PDA

View Full Version : Camp Kinser

ColdBlooded
10-05-09, 01:09 AM
Well folks I haven't been on here much but today I have realized how much of a joke Camp Kinser is on Okinawa. I have been stationed here for a while now and I can honestly tell you That this whole Bn is constructed with officers making rediculous tasks that are pure pointless. I leave for SS School in February (first ITB). However I still have plenty before and BUD/S training is something I have in mind as of now as well. My OIC understands my situation. 297 PFT and Expert Rifle shooter and I go to waist behind a desk doing the most ridiculous working parties and waist precious time looking at CNN.com. Today there was no work so I ended up writing MC knowledge on the computer and sent it to everyone in my shop so they could also go through some of it if they had down time. I am ready for new challenges, something that will take me to the next level. Someone please give me some peace of mind.

Supersquishy
10-05-09, 05:14 AM
Can you request OJT with another shop or unit? I did that in Kadena.

Garyius
10-05-09, 07:56 AM
I heard this rant almost word for word from a guy there in 1989 or 90. Back then the hardest thing they did was checking the wraps to see if the dry nitrogen was still in the stuff.

Just remember, up north at Schwab some grunt can't go out every night, and can't go to Kadena every day for lunch or dinner, and really wants to be you.

RYDERKUR
10-05-09, 08:46 AM
Haha, he's got that right. Camp Schwab blows. "What are you doing tonight?"..."Going to the USO to use the slow internet." I suppose I should be thankful internet was there, but really, it's slower than dial up 90% of the time.

ColdBlooded
10-05-09, 05:17 PM
I definitely understand what you guys are saying. No Marine should be treated like this anywhere in Okinawa, especially being so far away from home. I just needed to let some steam out because this place has no purpose whatsoever. We have three LOCEX excersises in a three month period (put up tents, constantina wire, basically making it like a real field of battle) when our unit isn't even deployable, we are SUPPLY!!! We are treated like ass and prisoners. Can't be out past twelve at night, can't drive, can't do this, can't do that and we work our asses off all day to complete missions that have no ultimate purpose or productive outcome.

Zulu 36
10-05-09, 05:48 PM
I definitely understand what you guys are saying. No Marine should be treated like this anywhere in Okinawa, especially being so far away from home. I just needed to let some steam out because this place has no purpose whatsoever. We have three LOCEX excersises in a three month period (put up tents, constantina wire, basically making it like a real field of battle) when our unit isn't even deployable, we are SUPPLY!!! We are treated like ass and prisoners. Can't be out past twelve at night, can't drive, can't do this, can't do that and we work our asses off all day to complete missions that have no ultimate purpose or productive outcome.

You are merely continuing long traditions in military service. These events haven't been recently invented just to screw with you (maybe the fancy acronyms were). These evolutions were invented millennia ago to keep the troops out of trouble. Even the Romans did this, except they had their people building roads and fortifications out of tents, dirt, stone, and logs. You get to use tents, dirt and concertina wire.

Just keep plugging along and earn your salt (also a Roman military tradition). Besides, the Corps never promised you a rose garden. :marine:

Gee, I remember Okinawa being so much more fun. Of course that was before the Japanese got it back. Oh well...

Garyius
10-05-09, 05:49 PM
That is a bunch of crap. We hit Okinawa back in the old days and it was game on.

I drank a bunch since it was the first time it was legal for me at 18, we didn't have any time we had to be back on base. Kadena did have a 'no Marines in the club' rule, but that got changed to the air wing being okay.

I do not agree with the restrictions the officers are hanging on you, it is a case of them trying to kiss enough liberal and japanese ass to get a better job after they retire.

SGT7477
10-05-09, 06:48 PM
The rock was my best duty station, it's what you make out of it.:flag:

marine3043
10-05-09, 08:52 PM
to bad you arnt in the stan,,,,if i am correct a unit from kinser did go to afghanistan,, i heard that from a friend

ColdBlooded
10-06-09, 12:46 AM
Naw, it wasn't a unit. Alot of people from different units got picked to go *cough* **** bags *cough*. Units basically kept their high rollers and got rid of the rest. only about 48 people left...

fallfast90
10-06-09, 12:41 PM
I was stationed at Hansen, and i had to patrol both Hansen and Schwabb. Believe me, Kinser is nice. Do what i did, and get yourself a little navy corpsman girlfriend. You will never be bored again, lol.

ameriken
10-06-09, 12:54 PM
The rock was my best duty station, it's what you make out of it.:flag:

Oki was my second favorite (Bridgeport, Ca was my best).

