PDA

View Full Version : Lat Move to Ordinance?

commdog7
09-26-09, 01:48 PM
I'm in the process of re-enlisting and I plan on doing a lat-move. I want to do something with ordinance, but I don't know what. Ordinance sounds exciting and I feel it may be the best opportunity to get closer to the fight. There's only one problem... 65xx or 2336?

I'll start with 2336 (EOD). This field has always sparked my interest and the re-enlistment bonus is up to 90k last I checked. This one seems to have the greatest potential for me to get as close as possible to actual combat, which is appealing to me. But I realize that most of my time in the mos will be spent in training and I may never actually get to defuse a bomb. Training, training, and more training without the guarantee of actually defusing something doesn't sound fun to me. I want an mos where I'm productive and actually contribute to the mission.

65xx (Aviation Ordinance), on the other hand, sounds kind of fun too. The re-enlistment bonus is 13k and I'm not sure if it's lat-move friendly. In this mos, I will actually be doing something mission essential rather than constantly training. Working with aircraft sounds exciting too. These ol' bones are getting old, and I feel that swinging with the wing would be a good option. But if I wanted to transfer these skills to the civilian world, there isn't many job opportunities available like there is with EOD.

I was hoping I could get more insight on what these mos's entail. I'm a little fuzzy on the actually duties and lifestyle of each mos, particularly 65xx. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Semper Fidelis :iwo:

Integrity57
09-26-09, 02:39 PM
Sgt. I'm just speaking from I know of Navy AO's, and that's that they build up bombs and rockets, service the guns on aircraft and do some small-arms maintenance. I'd imagine Marine AO's do much of the same since they go to the same A-School and learn the same material. But to me it seems like that would get rather boring out in the fleet, i.e. hanging out in a ship's magazine building up bombs, then the good ole' 1,2,3, Lift!

And it wouldn't provide with much to take into the Civilian world. In fact, the Navy college program that is designed to help Sailors transfer their skills in their rate to the civilian world suggests that AO's take business managerial courses which seems completely counterintuitive to me.

Supersquishy
09-26-09, 02:56 PM
Wouldnt you be closer to the fight as being a RO with a FAC unit like Anglico? The Ordies that are with the wing are in the rear at an airbase or airfield, the aircraft are used as a vehicle to transport the weopons to be dropped or shot many miles away.

Rocky C
09-26-09, 03:02 PM
WHAT???
There is NO WAY Commdog posted this!!!
Old Bones???

Something is happening on this site today!!!

commdog7
09-26-09, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm sure being an AO would get a little dull after a while, but it sounds like fun building bombs and loading them onto aircraft.

I've worked with FAC Marines before, the job ain't as fun as it looks. I was on a TACP exercise in 29 Palms a little while back, it was cool watching FAC's work for the first day, but it got boring fast. They are more of radio operators than anything else, and that's the mos I'm trying to get away from. I would be happy if I never saw another radio in my life.

And RI, you may not know it, but female Marines age 10x faster in the Corps than in the civilian world. I feel like I'm a 35 yr old lady!

Thanks again for all the help.

Rocky C
09-26-09, 04:26 PM
I would have never beleived that this is the 22 year old WM MSG SuperMoto Commdog that I know that never calls me RI that posted this.

I guess you never really know.
Semper Fi,
Rocky out...

GSEMarine94
09-26-09, 06:02 PM
If I remember correctly Marine84 was an AO.
As a winger assigned to a helo unit the AO's I knew were extremely board, but I also served during peace time.

