PDA

View Full Version : Unit coin more than shiny metal for Communications Marines

thedrifter
09-28-09, 07:35 AM
Unit coin more than shiny metal for Communications Marines

9/25/2009 By Gunnery Sgt. Katesha Washington , Combat Logistics Regiment 27 (FWD)

First Sgt. Tyrone Choice hopes the Marines of Communications Company, Combat Logistics Regiment 27 (Forward), will remember Aug. 29, 2009. On that day, his Marines received the first commemorative coin the company has ever had produced.

“This coin is more than just a shiny symbol for tradition,” he said. “It truly represents the strong bond communications Marines have with each other and how we exemplify our motto.”

The company’s motto, ‘in omnia paratus’, is a Latin phrase which means ‘prepared for all things’. From tackling problems with the network at Camp Al Taqaddum, Iraq, to repairing and maintaining thousands of computers, the Marines of Communications Company are always ready to tackle any obstacle. Choice and the company commander, Maj. David D. Lancaster, wanted to show their appreciation for their Marines’ dedication and give them a special keepsake that the Marines can take pride in.

“When we leave Iraq and the Marines continue on in the Marine Corps or decide to get out, they will have this special coin to remember their brothers and sisters of the company that they served with during Operation Iraqi Freedom,” the former drill instructor stated.

One of the top performing Marines in the company, Cpl. James L. Iman, is grateful to have received the coin from his leadership and looks forward to showing it off when he returns to the United States.

“The coin is significant to me because it reminds me that we are not just Marines, we are a family of communicators and a team that is joined by a common bond – we are always ready to complete any mission that may arise,” the maintenance technician said.

Iman added that the coin will also remind him of the camaraderie and unity he built with his fellow leathernecks.

“It is here that I made the greatest friends I could ever meet. I have seen some of the best leaders in the Corps.” He said. “The Marines of Comm. Co. are truly brothers-in-arms.”

As Comm. Co. finishes the second half of their deployment to Iraq, they are continuing their work to keep the base’s communications assets up and running but are also in the process of drawing down gear and equipment. Regardless of the multitude of tasks they are assigned, the Marines now have a piece of history in their pockets that shows they are more than just the guys to call when AFN goes out, but the close-knit family that is living the true meaning of ‘in omnia paratus’.

Ellie