PDA

View Full Version : A Charge is really going to stop me??

Samuel21
09-27-09, 04:48 PM
Ok this just doesnt make any sense to me, a felony charge is really stopping me?? I wasent even convicted, yeah i have posted on here before about this and dont go saying im whining because I was...

USCFIGHTONUSC
09-27-09, 05:13 PM
The USMC has certain guidelines you must meet in order to qualify for enlistment. According to their rules, you are ineligible.

This does not mean anything negative about you and it is nothing personal. You are assuming that everyone who wants to be a Marine should be allowed to become one. There are many who get denied enlistment for reasons that may seem trivial, especially these days.

If everyone could be a Marine, then we wouldn't be Marines.

samthomas
09-27-09, 05:44 PM
What are you looking for, Sam? If you have been told it is a no-go, look for something else. The Marine Corps isn't missing out on anything by not taking you, they have more than enough who don't come with any baggage.

Lisa 23
09-27-09, 05:53 PM
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinejoin/a/criminal.-um-.htm
'An individual with more than one felony, is not eligible for a waiver.'

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blcriminal7.htm

United States Navy and Marine Corps
Criminal History Disqualifications
Felony Offenses

Regardless of state or local law, for enlistment purposes, the following offenses fall into the Category of Felony Offenses:

Aggravated assault; with dangerous weapon; assault intentionally inflicting great bodily harm; assault with intent to commit felony.

Assault and battery on law enforcement officer or child under 16 years of age.

Arson.

Attempt to commit felony.

Breaking and entering (all types).

Bribery.

Bigamy.

Burglary.

Carnal knowledge of child under 16.

Check, worthless, making or uttering, with intent to defraud or deceive ($501 or more)

Conspiring to commit felony.

Criminal libel.

Draft evasion.

Extortion.

Forgery; knowingly uttering or passing forged instrument (except for altered identification for purchase of alcoholic beverages).

Grand larceny; embezzlement (value $501 or more).

Housebreaking.

Illegal drugs (See special rules for drug offenses).

Impersonating a police officer, civil official, military officer.

Indecent acts or liberties with child under 16, molestation.

Indecent assault.

Kidnapping, abduction.

Leaving scene of accident (hit and run) involving personal injury and/or property damage is over $500.

Mail matter: abstracting, destroying, obstructing, opening, secreting, stealing, or taking.

Mail, depositing obscene or indecent matter.

Maiming; disfiguring.

Manslaughter.

Murder.

Obstructing justice.

Pandering.

Perjury.

Public record; altering, concealing, destroying, mutilating, obliterating, or removing.

Rape.

Riot

Robbery

Sedition; soliciting to commit sedition.

Sodomy.

Stolen property, knowingly receiving (value over $500).

Theft, shoplifting (value over $500).
NOTE: Consider offenses of comparable seriousness as a felony. In doubtful cases, apply the following rule:

If maximum confinement under state or local law exceeds 1-year, treat the offense as a felony.

A "felony" will be defined as a conviction or adverse adjudication by civil authorities (foreign or domestic), or action taken which is tantamount to a finding of guilty of an offense for which the maximum penalty is death or confinement under state or local law exceeding one year, regardless of state or local laws.
An offense will be classified a "felony" without regard to the offender's age when the offense was committed, or whether the offense was disposed of by juvenile or adult criminal proceedings. An offense classified as a felony above, will be classified as a felony for enlistment, regardless of state or local law.
In rare instances an offense may be classified as a single incident felony if more than one felony results from a single incident. Generally, if the multiple incidents are not separated by space and time, they may be considered as a single incident for waiver purposes. In order to be considered, the multiple felonies must be related and must derive from a single incident. For example, a housebreaker who steals a stereo might be considered a single incident felony for 1) felony burglary and 2) felony theft.
A single felony requires a waiver. More than one felonies are disqualifying, and no waiver is authorized.

Hologram
09-27-09, 08:19 PM
It doesn't really make sense that you're being turned down for it if you weren't charged. <br />
<br />
I would say fight it, take it up the chain of command (it'll be good practice), but if all else fails,...

Zulu 36
09-27-09, 09:31 PM
Let's read the policy posted by LASWMarine. <br />
<br />
According to the policy, and based on the information you provided in this thread and your last one, you WERE technically adjudicated when you paid...

echo3oscar1833
09-27-09, 10:36 PM
You stole plain and simple, and a golden rule in the Marine Corps is Marines Don't steal. You can sit here, and make all the excuses in the world, about how your a good kid, etc, etc. Unfortunatly we don't know you, and neither does the Marines Corps. The Marine Corps, and us have no reason to place, or want to place our trust in you, to serve in the Marine Corps. Granted Im all about second chances, everyone is entitled to one. However for you the Marine Corps will probably not be your second chance, when there are young Men and Women without baggage that will make good Marines. You say your not whining reread your post you are. Good luck with your future endeavors in life. :evilgrin:

Samuel21
09-27-09, 10:56 PM
first off, burgulary is not robbery burgulary is just breaking and entering, and i did not have a felony conviction i was never convicted

echo3oscar1833
09-27-09, 11:01 PM
first off, burgulary is not robbery burgulary is just breaking and entering, and i did not have a felony conviction i was never convicted

Yes but, you had intent to steal, or at least thats how the court looked at it, and how the Marine Corps looks at it now besides, its the principle of the matter. If the Corps dosn't want you, they don't have to take you. If the recruiting Command said no, then its no, what part of that don't you understand. Its not like you can come on here, and we can wave a freaking magic wand for you. :nerd:

samthomas
09-27-09, 11:32 PM
i payed 2500 in restitution to the victim

What did you steal?

Zulu 36
09-28-09, 06:11 AM

No, burglary is not robbery. Burglary is a crime against property and robbery is a crime against a person. However, I don't know about your state, but in Michigan what you did would be at least a 10-year felony.

You are picking nits in any case. A felony as described in the policy is a felony for enlistment purposes. Period.

Read the policy posted by LASWMarine, note the bolded items (bolding added).

A "felony" will be defined as a conviction or adverse adjudication by civil authorities (foreign or domestic), or action taken which is tantamount to a finding of guilty of an offense for which the maximum penalty is death or confinement under state or local law exceeding one year, regardless of state or local laws.

Whether you think so or not, you were adjudicated as far as this policy is concerned.

This is not the forum to argue your interpretation of Navy/Marine Corps enlistment policies. None of us here can do anything to change it.

Life sucks. Welcome to life.

0231Marine
09-28-09, 07:24 AM
...and dont go saying im whining...

- the case was closed this is bullcrap

- I have 900 hours volenteer hours on my belt, I work for local farmers for petes sakes

- how can this be that they wont take me cuz im not ****ing perfect??

- come on this is ridiculus

- you are missing out on a hell of a kid

- i can get so many letters saying how good of a kid i am this is just a joke!

- Why wont you take me

- i want a clear answer to know WHY!

The evidence points to the contrary.

Samuel21
09-28-09, 11:05 AM
alright, ill just have to accept the army and maybe someday the Corps will take me
thanks Marines

0161HardCharger
09-28-09, 11:18 AM
better than nothing serve with honor

stretchusa
09-28-09, 12:20 PM
There has to be more to this story than what you are saying. First off, if it really happened when you were 13, then the file would be sealed at 18. Second, I was charged with a felony when I was 18...

BR34
09-28-09, 12:22 PM
Damn you got a TS/SCI clearance with felony on your record? What were you charged with Stretch?

stretchusa
09-28-09, 12:27 PM
Charged with forgery convicted of petty theft.(stole check from my mom) I was a STUPID punk kid who didn't know how good he had it until my mom kicked my a** out. Took the Marine Corps to make a man...

BR34
09-28-09, 12:27 PM
So is petty theft a felony also?

