JOHN PHILIP SOUSA---------
NUMBNUTS......

Ed Palmer
10-01-09, 03:33 PM
Here is a picture of his twin

http://www.lib.umd.edu/PAL/SCPA/ABA/Wise/sousa-1914.jpg

DocGreek
10-01-09, 03:38 PM
:evilgrin:NOT A MARINE???....BETTER LOOK IT UP!! WAS ENLISTED INTO THE MARINES AT AGE 13, BY HIS DAD...SERVED 8 YEARS, TILL 1875!!:evilgrin:

sparkie
10-01-09, 03:39 PM
Gee, that wasn't in the movie,,,,,,,,,

Ed Palmer
10-01-09, 03:41 PM
John Philip SousaJohn Philip Sousa (November 6, 1854 - March 6, 1932), is probably the most famous conductor and composer in history of military marches. He wrote well over 100 marches; some of his most popular are:

Semper Fidelis (1888)
The Washington Post March (1889)
The Thunderer (1889)
The Liberty Bell (1893)
Manhattan Beach March (1893)
King Cotton (1895)
The Stars and Stripes Forever (1896)
El Capitan (1896)
Hands Across the Sea (1899)
Fairest of the Fair (1908)
U.S. Field Artillery (1917)
The Gallant Seventh (1922)
The Black Horse Troop (1924)
Daughters of Texas (1929)
The marching brass bass, or sousaphone, is named after him.

Sousa's musical education began when he was seven years old. At the age of 13, he was enrolled as an apprentice with the United States Marine Corps Band. He left it after several years to join a theatrical band. He soon began conducting, and returned to the Marine Band as its head in 1880. During this time Sousa also led the marching band of Gonzaga College High School.

Sousa organized his own band in 1892. It toured widely, and in 1900 represented the United States at the Paris Exposition before touring Europe. Sousa repeatedly refused to conduct on the radio, fearing the lack of personal contact with the audience; he was persuaded to do so in 1929, and was very successful.

In addition to hundreds of marches, Sousa wrote ten operas and a number of musical suites.

Sousa exhibited many talents aside from music. He authored three novels and a full length autobiography as well as a great number of articles and letters-to-the-editor on a variety of subjects. As a trapshooter, he ranks as one of the all-time greats and his skill as a horseman met championship criteria.

He was in the vanguard of the reactionary camp in the music piracy wars of his era (cf. Recording Industry Association of America), in which authors of sheet music railed against the upstart recording industry. In a submission to a congressional hearing in 1906, he argued that:

These talking machines are going to ruin the artistic development of music in this country. When I was a boy ... in front of every house in the summer evenings, you would find young people together singing the songs of the day or old songs. Today you hear these infernal machines going night and day. We will not have a vocal cord left. The vocal cord will be eliminated by a process of evolution, as was the tail of man when he came from the ape.

DocGreek
10-01-09, 03:43 PM
:D:D...SPARKY...got that info from the J.P.S. website/biography. He was a tough taskmaster...his way, OR HIT THE ROAD!!
H*LL OF A MAN!!...:flag:

DocGreek
10-01-09, 03:58 PM
:flag:....OKAY, YOU NUMBNUTS!!!...ANYONE RECOGNIZE THIS GENTLEMAN???.....8215

ecfree
10-01-09, 04:01 PM
POSER,,,NOT A MARINE....

DocGreek
10-01-09, 04:04 PM
:D:D....DOUBLE SMILIES!!!...can you read his name-tag??
ANOTHER "REAL" MARINE!!....:flag:

Ed Palmer
10-01-09, 04:10 PM
John Walter Ripley was a United States Marine Corps officer who received the Navy Cross for his actions in combat during the Vietnam War. On Easter morning 1972,

ecfree
10-01-09, 04:11 PM
I can't make out his name,but I can see U.S.Marines on his tiger stripes.....That cover is not Marine Corps....:evilgrin:
WHATS UP.....

