PDA

View Full Version : New Swim Quals

Twinx
09-26-09, 02:20 PM
So I got a letter from my bf today. He had swim quals this week. He said something about them changing swim quals, and that they were the first company to do it. Does anyone know about this change?

BR34
09-26-09, 04:47 PM
LMAO, someone in boot camp is always the "first company to do" something.

Petz
09-26-09, 04:49 PM
I was the first company to start the full on MCMAP program.

but uh, yeah they are changing the swim qual. It's not a big deal.

Twinx
09-27-09, 09:18 PM
what are they changing they too, does anybody know

samthomas
09-27-09, 09:45 PM
what are they changing they too, does anybody know

I heard that they had made it more difficult in order to start weeding out at least 10% of the recruits...I hope you can swim.

Twinx
09-27-09, 09:57 PM
yea im a senior life guard and swim for my college

Petz
09-27-09, 10:02 PM
he was kidding.

look, why do you care what changed? you didn't do the old way so it shouldn't affect you in any way, shape or form.

you'll be ok.

Twinx
09-27-09, 10:04 PM
I was just wondering what you have to do now, I'm shooting for crew chief and don't now how the qualification works now.

Petz
09-27-09, 10:08 PM
they just lumped them together is all. Nothing new, just a new way of calling the qualifications. It only adds a few things like a dunk tank at the higher levels.

Twinx
09-27-09, 10:13 PM
ok thank you for your answers Marines

GREY MATTER
09-28-09, 04:06 AM
I was the first company to start the full on MCMAP program.

for real? so you didnt come in till late 2003?

0231Marine
09-28-09, 07:42 AM
for real? so you didnt come in till late 2003?

They were doing the full MCMAP program before that. I went to boot in October 2002 and we did it then and I know they had it prior to that.

Also, if you look at his profile, it says he came in the Marine Corps in 2001

As for my first...we were the first series to receive the new MarPat Cammies when they came out.

BR34
09-28-09, 08:10 AM
Yea....we were the first to not get an all weather coat or any blue issues.

Well, maybe not the first, but the only ones I know about.

Petz
09-28-09, 10:11 AM
there's an all new all-weather coat? you got pictures?

polizei
09-28-09, 10:19 AM
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/7/5/8/5/4/7/webimg/267882443_o.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/7/5/8/5/4/7/webimg/267882521_o.jpg

Petz
09-28-09, 10:29 AM
Polizei!!! you finished! when the crap was that? congratulations.

and that looks exactly the same as mine.

Supersquishy
09-28-09, 10:44 AM
Polizei!!! you finished! when the crap was that? congratulations.

and that looks exactly the same as mine.

Ditto, looks just like the one I was issued, I still have mine. AKA "Inspector Gadget" coat.

wargrudge
09-29-09, 04:23 AM

My Company in boot was the first to start getting issued Dress Blues again. (No all weather coats though.)

GREY MATTER
09-29-09, 04:29 AM
They were doing the full MCMAP program before that. I went to boot in October 2002 and we did it then and I know they had it prior to that.

Also, if you look at his profile, it says he came in the Marine Corps in 2001

As for my first...we were the first series to receive the new MarPat Cammies when they came out.

we didnt have to do any mcmap on my first enlistment..there was buzz about it right before i got out (november 2003) in my second command it was required, but not really enforced...hell im still rocking a web belt. but i am currently scheduled to go through all of the training up to green belt.

GREY MATTER
09-29-09, 04:30 AM

i still have never worn my all weather coat...you can have mine if you want :)

GREY MATTER
09-29-09, 04:31 AM
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/7/5/8/5/4/7/webimg/267882443_o.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/7/5/8/5/4/7/webimg/267882521_o.jpg

nothing new about that coat :)
same one i got in boot camp

Petz
09-29-09, 09:31 AM
maybe he means that it's "NEW" like never been worn???

Supersquishy
09-29-09, 09:58 AM
hehe I love it, we go from swim quals to all weather coats in two pages.

BR34
09-29-09, 10:22 AM
there's an all new all-weather coat? you got pictures?

What are you all talking about? I didn't say it was new. I said we didn't get issued one, at all.

Mass confusion.

BR34
09-29-09, 10:24 AM
i still have never worn my all weather coat...you can have mine if you want :)
Actually I bought one off a Marine that had gotten orders to Pendleton when I was in MOS school. Paid him 5 bucks for it cause he didn't want it cluttering up his sea bag.

hussaf
09-29-09, 03:29 PM
The all-new whether coat looks like the old one...but that's no surprise.

I went to BC in '01 and was maybe the second Company to do MCMAP. We still got our EGA after the Crucible, though. I hear they give you a MCMAP belt now....gay.

I thought they stopped issuing Blues in like the 80's because too many people were going to Saigon Sam's (or wherever) and pawning them.

They apparently started issuing Blues again and those who did not receive them in BC can now get a free issue.

Many many people have trouble passing CWS-4 in the 'old qual...which simply equates to swimming from one side of the pool to the other and tread water for a few minutes (in utilities, no boots). Oh and like doing the abandon ship technique (jumping in the pool with a 30 inch clearance from what you jump off of). So, don't necessarily believe everything that is said in bootcamp. But who knows...they redid the rifle range and made the CFT...so maybe some officer somewhere is looking for a Bronze Star by writing a proposal for a new swim qual.

