PDA

View Full Version : Counter Intel

jcox0311
10-05-09, 10:42 AM
I have been thinking about pursuing a lat move into Counter Intelligence but have been having some trouble finding information about the MOS. I just kind of assumed the lack of info was consistent with the MOS, however, does anyone know if there is any information material available and if so where do I look? Any responses will be appreciated. Thanks

BR34
10-05-09, 12:12 PM
Google "USMC MOS 0231". Might find something worth reading.

jackson07
10-05-09, 02:20 PM
Some good information on this forum also.

0231Marine
10-06-09, 11:39 AM
Google "USMC MOS 0231". Might find something worth reading.

CI is 0211, not 31

DocGreek
10-06-09, 03:40 PM
:D..."Counter Intelligence"...is that what I get at the local 7~11??
NOW THAT'S AN OXYMORON...at 7~11???:D

Accord
10-06-09, 09:03 PM
I have been thinking about pursuing a lat move into Counter Intelligence but have been having some trouble finding information about the MOS. I just kind of assumed the lack of info was consistent with the MOS, however, does anyone know if there is any information material available and if so where do I look? Any responses will be appreciated. Thanks

MCWP 2-14 is what you need to read. Any other questions that weren't answered by reading the pub should be referred to the CI recruiter located at whichever CI/HUMINT Company is closest to where you are stationed. Call up the OOD of the Intel Bn closest to you and ask for the phone number to CI recruiting.

v Alucard
10-06-09, 09:08 PM
Your best bet would be to talk to your CRS. Coincidentally, I have my Reenlistment/Lateral Move paperwork for 0211 on my desk, currently. I'm looking to leave for school after the WESTPAC deployment that I am on. From what I hear, you learn a language, learn stalking techniques, learn interrogation procedures, among many other things. 0211s deploy with MARSOC, JTFs, MAGTFs, and a few other groups like NCIS. I'm going through with it and so is my counterpart. The $82,000 reenlistment bonus is pretty nice, along with all of the sick training.

Cryptic13
01-29-10, 06:30 AM
Your best bet would be to talk to your CRS. Coincidentally, I have my Reenlistment/Lateral Move paperwork for 0211 on my desk, currently. I'm looking to leave for school after the WESTPAC deployment that I am on. From what I hear, you learn a language, learn stalking techniques, learn interrogation procedures, among many other things. 0211s deploy with MARSOC, JTFs, MAGTFs, and a few other groups like NCIS. I'm going through with it and so is my counterpart. The $82,000 reenlistment bonus is pretty nice, along with all of the sick training.

Did you ever finish your lat move? You don't always learn a language. You have to take the Defense Language Aptitude Battery (test) to figure out if the Defense Department thinks you are capable of learning a foreign language. After you take that and if the Marine Corps deems you worthy of learning a language, then you MIGHT go learn one after CI school. For the most part everything you said is correct, I am going to OJT at 2nd Intel Bn in June then go to school sometime in the future. There are many opportunities for one to learn while in the MOS, jump school, SERE school, photography, advanced AT/FP and so on. If you have access to secure websites check out the 1st Intel Bn's website which you can google and they have a lot of good information about CI/HUMINT.

dkorea918
02-21-10, 06:09 PM
heh good luck with school... no walk in the park that's for sure. Just graduated. Have fun with it, and again, good luck.

seandrapac
02-22-10, 07:15 AM
I just got out at the end of january but due to several factors I am thinking about going back in and making a career out of it. I am going to the local recruiting office in a day or two to get some more info bu I thought I would try to get some info here first.

I was an 0341 (mortar man) but all my scores were high enough to get just about any job. I was wondering if it is possible to re-enlist into the 2011 field after being out. Also how hard is it to pick up in that mos. My cutting score for sgt was locked out for almost the whole last year I was in so I got out as a cpl.

