PDA

View Full Version : Having a baby..

Kmwhite08
10-06-09, 04:08 PM
Hello Marines what should I do now that my girl is pregnant? I am scheduled to leave for boot camp Feb 22 2010 and I would give the world to not miss my kids birth.

Should I ask to have my ship date pushed back and spend this time with the girl? Or spend the time I have now with her, go to boot camp, and hope I can get the time off during MOS school?

Thank you for the advice Marines..

Supersquishy
10-06-09, 04:22 PM
You only get to see your child born ONCE. After seeing mine born, I would not trade that moment for all the gold in the world. But its really up to you, only you can decide for yourself. Are you married?

dizark
10-07-09, 01:28 AM
I saw my first daughter born, but unfortunately was not there for my second daughters birth last month. It really sucks!

Kmwhite08
10-07-09, 10:38 AM
No sir I am not married but we are planning on it in hopes to make supporting the child easier. Seeing how Im only 19 I doubt the Corps will give allow me to have on base housing but I will figure all that when I get there.

Thank you for the help Marines..

USCFIGHTONUSC
10-07-09, 11:18 AM
Hello Marines what should I do now that my girl is pregnant? I am scheduled to leave for boot camp Feb 22 2010 and I would give the world to not miss my kids birth.

Should I ask to have my ship date pushed back and spend this time with the girl? Or spend the time I have now with her, go to boot camp, and hope I can get the time off during MOS school?

Thank you for the advice Marines..

Once you ship out to boot camp you take the chance of not being there. There are no guarantees of them letting you come home at any time.

I can't tell you what to do, but what I can tell you is that you enlisted and signed a contract. Don't expect the USMC to bend over backwards for you. If this happens again later on what will happen then?

There is only one way to guarantee you being there, and that is to move you ship date.

0331 2 0369
10-07-09, 11:31 AM
Not sure of your reason for joining the Marine Corps but you have to weigh everything at once and don't compare them seperately. Seeing your kid born is a great experience. I missed my first one but was there for the second. What a great memory. Does you wanting to be a Marine outweigh possibly missing out on seeing your kid born? Thats a tough question you have to answer. Could always check into moving your shipdate up instead of sliding it back. Still no guarentee you would be able to take leave and be home for it. If you are married when that time approaches, it will be easier to get time off. Not saying jump through the hoops and get married but just a thought if you are already talking/planning on getting married.

one more thing...... Good for you for taking an interest.:thumbup: Most single men find out their girl is pregnant and they run the other dirrection.

polizei
10-07-09, 11:52 AM
If it were me, I would push your ship date back and see your baby born. I wouldn't want to miss that, and there's not always the possibility of you taking leave, especially while in training. I would also (if you are really thinking about it) get married before you go to boot. It makes things much easier (paper-work wise) to get everything done before boot. Also, you'll make a lot more money, which should help supporting your family.

You'll be able to get housing when you get to the fleet, if you are married. However, while marriage might sound better, you have to want it for yourself, and make sure you are committed and want to stay with her. Hope that helps a little.

commdog7
10-07-09, 12:23 PM
The Corps can wait. Get your ship date moved, you won't regret it.

Phantom Blooper
10-07-09, 01:59 PM
The Corps can wait. Get your ship date moved, you won't regret it.

And next time wear a sock!:evilgrin:

mErKtWiSt
10-07-09, 04:43 PM
I would agree with 0331, i would think the best idea is for you to move your ship date up. If you do this you will be able to graduate boot camp become a marine and have her come with you to your duty station. If you push it back yes you will be there for the birth and thats great but you also run the risk of having her stress out and you will probably be stressed not being there for the first three months of your childs life. This honestly could be something that ruins your relationship, she could think that you left her behind, or let her do the hard part etc... or nothing might happen at all. I would say move your date up if you are passionate about becoming a Marine and do it that way.

Also dont forget that deployments are something that come up in the future so try to think about what is best for you and your family right now.

sparkie
10-07-09, 04:52 PM
I was there for 3 being born,,,Yuk. Go to boot. The best thing you can see is the kids leaving home.

Kmwhite08
10-08-09, 12:59 PM
Thank you Marines for the help. I have talked to her about it and we will get married before I leave for boot camp, just a small wedding and later on we might do something a little bigger. Right now my proiorities are see my kids birth then become a Marine, the fleet will always be there but the kids only going to be born once.

So, Thank you again for the advice!

0331 2 0369
10-08-09, 01:11 PM
Good to go. Keep us posted on your progress and when you go to Boot Camp. And post a pic of the kid once he/she is born.:beer: