PDA

View Full Version : College grad looking for advice

hoov
09-26-09, 11:47 AM
Hello, I was hoping some of you could give me advice. I received my Comp. Engineering degree last December, and I've been doing the job hunting thing without much luck.

I know I can go the officer route now that I have my degree, but I'm a little conflicted. If I wanted to pursue the electronics aspect, would I be better off going enlisted or officer? As I understand it you can't really pick a specific job to go for, it's pretty much based on test scores, correct?

My overall question pretty much comes down to what would be the best route to take with a degree in electronics? Do any of you have personal experiences getting a degree and then enlisting afterward?

Thanks in advance. My girlfriend is a Marine, will be 2 years this winter. Major respect to all of you.

USCFIGHTONUSC
09-26-09, 12:51 PM
My overall question pretty much comes down to what would be the best route to take with a degree in electronics? Do any of you have personal experiences getting a degree and then enlisting afterward

Having a degree only means you are eligible to try to become an officer, it does not mean you should try to become one.

You first need to evaluate yourself and determine whether you are officer or enlisted material.

And the USMC is the last branch you want to join if you want to make your specific degree work for you in the manner you're looking for. This is not what the USMC is all about. The AF or NAVY and possibly the Army would be best for that.

hoov
09-26-09, 01:10 PM
Yeah joining the Marines is something I've always wanted to do. I guess I was more hoping that if I'd be able to pursue the electronics as well it would be icing on the cake.

I noticed some of the Signal Intelligence jobs and such, wanted to get an idea.

GSEMarine94
09-26-09, 01:15 PM
I agree and disagree with USCFIGHTONUSC,

It is very true that having a degree does not mean you should be an officer. I truly believe that my enlisted experience makes me a better officer. The best bet is to talk with an officer recruiter and find out for yourself if becoming a commissioned officer is right for you.

I do believe that your degree can be very valuable to the Marine Corps. on both the enlisted and officer sides of the house. Avionics on the enlisted side of the house is the first MOS that comes to mind. On the officer side of the house your degree will not be as important but can give you a step up in multiple fields such as, aviation, and communication.

Lisa 23
09-26-09, 01:38 PM
hoov, you might want to fill out the rest of your profile also so the Marines who are going to answer your questions know who they are talking to. :thumbup: