PDA

View Full Version : Brothers give life to old saying

thedrifter
08-12-03, 04:08 PM
Brothers give life to old saying
Submitted by: MCAS Iwakuni
Story Identification Number: 200381205312
Story by Cpl. Jan Bender

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION IWAKUNI, Japan -- Throughout history many have referred to the Marine Corps as a brotherhood or a "band of brothers." The hardships and trials Marines endure create eternal friendships and a unique brand of camaraderie. For two Marines here, the bond they share was fraternal before they ever enlisted.

The Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 12 aviation supply clerks, 23-year-old Sgt. Jose Norori Jr. and his 28-year-old brother, Cpl. Edgard Norori, have been by each other's side through thick and thin ever since they can remember.

"We were born and raised for the first part of our lives in Nicaragua," said Edgard.

"When I was 18 and Jose was 12 our family moved to Miami. I worked hard to learn English, started attending college and worked a steady job to pay for it."

Several years went by and Jose graduated high school and started down the same path his brother had taken.

"I started working and going to college as well, but I wanted something more," said Jose. "As kids, Edgard and I used to watch all the old war movies, and we talked about serving our country. We wanted to earn our citizenship honorably. The only thing holding me back from enlisting in the Corps was that I was waiting on my United States residency to be approved."

On March 3, 2000, both of the brothers were approved for their residency, and 25 days later Jose was in recruit training in Parris Island, S.C. Marine Combat Training and Military Occupational Specialty School all went as expected for Jose, and he was stationed at Camp Pendleton, Calif., for seven months when he received a phone call.

"Edgard called and told me he had joined the Corps on an open contract, made it through basic and MCT and was on his way to MOS school in Meridian, Mississippi," laughed Jose. "It turns out he was going to be in the same job field."

Now stationed together here, the two brothers work in the same shop and use the natural competitiveness that spawns between brothers to push one another.

"Just in day-to-day stuff we are always challenging one another," said Edgard. "The competitiveness between us is what makes us excel. No matter what it is I know he?s not but a few steps behind me, and that just makes me push more and the same goes for him."

Jose agreed with his brother and made a valid point as he said, "Sometimes my brother's years of experience pays off, and other times my age pays off."

Although the brothers are constantly at one another's throats when it comes to anything competitive, Jose said he couldn't ask for a closer friend.

"At the end of the day when I come in and I'm unlacing my boots I don't just have a friend to talk to, but I've got a brother," said Jose. "Throughout your career in the Corps you make friends, they come and go, but having a brother by your side is a real blessing."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200381205756/$file/brotherslow.jpg

Brothers Cpl. Edgard and Sgt. Jose Norori Jr., above, serve together with MALS-12.
Photo by: Cpl. Jan Bender

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: