PDA

View Full Version : My pay just isnt adding up

Rasanders22
10-01-09, 01:30 AM
Ive been out of the USMC for 8 years and am trying to re-enliust. Well I would say more like I just talked to the recruiter today and plan on submitting a package around december.

Currently I make 60k a year working in the semi-conductor industry. When I compare my current paychecks to my estimated paychecks If I was in right now, I owuld make more each paycheck, even after factoring in the 24 pay periods vs 26. If I had stayed in and picked up SSgt, I would be clearing 500 more a month than I am now.

Unfortunatly all my money is eaten up by health care costs. I pay 360 a month in health care insurance. Keep that in mind before you get out. There are alot of hidden expenses that you might not realize before you get out.

Rasanders22
10-01-09, 03:43 AM
Thats not good, if your pay is not adding then there might be a problem on you or in it.If you need to find some other means of financing, you might look into installment loans for bad credit. Installment loans for bad credit are installment loans for people with a low credit score that might not be able to secure the financing otherwise, say through a bank or using credit cards. The interest rate may be a bit higher than you're used to, but it will still be reasonable, and many lenders are online, and have direct deposit capabilities and don't need you to fax any documents, if it's a small loan you're looking for. You can get installment loans for bad credit (http://personalmoneystore.com/moneyblog/2009/09/28/getting-installment-loans-for-bad-credit-never-been-easier/) for any and all of your short term loans needs.

I have good credit. Its up in the 720's. I was commenting on the fact that I am gettnig paid less than If I was active duty (including BAH, food allowance, etc)

Supersquishy
10-01-09, 05:13 AM
Did you factor in federal and state taxes?

GREY MATTER
10-01-09, 05:21 AM
i have one better for you....
i make 29 an hour...and my company recently took away our ability to work overtime...without the overtime i made more as a 6yr sergeant with comrats and bah.

last year i made over 75k this year i might make 60k

BAH isnt taxed, neither is comrats...the only thing you'll be paying taxes on is base pay....and if you own a house you will make a killing in tax returns..not to mention the free medical and dental.

William Hardy
10-01-09, 07:54 AM
You better go back and do your math again.
You have to compare apples to apples.
If you are married and an E6, your gross wages living off base is about $45,551 (base+BAS+HOLA) This does not include any COLA. According to the new information on HOLA, it can vary depending upon where you are stationed which means the $45K can go up or down a bit. Figure out your current pay and just subtract any retirement plan you pay for such as a 401K. Also subtract any insurance you pay for such as dental and health. Be careful...we are talking about you, not your dependents. You will still need dental which is normally provided for by the spouse if she works. At any rate, you need to come up with a solid figure that shows your net spendable income after everything is taken out of both sides. Then you can see if you are better off pay wise. Then you have to ask yourself, is it worth it? Check out the divorce rate among Marines as compared to the civilian population. Look at the problems associated with constant deployments and are you willing to put your children through that? Some families can handle it very well, other not so well. Be very honest - you are taliing about your blood here...do you really think it is in the best interest of your families mental health? If your wife divorces you, how are you going to handle visitation with the children? Or are you one of those that don't care about anything except yourself? Be honest...going on active duty is a huge step....I went the other way...I was not willing to jepordize my family...I was doing well...made Gunny in 11 years and was at the top of my game...I missed the corps, but I wasn't willing to sacrifice my kids anymore...so back in 1978 I left my beloved Corps...finished up my time in 2008 serving in the National Guard (no MC units near here)...no regrets...

Whatever you chose Marine, chose it because it is the right thing for everyone who will be affected. It's not your life alone...chose wisely....Good Luck Brother
Semper Fi

Marine84
10-02-09, 07:21 AM
Don't worry too much...............mine has never added up right! ;)