PDA

View Full Version : MOS Question

GabyPR
09-29-09, 11:08 PM
Hello, Marines

I'am a Poolee, my ship date is 20091207 to Paris Island(cant wait to get there). My MOS is Combat Vehicle Repair Option, can someone give me a little more info about this job. Any Marine here that have that MOS???

Thanks Marines

PS: sorry if i say or spell something wrong, i'm from Puerto Rico and I learned English by myself

hussaf
09-29-09, 11:23 PM
I've never heard of it. Doesn't matter anyway...the MOS you end up with is a role of the dice....Marine Corps needs. My friends son signed on to be a jet engine mech and ended up being water purification (which I didn't know we still had...everyone just uses bottled water from Kuwait, or wherever). I enlisted as an 0331, ended up an engineer, and eventually lat-moved into another MOS a few years later.

GabyPR
09-29-09, 11:32 PM
ohh ok well lets see what happens. Thanks Marine

someone with other info??

hussaf
09-29-09, 11:54 PM
Ask you recruiter what the 4-digit MOS designator is, then google "MOS xxxx" and you should be able to find some of what you want. Good luck with bootcamp, should be a good time.

MintusMaximus
09-30-09, 12:44 AM
Sounds like a Motor T mech job.

hussaf
09-30-09, 09:45 AM
well I was thinking it sounds like some kind of billet within Motor T, or maybe even an AMOS.

GabyPR
09-30-09, 09:46 AM
with that MOS I would fe fixing tanks, AAV, lighy armored vehicle or an expeditionary vehicle, but i would like to know how it is?, if its a good job?

Failuredrill
09-30-09, 08:18 PM
Go 0300 and thank me later. Best 'job' in the Corps.

GabyPR
09-30-09, 11:13 PM
is that an infantry MOS?? I ask my recruiter if i can change my MOS and he told me I could but my shipping date will change too and i dont want that I want to become a Marine more than anything

Thank you Sergeant

Failuredrill
10-01-09, 01:28 AM
Yes 03XX is Infantry. There are a number of different specialties in that MOS field from Rifleman, Mortarman, Machinegunner, to LAV Crewman.
I understand your enthusiasm, but in my time in I came across a lot of miserable Marines who wished that they were doing something else. Just being honest, I know a Marine is a Marine but you still are going to want to have some desire and passion for what you do. Check here for a little more on Infantry: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89468

GabyPR
10-01-09, 10:07 AM
Thanks a lot Sergeant i would defenitely go to talk with my recruiter about it.

slimmy07
10-01-09, 02:00 PM
I've never heard of it. Doesn't matter anyway...the MOS you end up with is a role of the dice....Marine Corps needs. My friends son signed on to be a jet engine mech and ended up being water purification (which I didn't know we still had...everyone just uses bottled water from Kuwait, or wherever). I enlisted as an 0331, ended up an engineer, and eventually lat-moved into another MOS a few years later.

No offense, but it was Marines/former Marines like yourself that made recruiting difficult at times. If an applicant enlists in the Marine Corps and is qualified for an MOS he/she signs a SOU (statement of understanding) That SOU states the MOS field that they are going into, so for example if you sign an SOU for UH (the code for 0300) your going to get a 0300 MOS. You might get 0311 or 0331 etc. etc. but it WILL be an 0300 MOS. The ONLY time were you might get an MOS from multiple fields is if you sign up for on of the B options. For example B6 ifs ground option, so you will get an MOS in some ground MOS. The specific MOS's for B6 would be listed on the SOU that is signed by the applicant/poolee. The Corps would NEVER not honor an SOU. That would be bad business and give the Marine Corps a BAD reputation. The Corps might have done things different in the past, but not so today.

Petz
10-01-09, 02:48 PM
there aren't a lot of jobs available right now, so jobs are tagged to a "window" of sorts to ship dates to coincide with the schools pick-up date. So if you change your MOS you change your ship date and that's not cool for all parties.

I see you got the MOS group sorted for your enlistment code group thingie. Those MOSs are all good, if it's maint that means you get to learn to drive the bad-ass toys.

if you're a tank repairman generally you might get to play in a D88 which is the tank tow-truck of sorts. and that crew get's to man turrets.

