PDA

View Full Version : regarding Marine Reserves, age, MOS sec clearances, and USMC Martial Arts

Colter H
10-06-09, 01:19 AM
Good evening Marines -

Before I post my questions I should mention that I am listed as a "Poolee" by my own mistake. I should be listed under "Marine Family." This is why I don't have recruiter information listed, etc. I have contacted the Administrators and I believe they have to change my status.

This is my first post. Although I come from a huge "Marine Family" of both Officers and Enlisted Marines and realize that Recruiters are there to answer my questions as well, I have found this website to be a valuable. I hope I have done my research well enough that I am not clogging the board with too many topics that have already been covered.

1) Current age requirements for the US Marine Reservist recruits? I have found conflicting information on this. Some websites claim it is 29, while others claim it is 28 - the same age as Marine active-duty recruits.

2) Marine Reservists vs. Active-duty Marines? I think that if I were to be accepted as a recruit and given my chance, I would opt for active duty in a heartbeat. However, I am exploring all options. Is it possible to switch to active duty if a Marine begins in the Reserves? If a Marine enters the Reserves, it is my understanding that there is some kind of initial active duty requirement. Is this correct, or can a Marine begin and end his or her duty solely in the Reserves? Are Reserve Officers required to devote more time into the Reserves?

3) Security Clearances. I do not think that I have ever done anything that would hurt me in this respect, but I still feel concerned about this and I think it would be best for me to offer a true scenario: I was set to live with a group of guys in college and it fell through. I found myself having to find a home fast, so I looked around in the ad's for room mates and found a house that seemed acceptable; I laid out my expectations and everything seemed fine. I waited and asked around about the guys, checked their reputation, and spent many nights on my buddy's couch. Eventually, I move in. Long story short, one day I wake up to Police Officers knocking on my bedroom door! Turns out one of my new roommates took his hot-rod out for a joy ride after downing a 6 pack of beer x 2...got pulled over, ran, and came back home. They found him in his bedroom and I think he had drugs or at least something he should not have had (he claims his car was stolen.) I let the Police search my room and, of course, I had nothing illegal or even anything to worry about. Sorry for the long story, but that is they type of thing that concerns me. My main question is, will I have the opportunity to mention something like this, or maybe provide the names of the Police officers that will confirm that I wasn't breaking any laws? I do not know if I am worrying needlessly, but it seems that something like this would raise a red flag. Then again it was my mistake to move into a place like that and I made the choice to live with those people. I am confident in my character and I believe that a background investigation wouldn't hurt me, but I have questions as I am sure everyone does. I am sorry for asking such a long question, but any information on concerns like this one would be appreciated.

Also, would The Marines consider student loans to be "bad debt?" I have significantly far less than the average student with multiple degrees - I have always worked myself through school and I am proud of that. However, I have a (very) small government loan that I took out for tuition and expenses one semester.

I apologize for asking so much about that topic. I should probably focus on becoming a Marine - that is challenge enough at the moment.

4) I have found quite a lot of posts concerning older Marine recruits. I have discussed this with my Marine family and friends and no one has discouraged me. As for myself, I am 26 now but I am in extremely good physical condition. No one has voiced concern over my ability to meet the physical requirements - and believe me, they would! They are not worried about hurting my feelings. I would think that I am mentally strong and able to adapt. I am not a person who would have issues with having younger individuals as my superiors. Any additional experiences or opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

5) The Marine Corps Martial Arts Program. Do The Marines hire outside or civilian instructors for any portion or aspect of this program? Is the Instructor-Trainer position for this program a specific MOS, or something a Marine does on top of other responsibilities? I have trained in martial arts for a long time. Should I mention this type of thing to a recruiter? I am not trying to brag and I understand the knowledge I have is nothing when compared to The Marine Corps, but it is an important part of me.

I originally intended to post more questions, but this is too long already and I apologize for that - most of the posts seem shorter. I hope that none of these questions are unanswerable - I realize that recruiters are the primary reference for a lot of these topics but I feel as if it never hurts to look for answers in as many places as you can. I have looked over what I have written to try to catch any errors in capitalization, spelling, or Marine terminology. However, I apologize if anything is incorrect. Thank you for and input and thank you for putting yourself in harm's way for the freedom that individuals should never take for granted!

Wyoming
10-06-09, 08:23 AM
I like your profile. Good.

Your age is no problem. With your college bit, go the Officer route.

Can't answer the question on MCMAP or Reserves.

IMHO, the clearance bit, assuming it is all factual, should not pose a problem.

I like your post. Broken down into meaningful questions. Wish I could help more.

NoRemorse
10-06-09, 08:34 AM
1) Under 29.

2) As a Reservist you will be a reservist drilling as per your unit's schedule with the possibility of activation prior to deployment. No idea how it works for officers.

3) You'll be asked about where you lived and who you lived with during prior to the investigation on the SC forms. Answer direct questions.

As for bad debt, bad debt is excessive debt that you won't be able to pay at your current pay grade, debt that is late or delinquent, in collections, in judgement, in lien or otherwise in any status not current.

4) I had a 28 year old in my platoon in Boot. He was the Grand Old Man of the platoon. You'll be fine. Your age may or may not come up. Judging from your post you're likely to be a no-name recruit, as in average, middle-of-the-pack, not getting destroyed on an hourly basis.

If a lender is calling your command at all hours of the day regarding your unpaid debt consider it a bad debt.

5) Mention your martial arts experience to your recruiter. Sufficient experience and a belt of sufficient grade would in most cases meet the requirements for tan belt training (the first level of MCMAP).

You'll be instructed by Marines who have earned their instructor stripes during MCMAP classes in Boot. Once in the fleet you'll most likely have to hunt for an instructor and train with him along with fulfilling any other duty requirements, MCIs, etc...

