PDA

View Full Version : Food/Diet advice

Jlg
09-30-09, 08:51 PM
Hello Marines i am currently a fatbody wanting to join the Marines but of course my weight is this big issue. I turned 19 6 days ago, i weigh 295+ :(, and my height is about 5'11 maybe taller. I have lost 14 pound's just from doing my daily exercises and drinking water but i feel that i am not loosing weight fast enough, i work most of the day so i do not get much time to eat which lead's to me getting fast food because i am either to tired to cook or it's to late to prepare any kind of meal. So my question is..... .........what can i eat?...what kind of foods are good ? what kind of foods are bad? and what is healthy for a good snack?

also! my target weight is 222 or lower for MEPS..... ANY advice will be greatly appreciated and thank you Marines for you'r time

josephd
09-30-09, 09:27 PM
no soda, no fast food, no sweets....

lean meat/protein like chicken and fish, fruits and veggies, and complex/low glycemic index carbs like whole wheats, pasta, and brown rice.

One thing I will tell you is when your body feels hungry, try just drinking water. The signal your body sends your brain to tell you that you are dehydrated is the same that tells you that you are hungry. A quick fix for this is to constantly stay hydrated so that you dont get unnecessary urges to eat.

Also eat smaller meal multiple times a day instead of eating large meals only a few times a day. This will raise your metabolism and help your burn more calories/fat

Lisa 23
09-30-09, 11:26 PM
If being a Marine is something that you truely want, it's going to take a lot of hard work and determination on your part. No excuses! You have to take the time to 'eat right/healthy' and take the time to exercise.
You also want to take the proper time to lose the weight you need to lose, not go on a crash diet, because they just don't work. You eventually put some of that weight back on from crash dieting. The weight you need to lose will come off, but let it happen a few pounds a week. Losing too much weight too fast is not healthy for anyone!

Check out this young mans story on how he lost weight. It's quite an accomplishment! There are also some other stories on how others lost weight too!
This is what losing 80 pounds looks like - ALL FAT BODIES COME IN HERE!
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29787&page=17

Also...go thru some of the pages in the Poolee forum. You might find some diet and exercise tips that may be very helpful to you.
Good luck to you! :thumbup:

Supersquishy
10-01-09, 06:36 AM
Cut out all the junk food, cut out anything with white flour(carbs). No sugar, Soda is loaded with sugar.
run,run,run, and run. Running will burn off fat fast. Drink nothing but water. If you want somthing sweet, eat fruit, heck replace your lunch with apples and oranges, you will feel hungry at first but you will get used to having fruit for lunch instead of carb packed junkfood. good luck

Phantom Blooper
10-01-09, 08:21 AM
Get yourself a fork,knife and spoon.

Get a hacksaw and a drill.....cut the tines half way off the fork....cut half the blade off the knife and drill a 1/2" hole in the spoon.....then eat!

Take the above advice from these Marines and push back....from the table!

Exercise.....eat healthy....Exercise.....if it is truly something you want you can do it.

There are many testimonials on this site!

Good luck!:evilgrin:

Phantom Blooper
10-01-09, 03:54 PM
i work most of the day so i do not get much time to eat which lead's to me getting fast food because i am either to tired to cook or it's to late to prepare any kind of meal.

jlg....your profile states you are unemployed.

If you are working you can still pack healthy lunches that do not spoil or use a lunch cooler.

If you are having a problem with being tired....one of the issues maybe work....but think about the words dedication and determination.

Even in the Marine Corps when you are tired one still needs to push on to continue the mission and obtain the objective.

If you start now being dedicated and determined to losing the extra weight without excuses your energy level should start to pickup as long as there are no underlying health problems.

There are healthy options for chow other than fast food....change your lifestyle!

That's what you are accustomed too now.....but if you starting eating healthy and lean your body will adapt to the process.:evilgrin:

Jlg
10-06-09, 02:10 AM
thanks so much for the advice with a little research i have found an amazing food schedule which i have posted in another post for others but i really appreciate the motivating advice i will for sure get off my arse and get it into gear.....as for the unemployed i do most of my "work" on the computer and daily chores lol wish i got paid for that though

Jlg
10-06-09, 02:13 AM
i am glad to say i am no fan of soda but i am a juice man! me being a big guy should i walk first then once the pounds start to come off pick up running so i don't destroy my knee's? also thanks for leaving advice

Jlg
10-06-09, 02:15 AM
thanks for stopping buy.....yea the Staff Sergeant at the recruiters office told me once to try and start eating 6 small meals a day

Jlg
10-06-09, 02:18 AM
thank you Marine for leaving a comment....that Marine is a true inspiration to all fat body's like me, he is the reason i registered on this site to see if other Marines had similar stories for major motto any time i get down i know where to go

Wyoming
10-06-09, 08:49 AM
Cut out all the junk food, cut out anything with white flour(carbs). No sugar, Soda is loaded with sugar.
run,run,run, and run. Running will burn off fat fast. Drink nothing but water. If you want somthing sweet, eat fruit, heck replace your lunch with apples and oranges, you will feel hungry at first but you will get used to having fruit for lunch instead of carb packed junkfood. good luck

For the time being, cut out ALL white and fried stuff.