You'll enjoy your time in any Maint MOS that's ground vehicles. the Wing basically sits on a flight line and have super stringent guidelines to follow, to include a system for keeping accountability of all the tools they use.

hussaf
10-01-09, 07:14 PM
Yes,
The Wing must be harder than everyone around them...I have personal experience with this. While we were doing a MARCOR Ball 'moto hump' for 12 miles around New River, I'm sure the instructors from ITB visiting the PX were like "WTF are they doing?." Then we preceded to the gas chamber...then got let go to get ready for the Ball. I even had a SNCOIC who wanted our platoon Sgt. to march us to chow. Wow (that guy was a little different though).

Coming from originally having a mech background, many fights can occur over tools (especially if the Motor T and Eng shops are next to each other). Regardless, maint. is always a useful skill to have..whether in the civilian work world, or just on your own vics. If you go maint, make sure you learn how to trouble shoot....don't just 'hang parts' all day. Oh, and expect to go from being so bored and slow you have to hide in your vics to avoid officers see you do nothing all day...to being so busy you have to work a lot of overtime and crash in the shop at night.

All jobs in the Marine Corps have there pos and neg sides. Make the best out of where you end up and you'll be a really good Marine. And if your MOS is truly not needed, you'll be augmented to guard detainees in a DETFAC or pull guard duty at the gate or OP/AP. Maybe not the most glorious of jobs, but still really important.

GabyPR
10-01-09, 07:31 PM
Thank you all Marines you have been very helpfull and my recruiter told me that my time in the Marine Corp will be bored if I make it bored and it will be good if a make it good so its on me but i think i will stay with my MOS but i still want to go to combat

Thank you all Marines again

Petz
10-01-09, 08:19 PM
if you have a ground option then you'll goto combat, I'm a MT mech and I was there.

hussaf
10-01-09, 08:35 PM
No offense, but it was Marines/former Marines like yourself that made recruiting difficult at times. If an applicant enlists in the Marine Corps and is qualified for an MOS he/she signs a SOU (statement of understanding) That SOU states the MOS field that they are going into, so for example if you sign an SOU for UH (the code for 0300) your going to get a 0300 MOS. You might get 0311 or 0331 etc. etc. but it WILL be an 0300 MOS. The ONLY time were you might get an MOS from multiple fields is if you sign up for on of the B options. For example B6 ifs ground option, so you will get an MOS in some ground MOS. The specific MOS's for B6 would be listed on the SOU that is signed by the applicant/poolee. The Corps would NEVER not honor an SOU. That would be bad business and give the Marine Corps a BAD reputation. The Corps might have done things different in the past, but not so today.

I'm glad that's changed. It certainly wasn't uncommon when I signed on. I would rather a Marine go to a generalized career path that he chose, as opposed to one forced on him. It makes for an increased likelihood that guy will become a productive Marine. I understand that, regardless of job chosen, these guys have no real idea what their job will be like until they get there. Heck, it can be vastly different depending on the unit your with and who your OIC is. I find it best to find those who just want to be a Marine. These guys will usually get out of the Marine Corps what they put in, regardless of job.

blackshirts
10-01-09, 09:17 PM
Im in tank mech school right now. All my instructors are combat vets. m88 is our vehicle. Some units carry a mech in the tank with tankers. Good mos.

GabyPR
10-01-09, 11:11 PM
Im in tank mech school right now. All my instructors are combat vets. m88 is our vehicle. Some units carry a mech in the tank with tankers. Good mos.

nice i prefer tanks than any other vehicle

is your school in Fort Knox???

blackshirts
10-02-09, 03:22 PM
yes. if you get tank mech youll be in ft benning. theyre moving there after this last class that picks up in a week or so. it looks like you can pt so thats good because pt is no joke here. we work harder than the tankers in pt. the msgt likes to run...haha. good luck. go after class leader when you get to school. im the leader here and the promotion will look good down the road.

Petz
10-02-09, 08:44 PM
it's not the promotion that looks good big dog, it's the meritorious mast when you are gunning for SSgt. all those things add up.

GabyPR
10-02-09, 10:22 PM
yes. if you get tank mech youll be in ft benning. theyre moving there after this last class that picks up in a week or so. it looks like you can pt so thats good because pt is no joke here. we work harder than the tankers in pt. the msgt likes to run...haha. good luck. go after class leader when you get to school. im the leader here and the promotion will look good down the road.

awesome because i love PT....thanks a good luck to you too Marine