundreds of patrons flocked to Marine Corps Community Services’ grand opening of Pub 1795 in the San Luis Rey Housing Area, Camp Pendleton, Oct. 2.

MCCS’s new pub is now the second officers’ bar on base in addition to South Mesa Club’s, “The O,” near the base’s front gate.

“Clubs like these are integral to our Corps and our history,” said Lt. Col. Philip M. Pastino, commanding officer, Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 267, Marine Corps Air Station, Camp Pendleton, who attended the opening. “As a commanding officer, I’m very pleased that I have a place to take my Marines to talk about work outside the work environment.”

Both facilities were built to serve as a social and recreational center for Camp Pendleton’s officer community every Friday from 4 to 9 p.m. and are open to all active-duty and retired military officers and government employees, GS7 or above, said Dan Donovan, director, Food and Hospitality, Marine Corps Community Services, Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton.

Any other time the facilities are open to the entire base community with reservations on a first come, first served basis.

“It was a lot of fun,” said Lt. Col. Duffy H. Woodford, helicopter pilot, Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 774, Norfolk, Va., as he left the pub’s opening. “I was stationed out here nine years and now I am back for some training and saw tons of people I knew.”

The pub will also host special activities on the fourth Friday of every month. This month patrons are encouraged to wear costumes to Pub 1795’s Halloween Social on Oct. 30.

“Planning and renovation for Pub 1795 only started three weeks ago,” said Donovan. “It has been a real team effort.”

Recent construction of new homes in this area is expected to boost the neighborhood population which in turn will help to support the pub.

“I would ask the rest of Pendleton to come out and support the clubs so they don’t fall by the wayside,” added Pastino.

For additional information or to schedule Pub 1795 call MCCS directly at (760) 763-3200.

Ellie