DocGreek
10-01-09, 04:20 PM
:D....ONE OF 3/3/3's FINEST...Col. John Ripley. He was the last Marine to leave Quang Tri Province. and blew up the ONLY bridge that the N.V.A. could use...to get their tanks South. Received The Navy Cross for his Gallantry....another tough S.O.B.!!..:flag:

ecfree
10-01-09, 04:25 PM
God bless him for his actions during his tour in Nam...:flag:
In that case,he can wear any kind of cover he wants....:beer:
One of Chesty's kind.....:iwo:

May I say OOOOPS.....

Wrench3516
10-01-09, 05:06 PM
Colonel Ripley was serving as a "COVAN"....Advisor to the South Viet Namese Marine Corps. He is wearing "French" Tiger stripe Cammies and a French Beret, all remnents of the French Colonial era of Indo-China! (He is wearing the uniforn of the So. Viet Namese Marines.)

Osotogary
10-01-09, 06:14 PM
So, I'm two for two. What do I get? LOL. This might be a good idea, quizzes and all. (Col. Ripley-The Bridge at Dong Ha)

sparkie
10-01-09, 06:35 PM
Doc,,
"At the age of 13, he was enrolled as an apprentice with the United States Marine Corps Band."

How does that make him a Marine? I gotta go do some research.
A Marine is a rifleman first, not a tuba player.

Marine84
10-02-09, 07:27 AM
Doc,,A Marine is a rifleman first, not a tuba player.

LOL! That was funny as hell!

Hotel4341
10-26-09, 12:29 PM
How does that make him a Marine? I gotta go do some research.
A Marine is a rifleman first, not a tuba player.

Betcha haven't checked into the President's Own then. They're enlisted into the Marine Corps as a SSgt and go through a two weeks customs and courtesies class as their boot camp.

Then again, they have a harp in their rank instead of crossed rifles.

Petz
10-26-09, 12:38 PM
Hotel, would you ever take commands from one of them, even in garrison?

FistFu68
10-26-09, 12:43 PM
:usmc: He was also a Graduate and served with the British Royal Marine Commando's that ain't no French Beret.Also the only U.S.Marine too ever become a Member of the U.S.ARMY "RANGER" Hall of Fame.Semper~Fi~Col. it will be a Grand Reunion Someday.:usmc: :iwo:

Hotel4341
10-26-09, 12:44 PM
They mostly keep to themselves, SSgt. You'd only really see them out and about at 8th & I. I'd give them the proper greeting of the day just in case I really had to, but from my understanding they realize they're in a fantasy Marine Corps and don't take advantage of it.

Zulu 36
10-26-09, 01:00 PM
They mostly keep to themselves, SSgt. You'd only really see them out and about at 8th & I. I'd give them the proper greeting of the day just in case I really had to, but from my understanding they realize they're in a fantasy Marine Corps and don't take advantage of it.

One of my daughter's HS teachers is former Marine Corps Band member. He said they are all told in no uncertain terms that they have ZERO command authority over regular Marines, except those assigned to band support staff, and then only as it relates to their job in band support.

The Drum Majors, on the other hand, ARE regular Marines, so a junior Marine wouldn't want to play silly games with them.

awbrown1462
10-26-09, 01:29 PM
Gee, that wasn't in the movie,,,,,,,,,
sorry Sparkie it was the first part of the moive he was the Band Sgt. of the Marine Corps resigned because he wanted to make more money

awbrown1462
10-26-09, 01:41 PM
Recruit Training (Boot Camp)
Marine Band members are the only members of the U.S. Armed Services not required to undergo recruit training.
The Marine Band's mission is "to provide music and perform such other functions as are directed by the President of the United States and the Commandant of the Marine Corps." Unlike other Marine Corps musical units, the Marine Band has no assigned secondary combat role, and its members are exempt from all such training. Marine Band musicians report to Washington fully trained to perform their primary duties in the accomplishment of the band’s unique musical mission. Therefore, there is no requirement for band members to undergo recruit training.
New band members are instructed by the Drum Major in appropriate military and band-related subjects. This ongoing process of instruction gives each musician essential knowledge about his or her role in the U.S. Marine Corps