Anything that began or is white, along with fried.

Bread - Flour - White
French Fries - Flour - White
KFC - Flour - White
Pancakes - Flour - White
Fried Food - No, no, no.

You get the drift.

No white or fried.

Hungry? Lots of water.

Tired? Go for a walk. A long walk. Increase daily.

Drink plenty of water.

This worked quite well for me when I let myself get out of control a few years ago.

NoRemorse
10-06-09, 09:12 AM
If you're tired it's because you're clinically obese, overworked and your quality of rest is lacking.

Like everyone else said, make your own chow so you know what the heck you're eating. Fruits and veggies come in their own containers. Apples and such are handy self-contained energy sources. Fill your tank with taht.

You're almost 6 feet tall and basically 300. Cut the juice, eat the fruit instead of drinking it. Don't run, you'll wreck your knees. Get into swimming, walk everywhere. If you're at work constantly pack a lunch, pack several items in there and eat throughout the day.

Swimming is good, don't go for the high impact stuff and ruin your joints. You weigh enough that you'll get a workout going for a long walk, preferrably uphill over uneven terrain. Enjoy a banana, good for the cramps you'll be getting.

Get better sleep which means lose weight and take care of the rest of your trash so you can sleep 6-7 hours a night. Water good; hydrate a lot, a whole lot. Then hydrate some more.

The weight comes off when you're honest with yourself and make your own chow. It's not that hard to come up with a simple plan with what you've got. Just avoid overly processed pre-packed stuff. Blah blah blah.

Jlg
10-06-09, 11:37 AM
thank you marine for stopping buy and posting......yea McDonalds and every other fast food joint around here seems to give me upset stomach afterwards so i have pretty much cut those out, besides pizza lol

Jlg
10-06-09, 11:46 AM
Thank you Marine for imputing your advice...its starting to get a little cold where i am so i will probably have join our local gym and try swimming but i have never really thought that as much as an exercises, seems fun though i will give this a shot for sure.

yea i was told to have maximum of 1 or 2 small cups of orange juice lol

thankfully i have a lot of hills around my house so i WILL get a work out ha i use to PT with out local poolee pool and it was really a fun/HAAAAAARD, sometimes the recruiters would come out and PT us and me not even being sworn in they still helped me and check up on me, i wanna be in better shape once i start going back to the office

ameriken
10-06-09, 01:01 PM
Use the cold to your advantage....you burn more calories in the cold as your body tries to keep you warm. Take some long and brisk walks on cold days.

Jlg
10-06-09, 01:38 PM
o really? i had no idea i thought the colder the more harder you had to work to get a sweat, i know its hard to breath when its cold lol thanks for stopping by Marine

Wyoming
10-06-09, 01:47 PM
... are you even reading any of this advice or are you simply texting, I mean posting?

avenger08
10-06-09, 02:17 PM
whenever you get the chance go sit in a sauna with a sweat suit and a rain suit on. make sure you drink alot of water though because you will get dehydrated. just make sure you are excersizing alot and dont eat fatty, fast food stuff.

Jlg
10-06-09, 04:08 PM
i have read every single post and even visited the link LASWMarine has given

Jlg
10-06-09, 04:10 PM
whenever you get the chance go sit in a sauna with a sweat suit and a rain suit on. make sure you drink alot of water though because you will get dehydrated. just make sure you are excersizing alot and dont eat fatty, fast food stuff.

yea i was told NOT to do that until i get down below 222 cause i could do some harm to myself but once i get to my goal weight i will start hitting the sauna along with buying a sweat suit

WalkingMan
10-07-09, 03:22 PM
Hello Marines i am currently a fatbody wanting to join the Marines but of course my weight is this big issue. I turned 19 6 days ago, i weigh 295+ :(, and my height is about 5'11 maybe taller. I have lost 14 pound's just from doing my daily exercises and drinking water but i feel that i am not loosing weight fast enough, i work most of the day so i do not get much time to eat which lead's to me getting fast food because i am either to tired to cook or it's to late to prepare any kind of meal. So my question is..... .........what can i eat?...what kind of foods are good ? what kind of foods are bad? and what is healthy for a good snack?

also! my target weight is 222 or lower for MEPS..... ANY advice will be greatly appreciated and thank you Marines for you'r time

Back in 1994 I had a stroke and was pretty much off my feet or re-learning to walk for a couple years. I put on a lot of weight because I stopped exercising but continued to eat the same amount of food.

Here is what I did:

1) I bought a scale, a calorie counter computer program that also had an exercise function, so I could count both calories eaten, and calories burned exercising, and a kitchen-type scale and some measuring cups/spoons, so I could accurately calculate my serving sizes. Also, I bought a tailor's cloth measure, so I could accurately measure waist, neck, etc... you need that to calculate BMI.

2) I set a 1200 calorie limit at first, but later, when I was burning a lot of calories walking, I would reward myself with more food, but would stop before I canceled out all the calories I burned walking. If I wanted desert, I had to go walk another 3 miles before I could have the desert. When it came down to walking more or eating less... I had a choice.