Herm
09-26-09, 06:33 PM
0- Level ordance, is assigned directly to a sqaudron, does 1-2-3 lift and actaully loads the bombs on the aircraft, and takes the gun systems out. I-level ordance is assigned to a MALS, and delivers ordance to the sqaudron. In a MALS you can be assigned to gun shop, who works on the guns, rack shop who works on bomb racks, AWSE who works on trailers and other support equipment, and Munitions who does the build up of bombs and loads rockets into rocket pods, and munitions also does the deliveries. Being I-level you can also get sent to station ordance which is non-deployable and the most skate job in the Marine Corps.

btw O-level is 6531 and I-level is 6541

commdog7
09-29-09, 06:41 PM
0- Level ordance, is assigned directly to a sqaudron, does 1-2-3 lift and actaully loads the bombs on the aircraft, and takes the gun systems out. I-level ordance is assigned to a MALS, and delivers ordance to the sqaudron. In a MALS you can be assigned to gun shop, who works on the guns, rack shop who works on bomb racks, AWSE who works on trailers and other support equipment, and Munitions who does the build up of bombs and loads rockets into rocket pods, and munitions also does the deliveries. Being I-level you can also get sent to station ordance which is non-deployable and the most skate job in the Marine Corps.

Are you a 31 or 41? How long are the schools and what's the day-to-day lifestyle like? Does the job suck or is it as exciting as it sounds?

I still haven't made up my mind what I want to lat move into. So many mos's to choose from....

samthomas
09-29-09, 06:46 PM
Ordinance sounds exciting and I feel it may be the best opportunity to get closer to the fight.

Are you going to be happy with ordinance when the fighting ends?

Herm
09-29-09, 06:55 PM
Are you a 31 or 41? How long are the schools and what's the day-to-day lifestyle like? Does the job suck or is it as exciting as it sounds?

I still haven't made up my mind what I want to lat move into. So many mos's to choose from....

Im a 41, the shcools not to bad. You go to Pensacola for A school for about 2 months, then from there there you get orders and get to pick I-level or 0-level, for O-level its either helos, witch goes to Pendleton, harriers witch go to cherry point, prowlers in lemore CA, And f-18's in NAS Oceana Virginia. for I-level your either MEU or f-18's all I-level C shchool is at Cherry Point. I cant speak for 0-level, but from what I've seen the work more hours and weekends the I level. As for I-level, day to day is usaully 0700 to about 1700 depending on what shop you get. Munitions sometimes has to make deliveries and pick ups from sqaudron in the wee hours of the night, And early in the morning. As for closer to the fight. We really arent, all though I have met O-level helo instructors with there CARS because they often work out of FARPS, while in Afgahnistan or Iraq.

commdog7
09-29-09, 07:08 PM
After A school, you are allowed to choose whether you want I- or O- level? Do you get to pick what aircraft you want to work with or do they just assign you based on the needs of the Corps?

If you are I-level, do you get to work with the birds at all?

Thanks.

Herm
09-29-09, 08:02 PM
After A school, you are allowed to choose whether you want I- or O- level? Do you get to pick what aircraft you want to work with or do they just assign you based on the needs of the Corps?

If you are I-level, do you get to work with the birds at all?

Thanks.

You get to pick your orders depending on how you do in the class. Top of the class will pick first, but when you do get to pick the orders that you want may not be there. For example when I picked orders I had like 3rd pick, but there was only I-level orders. The class that gradauted 3 days after us only had one I-level order, and the rest O-level Harriers and f-18's. Being I level you really dont get to work close to the birds, just the equipment that goes on them.

Petz
09-29-09, 08:37 PM
commdoggie, EOD is the way to go. It's not all training, there are sooo many ranges you need to go on 'cause un-exploded ordinance (a thumb-clip on a grenade).

and they practice defusing real bombs (right? I heard that before). So yeah, I'd say go for EOD, there's a reason it's high demand right now, you'd be in the suck in a matter of months after finishing MOS school. where as you'd never see anything but the underside of a plane if you went the way of the wing.

besides, your moto-ness would 'cause you to take your own life in the wing environment.

I want to hear about EODdog7 stories.... go for it! then pay me 1,000 dollars for turning you in the right direction. Or you could take me out for lunch...

Supersquishy
09-30-09, 05:33 AM
If your O-level Harrier, you will be loading smurf bombs(small inert) most the time, and inserting CADS.

Every now and then you will load live 500# bombs out at the far end of the field. You will not get to see them blow up at the range.

If you were to go in that field, I would recommend being a Mechanic or Crew chief on helicopters. Shoot, as a crew chief you will/could be a gunner on a Huey shooting up stuff. You will see more and do more than I did. Just don't pick AH-1 you won't get to fly in them.