Thank you for using paragraphs, proofreading, and generally assembling a well put together post. While you could have googled a few of your questions away or searched the threads; the format you presented them in showed enough respect for us that you're probably going to get more answers as the day goes on.

I'd also second BigAl and suggest that you consider speaking to someone regarding the commissioning process.

stretchusa
10-06-09, 08:34 AM
From what I've just read you sound like you have the makings of a good Marine. <br />
<br />
I agree with BigAl, if you have your degree and you have the drive I would look into going officer route. <br />
<br />
The...

Lisa 23
10-06-09, 03:26 PM
Here's some info on the MCMAP. I hope it helps.

Structure & Belt System

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/74/MCMAP_Belt_Structure.png/300px-MCMAP_Belt_Structure.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MCMAP_Belt_Structure.png)

The program uses an advancement system of colored belts similar to that of most martial arts. The different levels of belts are:

Tan belt, the lowest color belt and conducted during entry level training, signifies the basic understanding of the mental, physical, and character disciplines. It is the minimum requirement of all Marines with a training time of 27.5 hours and has no prerequisites. Recruits receive these belts after completion of a practical application test on all of the basic techniques of the Tan Belt.
Gray belt is the second belt attained after 39 hours of training. It signifies an intermediate understanding of the basic disciplines. The prerequisites for this belt are as follows: The Marine must complete the "Leading Marines" course from the Marine Corps Institute, and most instructors will require a report be completed on The Marine Raiders.
Green belt is the third belt, requiring 44 hours of training. This belt signifies understanding of the intermediate fundamentals of the different disciplines. This is the first belt level in which one can become an instructor, which allows him or her to teach tan and grey belt techniques with the power to award the appropriate belt. The prerequisites for this belt include a recommendation from reporting senior, and to be an instructor requires the Marine to be a Corporal or higher.
Brown Belt is the fourth belt level requiring 56.5 hours of training. It introduces Marines to the advanced fundamentals of each discipline. In addition, as with green belts, they may be certified as MAIs and teach tan through green techniques. Prerequisites for this belt include recommendation of reporting senior, rank of Corporal or higher (able to waiver to LCpl), and appropriate PMEs completed for rank (Such as Corporal's Course).
Black belt 1st degree is the highest belt color and requires 62.5 hours of supervised training. It signifies knowledge of the advanced fundamentals of the different disciplines. A 1st degree black belt instructor may teach fundamentals from tan to brown belt and award the appropriate belt. In addition, a black belt can become an instructor-trainer, which authorizes them to teach and award all belts, as well as teach and certify instructors. Prerequisites include recommendation of reporting senior, rank of Sergeant or above, and appropriate level of PME completed (such as Sergeant's Course.)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/99/MAIC_Black_Belt.jpg/200px-MAIC_Black_Belt.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MAIC_Black_Belt.jpg)
An instructor-trainer displays his belt

There are an additional 5 degrees of black belt, with several of the same common prerequisites, including recommendation of reporting senior, appropriate level of PME completed, must be a current MAI or MAIT. Black belt 2nd degree to 6th degree signify that the holder is an authority in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program. In addition to the above prerequisite, each belt also has its own rank requirements.

Black belt 2nd degree requires the rank of Sgt or above.
Black belt 3rd degree requires the rank of SSgt or above.
Black belt 4th degree requires the rank of GySgt for enlisted and Major or higher for officers.
Black belt 5th degree requires the rank of MSgt/1stSgt for enlisted and Major or higher for officers.
Black belt 6th degree requires the rank of MGySgt/SgtMaj for enlisted and LtCol or higher for officers.
Because the belts are worn with the Marine's Utility Uniform, the complete range of belt colors such as red, yellow or purple are excluded as a practical consideration. Once a Marine obtains his gray belt, he can attend an additional training course (such as those at the two Schoolz of Infantry) to become a martial arts instructor (secondary MOS 0916, formerly 8551). MCMAP instructors can train other Marines up to their current belt level, and certify Marines at one level below their current belt level. A green belt instructor can therefore certify others for tan and gray belts, a brown belt instructor can certify tan, gray, and green, and so on. The instructor status is signified by one vertical tan stripe on the MCMAP belt. A Marine must have attended at least the Martial Arts Instructor (MAI) course to advance beyond first degree black belt. The only one who can train a Marine to be an instructor are black belt Martial Arts Instructor-Trainers (MAIT). An MAIT's status is signified by a vertical red stripe on the MCMAP belt and a secondary MOS of 0917 (formerly 8552). To become an MAIT, a Marine must have already completed a local MAI course. The Marine then attends the MAIT course at the Martial Arts Center of Excellence in Marine Corps Base Quantico.
MCMAP techniques can be taught to other services and to foreign military members, and belts awarded to those who complete the course.

Colter H
10-06-09, 11:50 PM
Thank you very much Marines.

Colter H
10-07-09, 06:19 AM
Thank you also for the encouraging words Marines!

brian0351
10-09-09, 08:04 AM
Just another note on your security clearance.

Assuming you get an MOS that requires a TS.

You will be asked to provide a record of where you've lived for the past 10 years (I think, I can't remember how far back). As well as someone who can confirm you did indeed live at each address.

You didn't do any drugs, the police didn't file a report with you connected in any way? You will be fine. A security clearance is all about consistency. Once you answer a question, don't change that answer for ANY reason because then your whole investigation integrity comes into question. Also, don't volunteer ANY information that isn't required.

You should list it as this "Lived 100 1st St Jan 05 - Mar 05 *insert person to confirm*) Now the person you list doesn't have to be your roommate, it could be a friend of yours or a neighbor who knew you. Just someone who can say "Yup, he lived there"