PDA

View Full Version : Looking for my Father

xella
10-04-09, 08:50 PM
I'm trying to find out about my fathers service in Vietnam, and elsewhere. I have had an incredibley difficult time finding anything out about his time in the Corps. His Name was Joseph S. Denillo, also known as "FR". He died last year. Served at Khe San, and many other hills and mud holes over there. Thanks for any help, and all you do for us. RESPECT.

MontezumaCpl
10-04-09, 10:39 PM
Please fill out a profile and we will see if we can help you out.

xella
10-04-09, 11:16 PM
Thank you! I just filled out the basics. Let me know if more is needed.

MontezumaCpl
10-04-09, 11:57 PM
Dig around and try to find anything, a picture or two, dog tags, DD 214, anything that may contain some military information. There are websites that may help you as well. Also try to get info regarding service dates and bases stationed at. I see you live near 29 Stumps, if you don't have anything at all, you may try contacting someone there and perhaps they can lend some assistance or point you in the right direction. The internet can be most helpful as I mentioned.

As a next of kin, I believe you can request a copy of your dad's DD 214, you may need his, Full Name, Birthdate, Place of Birth, Place Entered into Service, etc and SSN and some other personal info. Ask any relatives family friends, etc you may have contact with, they may have photos, letters, other documentation that can help you put together your father's Military Biography. I'm currently building a Shadowbox Display for my Dad (Retired Navy) as a surprise gift and I've gathered some info on my own from digging around. Don't give up, with some detective work you may be surprised how much info you can obtain.

Good luck,

brian0351
10-05-09, 04:44 AM
You can try here... <br />
<br />
http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/standard-form-180.html#ways <br />
<br />
My mother did this for my grandfather's WWII record. She didn't get much but did get his...

ameriken
10-06-09, 11:58 PM
Here's another link for obtaining the DD-214 (free in most cases).

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/index.html

Good luck!