NoRemorse
09-28-09, 12:29 PM
Depends on the jurisdiction but petty larceny is usually a misdemeanor.

stretchusa
09-28-09, 12:31 PM
No it is a misdemeanor, but remember this guy said he was never convicted of a felony just that he was charged. Which is why I call bullsh*! based on personal experience.:usmc:

NoRemorse
09-28-09, 12:33 PM
He was adjudicated adversely which also counts.

stretchusa
09-28-09, 12:36 PM
Depends what was entered into his record. I had comunity service and resitution as well. I think this guy is just not telling the entire truth.

NoRemorse
09-28-09, 12:40 PM
What I'm not hearing is he got a lesser charge, what it sounds like is he was adjudicated and paid a restitution in lieu of being put in a detention center. He could possibly have gotten parole as...

Zulu 36
09-28-09, 12:48 PM
Not every state handles juvenile records in the same way. Plus, a &quot;sealed&quot; juvenile record does not mean &quot;sealed in concrete.&quot; They are completely available to criminal justice officials and...

Samuel21
09-28-09, 01:00 PM
No i am telling the true and every ****ing thing i have the record sitting right next to me, but you got in when they needed Marines now they met there 202k goal so they only accept the perfect shinny clean kids

NoRemorse
09-28-09, 01:02 PM
Shut your suck. It's your fault for being stupid in the first place, don't blame the Marine Corps for having such high standards.

Either take your case elsewhere or wait until the needs of the Marine Corps dictates that they'll actually waive you in.

BR34
09-28-09, 01:12 PM
Just like expunged adult conviction records are still usually available in limited form.

Can you expand on this?

Lisa 23
09-28-09, 01:19 PM
No i am telling the true and every ****ing thing i have the record sitting right next to me, but you got in when they needed Marines now they met there 202k goal so they only accept the perfect shinny clean kids

Leave the attitude at the door there young man. :mad:
It's not the Marine Corps fault that you made a stupid mistake when you were younger. Maybe if you didn't do something so fullish, you could've been one of those 'perfect shinny clean kids' wanting to join the Marine Corps without any problems.

NoRemorse
09-28-09, 01:19 PM
Can you expand on this?

They're not available to employers but they are available to background investigators and law enforcement officials where warranted.

You'll be pulling a file with a bunch of trash on it that may have 'expunged' stamped on it or at least a copy of a face sheet on hand with the rest sent to whichever organization is supposed to keep that trash after x number of years.

nightstalker2
09-28-09, 01:32 PM
well, let me help you become a u.s. marine with some help and hard work on your part.
now if you are a habitual offender you can forget about us and join the army. You must go to a recruiter that is willing to work with you and this may mean go to another state. But those bad habits of taking what you want should have be in your past and outgrowned other bad habits. Not for nothing everyone needs a chance just joining does not make a marine completion of boot camp is the real test. So telling you to take a hike is not coming from me. If you paid your dues take from a recruiter that help put jacksonville florida on the map. Go to a congressman or your representative of your state and present you case with joining the finest fighting force the world has ever seen. Good luck

commdog7
09-28-09, 02:04 PM

What don't you understand? The Marine Corps doesn't want you and I don't want you. You cry and complain too much, suck it up.

Boo-woo, the Marine Corps has too high of standards, they won't accept my felony waiver, boo-woo-woo. The Corps isn't going to lower its standards just so a whiner like you can join. Luckily for you, the Army has a way of accepting the Corps' rejects. I suggest you call up the Army recruiter today and you'll be on your way to Army basic training in no time.

stretchusa
09-28-09, 02:15 PM
Not every state handles juvenile records in the same way. Plus, a "sealed" juvenile record does not mean "sealed in concrete." They are completely available to criminal justice officials and background investigators with the right signed releases. Just like expunged adult conviction records are still usually available in limited form.