GREY MATTER
09-30-09, 06:18 AM
i suggest EOD if you want to be able to get a good job when you decide to get out of the Marine Corps....although there is a reason the bonus is so high..as their life expectancy isnt very high...they rate right up there with radio operators in vietnam.

as far as aviation ordnance....you can look forward to being a Carnie when you get out. Cause there are absolutely no jobs for aviation ordnance when you separate....not many commercial airliners carry bombs :)

GREY MATTER
09-30-09, 06:22 AM
0- Level ordance, is assigned directly to a sqaudron, does 1-2-5 lift and actually loads the bombs on the aircraft, and takes the gun systems out. I-level ordance is assigned to a MALS, and delivers ordance to the sqaudron. In a MALS you can be assigned to gun shop, who works on the guns, rack shop who works on bomb racks, AWSE who works on trailers and other support equipment, and Munitions who does the build up of bombs and loads rockets into rocket pods, and munitions also does the deliveries. Being I-level you can also get sent to station ordance which is non-deployable and the most skate job in the Marine Corps.

fixed :P

knuckle dragger

Marine84
09-30-09, 08:24 AM
6541 here - CD7, you will LOVE Ordnance (an "ordinance" is some rule that a city lays down).

It's waaaaaaaay different now (I'm sure) but there is always something to work on. I was in a F18 maintenance squadron. Every now and then we got to do buildups (this will be where you earn your Ordnance Wings - not something you can put on your uniform but saying that you can handle a buildup without whining and crying). The rest of the time you'll do maintenance on bomb racks and guns. We worked hard and partied harder.

Go for it! SWING WITH THE WING BABY! IYAOYAS!

commdog7
09-30-09, 11:56 AM
Thanks for all the help. The more knowledge I get, the more confused I become! :(

Wanting to go EOD is what got me in this mess in the first place. I am considering the officer's side, or the dark side, as I am 4 classes away from my bachelor's degree (once I finish the 3 I'm enrolled in). If I did go officer, I'd want to go into the aviation side, maybe even fly if I'm lucky. I haven't made up my mind on whether or not I want to go officer, but I think aviation ordinance would be a good choice if I do decide to switch over and continue in aviation.

Then again, EOD has good job opportunities and higher bonuses. I looked into arial gunner, the order does NOT state I cannot be a gunner (as I am female), but I assume certain restrictions do apply. I think that would be a really cool mos to be an arial gunner. I would sign up for that mos in a heartbeat, but I think it's one of those mos's I have to start from somewhere else, like crew chief. I'm not sure what a crew chief does or how good my odds are of being an arial gunner is. Does anyone know what a crew chief does?

EOD, 6531, 6541, or crew chief? Which one should I pick! :banana:

Wyoming
09-30-09, 12:10 PM
Crew Chief!!!

Supersquishy
09-30-09, 12:47 PM
Crew Chief is in charge of that helicopter, Plane Captain is in charge of that Jet. The Crew Chief however is also part of the Flight Crew and has to fly in the Helo as an observer, and to perform...

Wyoming
09-30-09, 01:09 PM
HMX-1 has a mixture of male and female flight crews on Marine One. <br />
<br />
As an MSG, you already have all the TS and such clearances needed, so you are a big jump ahead!!

Petz
09-30-09, 02:03 PM
yeah, but they don't really have a door gunner on Marine-1.

commdog, if you go EOD and for some reason flunk the school you become an ammo tech, you will count ammo for ever.

if you have the option to go officer then I say give EOD a shot then after you get your bonus (you'll need to do the 4 years to be able to keep the money) then you should be a SSgt (it's still pay-wise a good call going officer up through 12 year gunny) and can apply for being an officer)

Good luck, let us know what you think.

commdog7
09-30-09, 02:31 PM
commdog, if you go EOD and for some reason flunk the school you become an ammo tech, you will count ammo for ever.