I was in 3/9 Bn Supply dishing out duece gear to the grunts in Schwab from 77-78. It wasnt the best liberty base (Henoko sucked) but for the day to day activities of being a Marine, we were always busy, no bullsh*t, and time flew by.

Quinbo
10-06-09, 01:16 PM
Did you say you are going to attend BUD's? I hated every square inch of Okinawa. No place is any better than another on there. They all suck. You could request to get fapped to hansen and go to the field with the grunts. NTA sucks, CTA sucks. You have a cushy paper pushing job and complaining about it?

charm1110
10-06-09, 02:07 PM
Did you say you are going to attend BUD's? I hated every square inch of Okinawa. No place is any better than another on there. They all suck. You could request to get fapped to hansen and go to the field with the grunts. NTA sucks, CTA sucks. You have a cushy paper pushing job and complaining about it?

guard duty sucks...mess duty sucks...firewatch sucks... weapons cleaning sucks...humping everywhere sucks...I could go on....blisters on your feet suck... crotch rot sucks...lost equipment really sucks.. running out of cigs and ramen noodles in the field sucks...

Quinbo
10-06-09, 02:25 PM
That was the cool thing about hansen ... everybody has a bike so you don't need one. Just grab your ID and a $20 and jump on one of the bikes and ride it into sinville. Maybe get some yakisoba and go wrastle an ole lady older than your grandma and come back with 5 bucks to spare.

Okinawa isn't all bad but I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

Zulu 36
10-06-09, 04:25 PM
I liked Okinawa. I was always TAD there, never PCS, but I did spend seven-months there in one crack.

There are things to do on Okinawa that don't involve girls and booze. Go find them. Camp Kinser puts you at the west end of probably the worst part of the Battle for Okinawa. Go explore. Go scuba diving. There are some spectacular places to dive around Okinawa.

I got off the base and explored the old battlefields, tunnels, and caves. When I was at the old NAF Naha, there were lots of torn up bunkers and fighting tunnels left over from when the Japanese Naval troops fought the 6th Marine Division. Didn't even have to leave the base for these explorations.

Judging by the fields of fire afforded from those positions, I always wondered how in hell the 6thMarDiv took that place. Took ten days just to over-run the Oroku Peninsula, which is not that big of a piece of real estate. The Marine did pull off a shore-to-shore amphib landing that caught the Japanese by surprise.

Luckily too, the Japanese Navy had been ordered away from those positions a couple of weeks earlier, and took most of their weapons with them. They then disobeyed Army orders and went back to contest the Marines. However, they weren't able to bring back all of their heavy weapons and supplies. I hate to think how that fight would have gone had the Japanese Naval troops had been allowed to stay in place.

I've been to Sugar Loaf Hill and what surrounding terrain there was that didn't have military housing. Amazing place, very eerie actually. I swear I could feel the ghosts of the Marines and Japanese who died there. I almost felt like an intruder.

The Sugar Loaf/Shuri Castle area is heavily built up now I'm told by people (and Google Earth). It's probably hard to get a true appreciation of the battlefield anymore, but still worth a pilgrimage.

I didn't explore up north, but instead concentrated in the south where the heaviest fighting took place. These explorations give you a much greater appreciation of our Corps and those who went before us.

When I was last there in 1975, there was a hotel being constructed east of Shuri Castle, which had been the center of the Japanese main line of resistance. The contractors found what they thought was an old Japanese artillery ammo dump and called in the JSDF EOD people. Turned out every shell was a dud US Navy 5" shell. The Navy had shelled the place so heavily, that enough duds alone accumulated to make people think it had been an ammo dump. Amazing. It took US and JSDF EOD people months to clean the place up.

And remember this: It ain't our country.

RYDERKUR
10-06-09, 09:26 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=53176615&id=2359618

RYDERKUR
10-06-09, 09:33 PM
I was trying to get a picture of me in front of an old Japanese bunker, but I couldn't get it to work. You are absolutely right. It is an amazing experience to think of the heroics of so many men and that you are in the midst of such selfless sacrifice.

Gunner 0313
10-06-09, 11:11 PM
:flag:MORE DIRTY LAUNDRY ! TAKE THIS TRASH TO THE HOOCH !