TinDragon
02-22-10, 07:23 AM
Job Requirements:
(1) Must be a male corporal or sergeant of any MOS. Staff sergeants may apply for a lateral move; however, must have less than one-year time in grade and a waiver from (MM) and DIRINT.
NOTE: This MOS is now open to female Marines, effective September 2008.
(2) Must be interviewed and recommended for a lateral move by screening board of CI/HUMINT personnel.
(3) Must possess a GT score (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/asvab.htm) of 110 or higher.
(4) Must take the Defense Language Aptitude Battery (http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/dlab.htm) (DLAB) test and be willing to undergo language training. Marines who can meet the minimum standard Defense Language Proficiency Test (http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/dlab.htm) (DLPT) score ( 2/2 or better) for a language may be excluded from the DLAB requirement. A foreign language capability is not required for active duty 0211 MOS. Reserve Marines with a foreign language capability verified by DLPT scores, desiring a lateral move into the 0211 MOS should have completed language training prior to affecting the lateral move.
(5) Prior to entry into DLI, Marine must have sufficient obligated service to allow 24 months remaining upon graduation.
(6) Must be a volunteer.
(7) Must be a U.S. citizen.
(8) Must be eligible for a top-secret security clearance (http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/security.htm) and access to Sensitive Compartmented Information predicated upon a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) Application for the SSBI must be submitted prior to attendance of the MAGTF Counterintelligence/HUMINT Course at NMITC, Dam Neck, VA.
(9) Must be 21 years of age prior to lateral move into the CI/HUMINT MOS.
(10) Marine must complete the Nelson-Denney examination or Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) examination at a base education center or similarly accredited education establishment and achieve a minimum score of 10.
(11) Marines must complete the MAGTF CI/HUMINT Course, Navy Marine Corps Intelligence Training Center (NMITC), Dam Neck, VA.
(12) Prior to entry into the MAGTF CI/HUMINT Course, must have sufficient obligated service to allow 36 months remaining upon graduation.
(13) Prior to entry into DLI, must have sufficient obligated service to allow 24 months remaining upon graduation.
(14) Must have taken an accredited typing test and attained a minimum score of 30 words per minute.
(15) Must submit to a Counterintelligence Scope Polygraph Examination. (16) Must possess a valid U.S. driver's license.

Jesus Christ, that's a lot of requirements. Basically, you need to be a Cpl or Sgt (you're good there), be eligible for a TS clearance, take the DLAB, have a GT of at least 110 (probably waiverable down to 100), and then do things like take a polygraph etc. Obviously read all the requirements to make sure something small won't get you.

From what I hear? If you're still a Cpl by the end of school they drop the MOS cutting score to match your current score, so you pretty much automatically pick up Sgt. Past that, I don't know. Haven't really seen anyone other than Sgts, SSgts, and WOs in the CI field, but I haven't really seen that many CI Marines either.

Oh, and as a side note, please fill out your profile. :)

seandrapac
02-22-10, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the reply, I saw most of the requirements on line, I should be good as far as the gt score, I am pretty sure it was above 110. As for the profile, I haven't had the time to sit down and fill it out but hopefully in the next couple days it will be.
Thanks again

dkorea918
02-22-10, 04:12 PM
From what I hear? If you're still a Cpl by the end of school they drop the MOS cutting score to match your current score, so you pretty much automatically pick up Sgt. Past that, I don't know. Haven't really seen anyone other than Sgts, SSgts, and WOs in the CI field, but I haven't really seen that many CI Marines either.