If you know where and how to look (and have the proper authority), those "sealed" records are wide open.
I knew this as far as background investigators for clearances go. I am not sure as far as enlisting.....And Sam21 I didn't get in when the Marine Corps needed 202K I enlisted in Aug 2001 because I wanted to grow up and become a man. If the Marine Corps had said no, I would have said thank you, for letting me try and not *****ED and COMPLAINED about MY F*#$ UP!!!!!!:mad:

Zulu 36
09-28-09, 02:40 PM
An expunged record cannot be used as a prior conviction in subsequent criminal prosecutions, nor as a prior arrest. However, the police and court still maintain records that show you were arrested,...

nightstalker2
09-28-09, 03:30 PM
I can tell you guys don't want to have someone make it in the Corps like you guys did, hell if the guy makes it through boot camp more power to him, he's probably someone i would like fighting beside me in a fox hole or sand shack.

nightstalker2
09-28-09, 03:37 PM
we need more bodies in the war and his is just as good if not better because he not likely to give up easy. Think hell with the draft you'll get serial killers, rapist, and people who love to kill for a living. But then you get a person owning the corps for taking him out of the life of s--t to one of work and sacrifice with a mixture of loyalty.

Samuel21
09-28-09, 05:19 PM
If the Marine Corps had said no, I would have said thank you, for letting me try and not *****ED and COMPLAINED about MY F*#$ UP!!!!!!:mad:

Well excuse me for fighting for my chance, not a right but maybe a chance to be a Marine, I dont give up why do you think I wanna join the Marine Corps?

echo3oscar1833
09-28-09, 05:41 PM
Well excuse me for fighting for my chance, not a right but maybe a chance to be a Marine, I dont give up why do you think I wanna join the Marine Corps?

Look kid, here is the deal, the Marine Corps said no, now like someone said you can try another recruiter, and all that stuff. Might work, might not, you have to realize one thing the Recruiter is not the one to make the decision, its the Marine Corps Recruiting Commands Decision. (ie higher ups). What I don't get is you came on here with some intention of us telling you what can be done. You didn't ask politely, or professionally, you demanded that we tell you why the Marine Corps does not want you. We told you, end of story, however after we told you, and pointed you on your merry way you continued to be disrespectful. You don't come on here and demand us to give you information, and hold your hand, because you screwed up, and can't accept the fact that you did. That kinda attitude will never get you anywhere, you wanna get some advice we can give it all day. However if you wanna keep getting advice from here I would advise you to choose your next few words carefully and tactfully. Semper Fi:evilgrin:

Lisa 23
09-28-09, 05:58 PM
Young man, most of the Marines here aren't Recruiters, and have no authority to change the situation that you are in or grant you a waiver. The "Ask A Marine forum" is a Marine Corps forum to give "advice" to those who want to join the Marine Corps. We don't work or perform miracles here for those who want to join.
You asked a question, and the Marines here gave you the best possible answers they could. You don't like the anwsers that were given, well...that's not our fault, it's yours.
Don't come in here and have a war of words contest with Marines, because you just aren't going to win. Plain and simple!
You asked your questions and they have been answered...and now it's time for you to move on.

Lisa 23
09-28-09, 06:15 PM
Also, you cannot compare your troubles to the troubles that he/she may have had in the past. Different times, different situations, and different needs of the Marine Corps, and stricter guidelines for waivers.
It's unfortunate for you, that the Marine Corps is well beyond meeting their needs for men and women to join, especially those who require some type of waiver for the trouble he/she may have been in. At this time, it looks like it just isn't going to happen for you.

Samuel21
09-28-09, 06:17 PM
Thank you Marines.

nightstalker2
09-29-09, 05:08 AM
you're welcome

Samuel21
09-29-09, 08:14 PM
Hey Marines, sorry for being disrespectful, NO excuses. I just wanted to try and find a way to help me, thats all my objective was. Thanks again Marines.

sparkie
09-29-09, 08:25 PM
Son,,,, May the Good Lord bless you're steps. Kinda like mine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,