PDA

View Full Version : Students collect supplies for Marines in Afghanistan

thedrifter
10-02-09, 08:20 AM
Students collect supplies for Marines in Afghanistan

By Lisa Singleton-Rickman
Staff Writer

Published: Friday, October 2, 2009 at 3:30 a.m.

All it took was the sight of a wall lined with plush blankets to bring Janice Thomason to tears.

The Muscle Shoals resident's son, U.S. Marine Cpl. Blake Thomason, is serving in Afghanistan. She was at McBride Elementary School on Thursday to pick up supplies for his regiment, the U.S. 2/8 Marines. Cpl. Nick Richardson, of Tuscumbia, also is a part of that regiment.

For Thomason, the classroom full of supplies, including toiletries, towels and snacks, was more than just a kind gesture from the children.

"You guys have no idea what it will mean to these Marines to know that they are thought of," Thomason said. "Seeing all these blankets makes me so happy just knowing they won't be sleeping on the ground anymore."

The regiment has between 500 and 700 Marines.

The school's student council led the effort, but the entire school - third through fifth grades - participated by bringing items to fill laundry baskets.

"I think it's going to make those Marines feel really special knowing that a bunch of kids they don't even know care so much about them," said fifth-grader Sydney McGregory.

Fourth-grader Mallory Holloway explained the items chosen for the collection. "It wasn't just any old stuff; it was stuff they can really use."

Thomason's son is serving his second tour, but this is his first deployment to Iraq.

"I know that these things, no matter how small, are so important to my son and others serving oversees," Thomason said.

"These kids' willingness to do this speaks volumes for who they are and that they care about the sacrifices being made for their country. They are very special for doing this."

Carla Grissom, the school's student council sponsor, said students worked on the collection project for two weeks.

"They were thrilled to be a part of it," she said. "One class brought in 25 towels. The volume of supplies they collected was really overwhelming."

Thomason's daughter, Tiffany, was at the school Thursday for the presentation as well. She, too, was teary-eyed upon first sight of the collections.

"What can you say about this kind of generosity?" she said, trying to hold back the tears. "It's amazing."

Lisa Singleton-Rickman can be reached at 740-5735 or lisa.singleton-rickman@TimesDaily.com.

Ellie