Yikes! You're scaring me SSgt.... :(

commdog7
09-30-09, 02:34 PM
I'm leaning towards crew chief right now. How difficult would it be to lat move into that field as a Sgt? Would I be so far behind my peers that there is no hope for me? I don't think it's one of those lat-move friendly mos's....

Petz
09-30-09, 02:44 PM
it's just gonna require a lot of learning commdog. lots of off hours studying to catch up.

but EOD... if you do become an ammo tech you can submit for your OCS request right away!

but if you get EOD you need to do it for the 4 year contract in order to keep the 90,000.

Supersquishy
09-30-09, 02:49 PM
I'm leaning towards crew chief right now. How difficult would it be to lat move into that field as a Sgt? Would I be so far behind my peers that there is no hope for me? I don't think it's one of those lat-move friendly mos's....

1. Lat move should be easy if there are openings,and you meet the requirements, talk to your career counsler to be sure.

2. That is an excellent question! I will save you a months worth of reading and cut to the chase. BE CHIT HOT with learning the systems and procedures. Into the fleet, learn everything you are supposed to do. Pull your own weight. Things will be smooth once you get to know everyone.

commdog7
09-30-09, 03:11 PM
it's just gonna require a lot of learning commdog. lots of off hours studying to catch up.

but EOD... if you do become an ammo tech you can submit for your OCS request right away!

but if you get EOD you need to do it for the 4 year contract in order to keep the 90,000.

But I'm not sure if I want to go the officer route and I prefer not to put myself in a predicament where I'd be forced to do so because I have a sh!tty mos. Maybe I'll look into Crew Chief a little more. :banana:

commdog7
09-30-09, 03:19 PM
1. Lat move should be easy if there are openings,and you meet the requirements, talk to your career counsler to be sure.

2. That is an excellent question! I will save you a months worth of reading and cut to the chase. BE CHIT HOT with learning the systems and procedures. Into the fleet, learn everything you are supposed to do. Pull your own weight. Things will be smooth once you get to know everyone.

I realize it would be a lot of work to catch up to my fellow Sgt's in that mos. I would have to rely heavily on my junior Marines to teach me what I need to know- which I have no problem with. I'll look into it.

Rah! :banana:

Zulu 36
09-30-09, 03:39 PM
C

If they allow Female Pilots to fly in harms way, Im sure they allow female enlisted flight crew too. GET SOME!

I've seen videos and photos of female chopper crew manning guns on Phrogs in Iraq (earlier in the war). I'm sure there are gals still in it.

Wyoming
09-30-09, 08:03 PM
yeah, but they don't really have a door gunner on Marine-1. Crew Chief, go Crew Chief!! Besides, I was never talking about door gunners. Never heard the term before, SSgt Adam Petzold.

if you have the option to go officer then I say give EOD a shot then after you get your bonus (you'll need to do the 4 years to be able to keep the money) then you should be a SSgt (it's still pay-wise a good call going officer up through 12 year gunny) and can apply for being an officer)

Good luck, let us know what you think.

I'm leaning towards crew chief right now.Quit leaning, GO FOR IT!!

commdog7
09-30-09, 08:36 PM
I hear the school is amost a year long for crew chief, the war will be over by the time I make it to the fleet! There's no fun in being a door gunner if there ain't any terrorist shoot.... :(

Petz
09-30-09, 08:41 PM
and that's all she wrote.

so CD, what's your thoughts leaning towards.

Wyoming
09-30-09, 10:45 PM
I hear the school is amost a year long for crew chief, the war will be over by the time I make it to the fleet! There's no fun in being a door gunner if there ain't any terrorist shoot.... :(

There will never be peace.

There will always be terrorists.

There will always be war.

Go Crew Chief!!

Petz
09-30-09, 11:59 PM
Al, has a point CD, historically there's conflict every 10 years. How much of that a door gunner will see... and since you're getting up there in rank and will become a universal shop chief or something of that nature in the next 10 years; well you can make your call, you're a grown woman. I feel you've been "informed" enough by anyone here.

I hope people don't think this is a criticism, that would ruin my day!