Petz
09-29-09, 03:54 PM
the funny thing about them pawning the blues is that you're still responsible for maintaining them. SOOOO I'd say you're making that up.

and you don't get a free issue, you still have to pay out of your pocket, you just get reimbursed in your clothing allowance through 2011 at which point everyone will be required to maintain a blues coat.

and there IS a new swim qual, serious... do you even KNOW what you are talking about guy?

Twinx
09-29-09, 03:57 PM
Well I asked the SDI's wife and she said that they did change the swim quals at MCRDSD and that Kilo co is the first to go through the new ones. Apparently all of the recruits are at swim qual 4.

Petz
09-29-09, 04:05 PM
Twinx, don't worry about him. I don't think you need to give him any more attention than his presumed IQ demands.

Lisa 23
09-29-09, 06:34 PM
And Twinx, that's Senior Drill Instructor to you, not SDI.

Twinx
09-29-09, 10:09 PM
Yes Ma'am

Hologram
09-29-09, 10:25 PM
First company to get the new running suit. Make fun of it all you want, and yeah, it's mostly useless, but it's nice.

hussaf
09-29-09, 11:47 PM
the funny thing about them pawning the blues is that you're still responsible for maintaining them. SOOOO I'd say you're making that up.

-probably why they stopped issuing them then. Besides, that's just what I heard.

and you don't get a free issue, you still have to pay out of your pocket, you just get reimbursed in your clothing allowance through 2011 at which point everyone will be required to maintain a blues coat.

-well I did get a free issue. Sort of; only received the jacket, gloves, and rank so far. (due to lack of funding, or so I am told). If anyone is interested, go here http://kyloc.com/ . I don't get clothing allowance anymore as I am in a reserve status. So I guess maybe just reservists get them for free (pending fund availability) and AD get their reimbursement.

and there IS a new swim qual, serious... do you even KNOW what you are talking about guy?

-Apparently not. I swam a few weeks ago and I'm guessing it was the old system, although we had a current MCWIS instructor.

Petz
09-30-09, 12:04 AM
uh, yeah. it's the difference between reservists and AD.

doesn't show you're in the reserves so it was hard to make that determination.

reservists are still using the old system of one for one swaps on everything to include cammies.

and apparently there is a new swim qual, so don't worry about it. Reservists will more than likely be the last to see it if at all because it requires a dunk tank at the higher levels.

hussaf
09-30-09, 12:16 AM
and apparently there is a new swim qual, so don't worry about it. Reservists will more than likely be the last to see it if at all because it requires a dunk tank at the higher levels.

yeah, I've been issued a shelter half before...so I'm guessing dunk tanks won't come into play until next time I augment with IIMEF.

Regardless, I'm sure Twinx's boyfriend will have no trouble getting through swim qual. If I remember, it was a nice break from the monotony of bootcamp.

Twinx
09-30-09, 12:58 AM
yes he made it through fine.
But from what I have heard, you can only get swim qual 4 now at boot. So for the people that need swim qual 1 or 2 for their MOS have to continue at MCT?

GREY MATTER
09-30-09, 04:03 AM
yes he made it through fine.
But from what I have heard, you can only get swim qual 4 now at boot. So for the people that need swim qual 1 or 2 for their MOS have to continue at MCT?

no they will have to do it once in the fleet...and most cammands wont send anyone to swim qual until their qual expires...level 2 and one never have to requal (or at least thats the way it was)

hussaf
09-30-09, 09:42 AM
...yeah, it's definitely something he, or you, should NOT stress over. They will get him qualed up when they want to.

Lisa 23
09-30-09, 12:19 PM
My nephew, who is currently at MCT at Camp Lejeune, received his Blues (complete set) in boot camp, and he's a reservist. Hussaf, they arn't 'free.' You are paying for them, you just don't realize it.
I believe only the honor grad gets his Blues for free.

Petz
09-30-09, 02:07 PM
no LAS, it's part of the initial clothing issue allowance. they get the money from the government then the government takes the money away.

as a reservist, if an item becomes un-serviceable they do a one for one swap at their units supply and don't pay anything because they don't get uniform allowances.

no they will have to do it once in the fleet...and most cammands wont send anyone to swim qual until their qual expires...level 2 and one never have to requal (or at least thats the way it was)

No, they need to up their qual before they leave MCT, I'd ASSUME they are making the necessary adjustments to training so those who need it will swim qual. As I said it requires a dunk tank, something the depots don't have yet.

so for the rest of the Marines, yes. They are having to upgrade out in the fleet, but those who need the higher one; the Corps will provide.

Lisa 23
09-30-09, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the info SSgt Petz! :thumbup:

Twinx
09-30-09, 08:25 PM
Thank you Marines

GREY MATTER
10-01-09, 03:43 AM
no LAS, it's part of the initial clothing issue allowance. they get the money from the government then the government takes the money away.

as a reservist, if an item becomes un-serviceable they do a one for one swap at their units supply and don't pay anything because they don't get uniform allowances.

No, they need to up their qual before they leave MCT, I'd ASSUME they are making the necessary adjustments to training so those who need it will swim qual. As I said it requires a dunk tank, something the depots don't have yet.

so for the rest of the Marines, yes. They are having to upgrade out in the fleet, but those who need the higher one; the Corps will provide.

i'll find out soon enough as all of my info has been deleted from MOL since i was out for 3 years...bummer too cause i was a first class swim qual