PDA

View Full Version : Decreasing PFT score in Boot Camp?

Mako
10-04-09, 06:54 PM
Hello Marines,

I have heard that in some cases, a recruit will actually see decreases in their PFT score at the end of Boot Camp. As their PT schedule vastly changes as compared to before hand. I understand Boot Camp isnt just PT at all and incorporates a lot of academics, rifle range, drill, etc. But on average would you say there is an increase or decrease from start to end? and pertaining to each individually (meaning, run, pullups, and crunches)

Thank you in advance Marines.:usmc:

USCFIGHTONUSC
10-04-09, 07:07 PM
The purpose of boot camp is to get you into shape. So for someone to go down in score would mean something was wrong with him/her that day, such as an injury that bothered him, fatigue, or some other issue.

One thing to remember is that as a poolee when you do your PFT or IST, this is not the same environment as when you take them in boot camp. There is a huge difference and you have many variables to factor in that you don't see as a poolee.

Most who graduate will increase their score by a lot.

RYDERKUR
10-04-09, 08:00 PM
Yea, in general most recruits see there score go up but there is a "fair share" that who decrease and a lot of guys claim to lose mass and stuff. Of course these are the guys who went there in great shape and couldn't follow the routine that worked for them. It's just one of those things. You'll get it all back in the Fleet.

GREY MATTER
10-04-09, 08:40 PM
alot of it has to do with recruiters generally dont care if you lock out your elbows when you do your pullups...where as if your pullups arent perfect in bootcamp they wony count them.

josephd
10-04-09, 11:23 PM
you PFT score should increase dramatically from initial to final IMO. Your PFT score will most likely drop once at SOI. I put on close to 20lbs when I was at SOI. Although it is very physical and more so than boot, you eat MRE's everyday and dont burn off all those calories you take in.

Mako
10-05-09, 08:06 AM
alot of it has to do with recruiters generally dont care if you lock out your elbows when you do your pullups...where as if your pullups arent perfect in bootcamp they wony count them.

I know what you mean by this. But at my Recruiting Station it is the same deal. I make sure my elbows lock each and every time.

Quinbo
10-05-09, 08:19 AM
The purpose of boot camp is to get you into shape. So for someone to go down in score would mean something was wrong with him/her that day, such as an injury that bothered him, fatigue, or some other issue.

One thing to remember is that as a poolee when you do your PFT or IST, this is not the same environment as when you take them in boot camp. There is a huge difference and you have many variables to factor in that you don't see as a poolee.

Most who graduate will increase their score by a lot.

Hai Karumba!! Did you actually say the purpose of boot camp is to get you into shape?

WalkingMan
10-05-09, 09:49 AM
I workout 5 days a week (Sat and Sun off), a 7 mile run, sit-ups/crunches on alternate days, push-ups and pull-ups (palms forward, facing and and sideways... on one of those nice door-mounted pull-up bars), and then a 45 minute workout with free-weights, and time on the dip bar.

This give me everything I need and then some, to calculate my PFT score.

I am able to pass the 30-40 age group minimum with ease (I'm 61), as long as I am not babying myself after a minor strain or something.

My performance goes up and down very predictably, based on certain things.

Monday is usually my best day. By Friday I am usually sort of sore and noticeably down on all scores. My weight also cycles each week. I pick up about 3 lbs on the weekend and lose it during the week.

My diet... what I eat, also affects performance. Too much pogey bait and not enough protein will drop my scores.

Sleep is a factor... not enough, and the scores drop.

Competitive athletic events like marathons can set me back enough so that it takes my body a week to recover.

Illness... even something as minor as a headcold will knock my scores down.

Not working out for more than three consecutive days. When I'm on the road, or on vacation, or just hit a lazy patch (pretty rare), my scores drop steadily, and with more than a week between workouts, I have to get reacquainted with my good pal 'Ole Misery' again... my muscles have lost their edge, so I have to hurt, to get the edge back.