Supersquishy
10-01-09, 05:09 AM

Don't forget Iran, N.Korea, Africa, I doubt we will be out of Afganistan in the next year, who knows maybe another surge to boost Allahbamas ratings? I would be watching Iran closely, Ireal is chomping at the bit, and Iran is already surrounded by us.

Forgot to add Pakistan too...

GREY MATTER
10-01-09, 05:19 AM
i dont see us out of fighting stance for at least 10 years

commdog7
10-01-09, 09:25 AM
I'm still leaning towards crew chief. I'm just looking for a way to deploy to Afghanistan before I start with the school. That's where the fighting is right now, if I go straight into crew chief, it will take me at least 2 years to get over there. By that time either the war will be over or there will be very little fighting left (like Iraq is now). I'm currently on an extension to finish MSG. Maybe I should hold off re-enlisting until I get to Afghanistan, then I can lat move to crew chief... but then I might have to extend again just to go there, which I don't know if that's possible.... I'm in a pickle.

Once I make it to crew chief, then I will concern myself with the future wars.

Wyoming
10-01-09, 09:56 AM
I'm still leaning towards crew chief. I'm just looking for a way to deploy to Afghanistan before I start with the school. That's where the fighting is right now, if I go straight into crew chief, it will take me at least 2 years to get over there. By that time either the war will be over or there will be very little fighting left (like Iraq is now). I'm currently on an extension to finish MSG. Maybe I should hold off re-enlisting until I get to Afghanistan, then I can lat move to crew chief... but then I might have to extend again just to go there, which I don't know if that's possible.... I'm in a pickle.

Once I make it to crew chief, then I will concern myself with the future wars.

There you have it. Done deal.

Petz
10-01-09, 12:26 PM
just so you know, you can only extend so much. Though there are reasons for extensions that will allow you to extend more, I'd say extending to see what boat spaces are available for you next october is do-able. but anything to allow you to goto the stan probably isn't.

Zulu 36
10-01-09, 12:50 PM
Commdog, you don't really need a certain MOS to make you truly happy. All you want is the chance to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Right? :thumbup:

Integrity57
10-01-09, 01:21 PM
Two of my uncles were Navy EOD Techs and still work in the EOD field since they've retired and absolutely love what they do. Going Crew Chief I'm guessing you would have to attend the Naval Aircrew School in P-Cola (right? i could be wrong, idk for sure) and they do some intense PT, I've seen both booters and Fleet Sailors and Marines get dropped from it for injuries and not being able to hang with the PT. I know some Sailors get to go back to their ship/squadron and booters have to pick a new Rate. Not sure what would happen with a Fleet Marine, I'd imagine it'd be similar with being sent back to your unit.

Petz
10-01-09, 02:21 PM
since we're over booked and boat spaces are few, I'd say the rumors of you getting your DD-214 are true.

Thank you for trying, please come again.

jstkiknit
10-01-09, 11:30 PM
Look man, there is an UNBELIEVABLE amount of bum scoop being passed here, if you have serious questions about EOD just shoot me a PM and i will answer them directly. but.... and i mean this S&!T dont even bring up the money, because your spirits will be crushed if thats the base for your decision. oh and FYI we dont have the life expectancy of a "vietnam operator" or any of that ignorant crap, it is a VERY diverse field. we do do everything from nukes and bio chem to air ordnance (yes your all spelling it wrong) to IED's and ejection seats. so dont get wrapped around the axel on the war goin on right now, that is only what everyone sees. they dont see us in suits with the secret service details, but we are their. or on the ground with MARSOC, but we are there.

commdog7
10-02-09, 12:54 AM
Look man, there is an UNBELIEVABLE amount of bum scoop being passed here, if you have serious questions about EOD just shoot me a PM and i will answer them directly. but.... and i mean this S&!T dont even bring up the money, because your spirits will be crushed if thats the base for your decision. oh and FYI we dont have the life expectancy of a "vietnam operator" or any of that ignorant crap, it is a VERY diverse field. we do do everything from nukes and bio chem to air ordnance (yes your all spelling it wrong) to IED's and ejection seats. so dont get wrapped around the axel on the war goin on right now, that is only what everyone sees. they dont see us in suits with the secret service details, but we are their. or on the ground with MARSOC, but we are there.

