PDA

View Full Version : Man of the people

thedrifter
08-12-03, 02:44 PM
Man of the people <br />
<br />
Named provincial governor of Iraq's Wassit province, Lt. Col. David Couvillon of Baton Rouge is using a personal approach and a genuine fondness for the locals to forge ties...

thedrifter
08-12-03, 02:45 PM
"You can have no better friend and no worse enemy than the United States Marines," Couvillon said, "and I have taken to heart 'no better friend.'

"Look, I'm not as naive as some people think," he added. "Some of these people wanted me to drag people into the street and have them shot. They told me that was the only way to do it. But I thought there had to be a better way."

At a luncheon in May, he asked a crowded table how many of them had cooperated with former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein's murderous Baath Party, and no one raised their hand. Couvillon said the picture was absurd.

"I told them, 'You know what? Everyone here cooperated to some extent. You had to or you'd be dead,' " he said. "The people have responded to that. We've made it clear that those who were guilty of crimes will be arrested and prosecuted, everybody else deserves a shot at redemption."

Standing firm

When talking to locals, Couvillon repeatedly notes that such a forgiving attitude is woven into the writings of Ali, the son-in-law of the Prophet Muhammad and the man Shiite Muslims, a majority in Wassit province, believe to be Muhammad's true successor. He has read parts of the Quran as well as Ali's less voluminous work.

That background serves him well during some encounters, which are not always friendly. At a money-changing shop, where a dollar yields 1,650 dinars, one out of nine men challenges Couvillon on the coalition's continuing presence in Iraq. At another meeting -- with Mountsir Al amarah, 42, of the Supreme Council of Islamic Revolution, Iraq -- Al amarah referred to Couvillon twice as "my enemy." But the colonel never faltered.

"He needs me more than I need him," Couvillon said after the meeting, which ended as a thinly veiled plea from Al amarah for money. "But everyone is entitled to their opinion."

A more pleasant and typical experience is the colonel's lunch. Most days, he has it at a hotel near the military command post on the Tigris, but last Sunday he joined the directors of a local handicapped society at a different restaurant. The men showered praise on America, its leaders, Couvillon and the local forces. A feast was laid out on the table, with giant discs of hot bread, and plates of cucumbers, tomatoes, watermelon, dates and grapes. With his bare hands, one of the hosts attacked the main course, an entire grilled lamb stuffed with rice, and passed out heaping plates of food.

The repast was stacked in front of him as Couvillon mused about what this experience might mean to him when he returns. Evidence of that rapidly approaching homecoming are everywhere on the air strip in Iraq, as platoons of Ukrainian and Polish soldiers arrive daily to replace the 3/23rd.

"Well, I won't be the center of attention anymore, that's for sure, and I won't be disappointed by that," he said. "But I've got to admit there will be times where I'll probably miss it."

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1060495362166960.xml

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

virwar
08-24-03, 10:32 PM
Drifter and all, Lt Col Couvillon was my Plt Commander and Co Commander at 4th Mar Div 3/23 Weapons Co. I'm VERY, VERY PROUD to have served under him. Semper Fi to all and good luck Sir Preee-Zent Arms!!!David Shearer Cpl USMCR Desert Storm