3) I started exercising with just walking. I did not want to risk muscle strains or injury, and I knew that I was moving a lot of fat, with not enough muscle. Injury avoidance is a big deal. If you hurt yourself, you can't exercise until the injury heals, so you lose most or all of your gains (losses, in this case).

4) I bought rain gear and cold weather gear (I live in Chicago), and walked "as fast as I could, and as far as I could" as often as I could... just about every day. When I was doing 10 miles a day, I set that as a general limit, but on some days (weekends) when it was nice, I would do 15 or even 20 miles.

5) When I got my weight down to 185, I started exercising... calisthenics.

6) When I reached 175, I started running.

7) When I reached 165, I started free weights.

Now I run seven miles a day, and do about 45 minutes of calisthenics and free weights, Monday through Friday, and slack off on the weekend.

I noticed that my weight loss was not straight-line... I would sometimes not lose any weight for weeks, then drop several pounds all at once.

Two things are happening at once. a) you lose fat by burning it off as calories, and b), you lose fat when your body uses it to create new muscle, that the walking and exercise demand, for the increased workload.

I noticed that when I was really heavy, it was not too hard to lose weight, but the closer I got to my ideal weight, the harder and harder it was, to lose even one lb. Of course, the lighter I became, the less mass I was moving, so I was burning fewer calories per mile.

I think that it takes at least three years to really change your habits, where diet and exercise are concerned, to make the new way a 'lifetime habit'... maybe even longer. I quit smoking too, and it took about three years for the tobacco craving to finally go away.

Good luck to you. Stay motivated. Save one pair of 'fat pants', just so you can look at them a few years later, and see how far you've come. :)

Jlg
10-07-09, 04:17 PM
Back in 1994 I had a stroke and was pretty much off my feet or re-learning to walk for a couple years. I put on a lot of weight because I stopped exercising but continued to eat the same amount of food.

Here is what I did:

1) I bought a scale, a calorie counter computer program that also had an exercise function, so I could count both calories eaten, and calories burned exercising, and a kitchen-type scale and some measuring cups/spoons, so I could accurately calculate my serving sizes. Also, I bought a tailor's cloth measure, so I could accurately measure waist, neck, etc... you need that to calculate BMI.

2) I set a 1200 calorie limit at first, but later, when I was burning a lot of calories walking, I would reward myself with more food, but would stop before I canceled out all the calories I burned walking. If I wanted desert, I had to go walk another 3 miles before I could have the desert. When it came down to walking more or eating less... I had a choice.

3) I started exercising with just walking. I did not want to risk muscle strains or injury, and I knew that I was moving a lot of fat, with not enough muscle. Injury avoidance is a big deal. If you hurt yourself, you can't exercise until the injury heals, so you lose most or all of your gains (losses, in this case).

4) I bought rain gear and cold weather gear (I live in Chicago), and walked "as fast as I could, and as far as I could" as often as I could... just about every day. When I was doing 10 miles a day, I set that as a general limit, but on some days (weekends) when it was nice, I would do 15 or even 20 miles.

5) When I got my weight down to 185, I started exercising... calisthenics.

6) When I reached 175, I started running.

7) When I reached 165, I started free weights.

Now I run seven miles a day, and do about 45 minutes of calisthenics and free weights, Monday through Friday, and slack off on the weekend.

I noticed that my weight loss was not straight-line... I would sometimes not lose any weight for weeks, then drop several pounds all at once.

Two things are happening at once. a) you lose fat by burning it off as calories, and b), you lose fat when your body uses it to create new muscle, that the walking and exercise demand, for the increased workload.

I noticed that when I was really heavy, it was not too hard to lose weight, but the closer I got to my ideal weight, the harder and harder it was, to lose even one lb. Of course, the lighter I became, the less mass I was moving, so I was burning fewer calories per mile.

I think that it takes at least three years to really change your habits, where diet and exercise are concerned, to make the new way a 'lifetime habit'... maybe even longer. I quit smoking too, and it took about three years for the tobacco craving to finally go away.

Good luck to you. Stay motivated. Save one pair of 'fat pants', just so you can look at them a few years later, and see how far you've come. :)

Thank you so much Marine for stopping by and sharing your story, very motivational and you are correct when you say the closer to your weight goal the harder it is to shed the pounds. my biggest worry is muscle strain/injury i am trying really hard to protect my knees and other joints, me being so heavy it really puts stress on almost everything in my body so i bought me some running shoes and walked about 3 miles today at a steady but not so fast pace and i was actually feeling good.luckily i don't smoke or drink so i am good on that part, i am just a food addict lol

Wyoming
10-07-09, 04:20 PM
Looks like this should be the end of the thread.

The remaining would be for post builders.

IMHO.

Phantom Blooper
10-07-09, 06:35 PM
Looks like this should be the end of the thread.

The remaining would be for post builders.

Wheres Petz?:evilgrin:

Wyoming
10-07-09, 06:57 PM
Wheres Petz?:evilgrin:

Chuck, you are bad to the bone. .:D