Man? I got balls, but no penis.... :banana:

I seriously considered EOD before the high bonuses came out. I like things that go boom, that's why I'm looking into the ordnance field. Is the bonus a factor in my decision? Of course it is, but it is a small factor. That's why I'm considering aviation ordnance as well, even though it has a bonus of 13k compared to the 90k EOD bonus.

What I'm mostly looking for is job satisfaction. Will I like being EOD? I'm afraid it's going to be one of those mos's where it's nothing but training and inventories, and if I'm luckly, maybe I'll see a real bomb before my contract is up. I don't want an mos that's nothing but "training", I want to further the mission. I want to deploy, I want to be in the fight, and I want to do something productive. And by the way, I'm a radio operator- so that whole life expectancy thing doesn't scare me one bit. :D

But if you would like to enhance my knowledge on EOD so that I may make a more informed decision, then I would appreciate your help. I know the job description, but what is the actual mos like? What is the lifestyle like? How much of it is training vs actual? Is it as high speed as it's made out to be, or does it suck?

Thanks.

Petz
10-02-09, 01:45 AM
CommDog, I think he made it pretty clear that it's not all about training. Maybe you should go to the EOD unit when you get home and check them out. I'm sure you can even email that Sgt's SNCOIC and ask him questions on what his day-to-day is.

Don't think everything is just training, 'cause... it is. The only time we do it for "real" is when we have bullets coming down range at us.

Even the EOD guys disarming ejection seats and nukes are training for that moment that they will be under a hail of bullets while doing that same thing.

I'm being kinda stupid with that, honestly; disarming a nuke would freak me the hell out. I'd say that's excitement at it's core.

make an educated decision Dog, contact the MOS operators and ask them what's up.

and as for why the demand is so high, uh... they pay well out in the civilian world; it's like counter-intel.

commdog7
10-02-09, 02:36 AM
I just not sure if it's one of those mos's where you COULD do cool stuff, or one of those where we WILL be doing the cool sh!t.

Take radio operator for instance. You could be integrated with the grunts and hunt down the terrorists, or you could be calling in air support, or you could work with the communication equipment on the birds, but how much of that will you actually do? As a radio op, I did inventories, inventories, and more inventories. I never had the opporunity to do any cool and exciting. Even in Iraq, nothing but inventories. So that's what I'm trying to get at, will I actually be doing something cool or is there just the possibility. How many EOD Marines get to work on nuclear bombs? How many get to work on ejection seats? I want to know what most EOD Marines do, not the select 1%.

jstkiknit
10-02-09, 07:50 AM
heres the deal, im a Sgt/staff select and i have done roughly 200 IED's and disposed of (not training) and excess of 100 tons of ordnance, i have breeched, in combat and in training. i have been with force recon, and an MWSS. i have been on the presidents secret service detail, and living in cambodia in the jungle. i cant even begin to explain the spectrum. what you need to do is go to you local EOD shop and start asking some of their more experienced Techs directly. I promise they will be more then willing to lay it out for you. and if you are in Pendleton let me know and i will show you around. if not then let me know and i will tell you who you can speak to wherever you are, it is a very small comunity and most of us know eachother.

Petz
10-02-09, 10:07 AM
so you must not know she's on MSG right now in Ireland. CD you got about another 10 months and some change left right?

commdog7
10-02-09, 10:31 AM
heres the deal, im a Sgt/staff select and i have done roughly 200 IED's and disposed of (not training) and excess of 100 tons of ordnance, i have breeched, in combat and in training. i have been with force recon, and an MWSS. i have been on the presidents secret service detail, and living in cambodia in the jungle. i cant even begin to explain the spectrum. what you need to do is go to you local EOD shop and start asking some of their more experienced Techs directly. I promise they will be more then willing to lay it out for you. and if you are in Pendleton let me know and i will show you around. if not then let me know and i will tell you who you can speak to wherever you are, it is a very small comunity and most of us know eachother.