I am pretty sure that is incorrect. I didn't pick up at all.

seandrapac
02-22-10, 04:38 PM
Yea the part about the promotion didn't sound right. so are you a 0211?

dkorea918
02-23-10, 12:58 AM
Yea the part about the promotion didn't sound right. so are you a 0211?

yessir

StreetDog77
02-24-10, 09:44 PM
I am new this website. I have found alot of great info on hear so I decided to join. I am a prior service guy, got out in 2000. I just mobilized in June 09 as an IMA-DET and I am putting in a lat move re-enlistment package for 0211. I got alot of great info during the CI brief. Any 0211's out there who can say what is so difficult about the school? Am I correct in saying as long as your focused, somewhat intellegent and applied you should be succesful in the school?

rheinmark187
03-08-10, 10:59 PM
I'm also interested in this MOS. I wonder what I could do to get myself selected during the screening board? I know 6 people who've gone to the board and only 2 were selected.

grunt07
03-11-10, 12:41 PM
So how long is CI school? and how often are you deployed??? I hear its a lot. Do 0211's fight or kinda roll in after? im thinking about the MOS and have a lot questions.

Hanzo
03-11-10, 12:54 PM
I have been thinking about pursuing a lat move into Counter Intelligence but have been having some trouble finding information about the MOS.

I'm sorry, but this is just the definition of comedic irony. Can't find information on counter intel? They must be doing a good job! :D

grunt07
03-11-10, 12:57 PM
I know right...it makes sense to keep the majority of it within the MOS. But you would think that there would be SOME information out there. I've heard a lot of stuff from every end of the spectrum that you can imagine. I'd like to speak with a married Cpl-Sgt about what they think the MOS is all about.

devilbones
03-11-10, 06:27 PM
Good luck if you are married. You will be deployed or in school or doing other stuff that requires you to be away often. Once you are in for a bit you can get some swank assignments and it opens you up to the other side of the military.

grunt07
03-11-10, 06:31 PM
I called and talked to the CI/HUMINT recruiter today...have an interview next week for me and the wife. He said they still deploy a lot but they are ramping back the deployments since Iraq is shutting down. I have a list of questions and the length and frequency of schools is def on there. Im lookin forward to the schools, and also to the career opportunities for after i get out of the corps. I appreciate the response. are you 0211?

devilbones
03-11-10, 07:03 PM
I am not. I was an 0261. I worked with many 0211's most of the guys in my MOS lat move there. I know a bunch that are CWOs and Gunnys and MSgts now. Most of the former Marines that I work with now are 0211s.

grunt07
03-11-10, 07:08 PM
Are the guys that you know in the MOS happy with the job? Understanding the occasional FML days of course.

devilbones
03-11-10, 07:13 PM
They love the job. It opens you up to so many more opportunities. Some days you may get to wear a suit to work and do things you never imagined that Marines do. Just remember that when you board to be yourself. They know you are a Marine and can give really moto answers, but they are looking for a specific personality so take a deep breath, be honest and be yourself.

grunt07
03-11-10, 07:19 PM
I really appreciate the tip. I read that there is some OJT for the MOS, do you know if thats true? And i also understand that even if u get the clearance and are otherwise qualified, a lot of guys still get denied when it comes to the interview. Is that what you were referring to when you said "be yourself?"

devilbones
03-11-10, 07:38 PM
Before you are even accepted you will need to go on a board. This board will decide whether or not you will be qualified. You can have met all of the requirements but if you dont pass, you will not be able to join. Each unit does their boards their own way but like I said. Be yourself.

grunt07
03-11-10, 07:43 PM
K. Thanks again for the info.

hussaf
03-11-10, 11:50 PM
I am new this website. I have found alot of great info on hear so I decided to join. I am a prior service guy, got out in 2000. I just mobilized in June 09 as an IMA-DET and I am putting in a lat move re-enlistment package for 0211. I got alot of great info during the CI brief. Any 0211's out there who can say what is so difficult about the school? Am I correct in saying as long as your focused, somewhat intellegent and applied you should be succesful in the school?

So if your currently with an IMADET are you looking to lat-move to the reserve or AD side?

DangerBoyd89
07-10-11, 09:59 PM
heh good luck with school... no walk in the park that's for sure. Just graduated. Have fun with it, and again, good luck.

why did it take you almost 2 years from the time you were selected by the board to graduate mos school? is that how it normally works?