PDA

View Full Version : This ever happen to you?

ridingcrops
10-05-09, 10:50 PM
Well I have run intp this a couple of times before but twice in recent weeks.
I sold a car to a guy who was with the Presidents Own. Now these are contract musicians who audition for the band and sign a contract with honorary rank for the duration of their contract and then audition again. This is a ceremonial position and not real Marines.
A clown at work told me they could be sent to Iraq at any time since the were Marines. I tried to explain how it worked and he tells me I don't know what I'm talking about. This from a maggot who has never been in any service.
then just over hte weekend I am in a bar with friends for the ball games. Some "Marine" came over and started a chat. I listened to this guy and said something about being part of the Navy. This guy looks at me like I have two heads. Then he starts to tell me he is a Marine and they don't have anything to do with the Navy. Don't I know that there is the Army, the Navy, the Air Force and the Marines?
Now the first guy is just an idiot. I don't know if the second guy was a poser and an idiot. He did have a high and tight but nothing else to show he was in.
Has anyone else run into idiots that try to tell them about the Corps?

ridingcrops
10-05-09, 10:54 PM
I forgot to mention the one with a woman I used to work with. She was selling a dress to a lady who played the harp. She told me she was with the Marine marching band. LMAO

Alisium
10-05-09, 11:08 PM
There are plenty of Marines in the Marine Corps, who's job it is to play an instrument. One went to recruit training with me. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGgStOMuwFs

samthomas
10-05-09, 11:24 PM
Aside from not going to boot camp, and enlisting at an elevated rank, it appears they are Marines. Feel free to tell them they are just honorary Marines, and see what happens.

How many people are in “The President’s Own”?

“The President’s Own” consists of:

5 Officers
1 Drum Major
Approximately 130 Musicians
22 full-time professional support staff
These Marine Band personnel are enlisted in the United States Marine Corps under Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) 5511 (Member, U.S. Marine Band). Marine Band commissioned and warrant officers serve under MOS 5505 and 5506.

Marines from different MOS fields within the Fleet Marine Forces also are assigned to “The President’s Own” in the following fields:

Assistant Drum Major (MOS 5521)
Administration (MOS 0121, 0151)
Stage Crew (MOS 0311)
Supply (MOS 3043)
These Marines are assigned to “The President’s Own” for their tour of duty at Marine Barracks Washington in Washington, D.C.

Are the musicians members of the U.S. Marine Corps?

Yes. Marines of “The President’s Own” take the same oath, enlist for the same initial four-year term, are subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice, receive the same pay and allowances, and adhere to the same height and weight standards as other enlisted Marines of their grade.

Why are members enlisted as Staff Sergeants (Grade E-6)?

Because of the many years invested in their musical education, members of “The President’s Own” enlist in the Marine Corps already trained to perform at the high level of skill required. It would be difficult for the Marine Corps to recruit individuals who possess such expertise (many hold bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees in their field) at salaries dramatically lower than what they could be expected to earn in the private sector.

Why aren’t members sent to recruit training (boot camp)?

The Marine Band’s primary mission is to perform for the President of the United States and the Commandant of the Marine Corps. After passing a rigorous audition, much like those of professional symphony orchestras, new members go through the enlistment process at their local recruiter’s office. Upon enlistment, new members report directly to “The President’s Own.” Before performing with the band, new members undergo a six week training period taught by the Assistant Drum Major that covers military customs and courtesies, ceremonial drill, uniform regulations and all essential military subjects. Unlike the other musical organizations in the Marine Corps, “The President’s Own” has no secondary tactical or combat mission.

How long do most people stay in “The President’s Own”?

Roughly 60% of “The President’s Own” members are career Marines who remain for 20 years or more.

http://www.marineband.usmc.mil/who_we_are/faq/index.htm

bucksgted
10-05-09, 11:46 PM
Several times in the past 20 years, The President's Own has been a part of our Community Concert Series. Without exception, each performance has been standing room only. These men and women do an OUTSTANDING job of representing our beloved Corps.

The above quotes are reproduced in their performance agendas. The concluding piece of the concert has always been the Songs of the Services, ending with The Marine Corps Hymn. Brings the house down.

It's possible that the lady harp player also marched with a Marine Band while playing a different instrument. Most recent example I have, is my nephews graduating boot camp platoon (Sept. 12, 2008) had a young man that played the flute. After MCT, he was reporting to "I don't recall where" as a member of the band -- just not The President's Own.

ridingcrops
10-06-09, 09:07 PM
I don't want anyone to think I was getting down on these musicians I think they do an excellent job representing the Corps. But the ones who play the
White House and ceremonial functions are contract musicians who audition. Don't get them confused with the Marines who audition for the marching band who come from all ranks of the Corps.
They aren't the ones who go thru boot camp and get to be in the Marines from training. They do have to meet certain physical requirements and they have to dress as Marines and conduct themselves that way. But they are not the same as the rest of the Corps.

slug
10-06-09, 10:07 PM
Several times in the past 20 years, The President's Own has been a part of our Community Concert Series. Without exception, each performance has been standing room only. These men and women do an OUTSTANDING job of representing our beloved Corps.
Yes, they represent out Corps; they are not of our Corps.

That's all that's trying to be said.