Wow, thanks for the help. Sounds like the motivated mos that I have been looking for. One other question if I might add, what's the school like?

commdog7
10-02-09, 10:39 AM
so you must not know she's on MSG right now in Ireland. CD you got about another 10 months and some change left right?

I got about a year left on the program, then I'm free!!! MSG has it's ups and downs, but I am eager to get back to the fleet. I'm tired of opening doors and answering phones, I wanna kill terrorists. :banana:

We get COLA and BAH out here (and hardship duty pay at my two previous posts), so I'm banking plenty of it. I hear they up'ed the pay from SDA-2 to SDA-5, althought they haven't implemented it yet.

Zulu 36
10-02-09, 12:33 PM
I got about a year left on the program, then I'm free!!! MSG has it's ups and downs, but I am eager to get back to the fleet. I'm tired of opening doors and answering phones, I wanna kill terrorists. :banana:

What Marine can not love a woman like Commdog? :flag:
Sparkie's kind of gal.

Plus you can obviously save money on not having to buy chocolate for her. :D

jstkiknit
10-26-09, 11:54 PM
didnt realize you are MSG. the best way i can describe the school is like putting a firehose that sprays knowledge down your throat, cranking it up and having 4 services kick you in the nuts while they quiz you on what you just learned. ha ha ok its not quite that bad. but its supposed to be one of the most challenging schools in the military. http://www.hqmc.usmc.mil/eod/ that is the USMC website where you can get a little more info. if i remember correctly (its been almost 4years) the navy has about a 42% fail rate, army 62% air force 36% USMC 9%. but things may have changed a little since i was there. every week you will have several tests, any of which, if you fail you will be in charlies in front of a 4 service board justifying your exsistence. you will learn a little more then a semester of nuclear physics in under a month (all testable) and when you get out you will find out that you dont know a damn thing. but all in all its a good school.

the key to getting through it is to remember why you came there and what you want to get out of it. if you fall into the partys and air force parties (its a navy school at an air force base), without self control, you will fail. pm me if you want some contact info. i can put you in touch with one of my Chief Warrant Officers that was prior MSG and he can give you all the direction you need.

That is another HUGE bonus to EOD is that we do NOT have standard run of the mill college baby officers, an EOD officer has done his time in EOD as an enlisted operator, moved up the ranks and become Warrant Officer, then in time a possible LDO. which means a butter bar will NOT be telling a 15 year Gunny how to do his job.

Marine84
10-27-09, 07:37 AM
Oohrah! Iyaoyas!!!!!!!!

Petz
10-27-09, 07:42 AM
didnt realize you are MSG. the best way i can describe the school is like putting a firehose that sprays knowledge down your throat, cranking it up and having 4 services kick you in the nuts while they quiz you on what you just learned. ha ha ok its not quite that bad. but its supposed to be one of the most challenging schools in the military. http://www.hqmc.usmc.mil/eod/ that is the USMC website where you can get a little more info. if i remember correctly (its been almost 4years) the navy has about a 42% fail rate, army 62% air force 36% USMC 9%. but things may have changed a little since i was there. every week you will have several tests, any of which, if you fail you will be in charlies in front of a 4 service board justifying your exsistence. you will learn a little more then a semester of nuclear physics in under a month (all testable) and when you get out you will find out that you dont know a damn thing. but all in all its a good school.

the key to getting through it is to remember why you came there and what you want to get out of it. if you fall into the partys and air force parties (its a navy school at an air force base), without self control, you will fail. pm me if you want some contact info. i can put you in touch with one of my Chief Warrant Officers that was prior MSG and he can give you all the direction you need.

That is another HUGE bonus to EOD is that we do NOT have standard run of the mill college baby officers, an EOD officer has done his time in EOD as an enlisted operator, moved up the ranks and become Warrant Officer, then in time a possible LDO. which means a butter bar will NOT be telling a 15 year Gunny how to do his job.

so you're talking about EOD????

Marine84
10-27-09, 09:20 AM
so you're talking about EOD????

Nothing gets past you, does it Einstein?