No Pain, No Gain. :)

WalkingMan
10-05-09, 10:04 AM
Oops! I tried getting this in on my last post, but went past the 5 minute limit on the 'edit' function:

I don't drink alcohol or smoke, so for me they are not a factor, but I suspect they would be a really big factor.

If you examine the external circumstances I listed, that might be factors in negatively affecting your PFT score, and then examine your activities for the time just preceding the PFT, you might see some cause and effect, between behaviour, and PFT score.

GREY MATTER
10-06-09, 05:12 AM
I workout 5 days a week (Sat and Sun off), a 7 mile run, sit-ups/crunches on alternate days, push-ups and pull-ups (palms forward, facing and and sideways... on one of those nice door-mounted pull-up bars), and then a 45 minute workout with free-weights, and time on the dip bar.

This give me everything I need and then some, to calculate my PFT score.

I am able to pass the 30-40 age group minimum with ease (I'm 61), as long as I am not babying myself after a minor strain or something.

My performance goes up and down very predictably, based on certain things.

Monday is usually my best day. By Friday I am usually sort of sore and noticeably down on all scores. My weight also cycles each week. I pick up about 3 lbs on the weekend and lose it during the week.

My diet... what I eat, also affects performance. Too much pogey bait and not enough protein will drop my scores.

Sleep is a factor... not enough, and the scores drop.

Competitive athletic events like marathons can set me back enough so that it takes my body a week to recover.

Illness... even something as minor as a headcold will knock my scores down.

Not working out for more than three consecutive days. When I'm on the road, or on vacation, or just hit a lazy patch (pretty rare), my scores drop steadily, and with more than a week between workouts, I have to get reacquainted with my good pal 'Ole Misery' again... my muscles have lost their edge, so I have to hurt, to get the edge back.

No Pain, No Gain. :)

i disagree with the protein part....the night before a pft you want to load carbs...it will give you the energy and stamina to perform without fatigue. there is a reason why marathon runners to this.
the pft is all about endurance and muscle fatigue...technically if you can 1 pullup you can do 20, its just that your muscles fatigue before you know out 20.

and FWIW with the exception of my last pft i did 20 pullups 7 years in a row..got out for 3 years and still pumped out 16 without even preparing for the pft, and as any tall person will tell you 20 pullups for someone with long arms is a helluvalot harder than someone with short arms.

im 75" and 210lbs

WalkingMan
10-06-09, 05:48 AM
i disagree with the protein part....the night before a pft you want to load carbs...it will give you the energy and stamina to perform without fatigue. there is a reason why marathon runners to this.
the pft is all about endurance and muscle fatigue...technically if you can 1 pullup you can do 20, its just that your muscles fatigue before you know out 20.

and FWIW with the exception of my last pft i did 20 pullups 7 years in a row..got out for 3 years and still pumped out 16 without even preparing for the pft, and as any tall person will tell you 20 pullups for someone with long arms is a helluvalot harder than someone with short arms.

im 75" and 210lbs

You make a good point on the carbs, thanks for adding it to the thread.

I'm 5' 11" and weigh 165, and my current max on pull-ups is 12 (palms facing me), and 8, with palms forward and facing each other.

I had a stroke back in 1994, and my right side was affected. It took me around 6 months when I got back well enough to do PT, to do even one proper pull-up. I had to get up on a stool at first, and let myself down slowly... I think it's called a reverse-pull-up.

My right side is still a little weaker than my left, but I figure I am doing pretty good.

At my age, staying fit is more about health... If I stay fit, avoid injury and avoid all of those chronic illnesses that are associated with unhealthy habits, like smoking and alcohol consumption, etc., maybe I can die healthy... just drop dead at age ninety, on one of my runs... and avoid all the costly and painful BS associated with dying of cancer in a hospital setting.

...or maybe, get shot dead at age ninety, by a jealous husband. :)

MLMonk
10-06-09, 06:15 AM
I improved on the run, but my pull ups dropped from 22+ to down to 14 at the end of bootcamp, since I gained 12lb. I'm back to 20+ pull ups now, after a year later and dropping down 8lb, lol.