PDA

View Full Version : Remedial Promotion

TyrantUT
09-25-09, 07:49 PM
So now that the cutting scores have posted and my rifle score has still not been entered in MCTFS I have to go through a remedial promotion. How long does this process usually take?

TyrantUT
09-26-09, 02:05 AM
Has anyone gone through a remedial promotion? If so, what was the process and how long did it take?

sparkie
09-26-09, 08:02 AM
Wish I knew what it was. Remedial? Like you're being punished?

Just kidding, Since I haven't a clue.

Petz
09-26-09, 08:19 AM
so, the question is, did you finish the range before the 15th of the middle of the quarter? if you didn't then you don't rate the score until next quarter.

remedials take as long as your command wants it to take. I've always called GPAC and pretended I'm calling for one of my Marines.

TyrantUT
09-26-09, 07:53 PM
The range was completed before the 15th. I was under the impression that the 20th was the training cutoff.

nightstalker2
09-27-09, 12:25 AM
this is set up to correct a wrong that is why they have it. I was a corporal for 1year 6 months too long and when they review the scores at a different command this was corrected

Petz
09-27-09, 02:15 AM
well, yeah, the 20th is. But sometimes there is a date cut-off for training. If in fact it was supposed to be entered and it wasn't then you just need to ask your Co 1st Sgt if you have a case. I'd have the roster with your score (copy) in hand when you talk to the 1st Sgt, they're more willing to work for you knowing you've done leg work already. It shows initiative.

If he says you have a case he'll guide you on your Companies remedial process, which will probably start with your Plt Sgt. (yeah, don't forget to let him/her know you intend to talk to the 1st Sgt and don't forget to have the copy of the training roster for them as well)

ok, I rambled a lot, good luck to you. keep us informed.

TyrantUT
09-27-09, 03:38 PM
Plt Sgt... lol Thats me... It is funny how the Marine Corps works. In order to fix a problem the command started, you have to show initiative and work harder to show them you want it fixed. There is no accountability in the Marine Corps at all. They messed up, they should fix it. But then again that's a perfect world and we all know that's just a dream. Love the Corps, but hate the minor things like this. Oh well. Another 6 years here I come...

Petz
09-27-09, 10:11 PM
actually, it could be as simple as a PFC not entering your name at GPAC or S-1 or wherever data is entered. This stuff happens all the time. The great thing about a remedial is you will get your back pay as well, Don't freak out and don't blame people, it's a bad quality in a leader. Understand that other Marines have work to do as well, and are being multi-tasked. The Corps doesn't revolve around you killer.

basically, Don't sweat the small stuff, and everything is small.

Juicemang
09-27-09, 10:42 PM
I was a S-1 Marine and served as my squadron admin chief for a few months as well. Remedial promotions are no big deal as long as your S-1 Marines are staying on top of it. Then again, I was with the Wing my entire enlistment, so I'm not familiar with how admin does things on the ground side.

If you have any admin type questions though, I can always do my best to help anyone out.

S/F

TyrantUT
09-27-09, 11:01 PM
No one in the unit who shot that table 2 has scores in the system. According to their BTR the score is still 000 with the date of the table 1. By no means do I think the Corps revolves around me, but when there is an issue the odds are someone else has it too... So the resolution helps many.

Here is the back story on this...
I am switching from reserve to active. I will lose all of my time in grade dropping me to the bottom of the list for promotions. When I go active, I am moving to a different job in my occupational field and that MOS just does not promote. I have a pretty nice comp score, WELL above everyone else. The cutting score would have been 60pts higher had my rifle score been in the system. Only 1 will promote this quarter. Since it will go into a remedial promotion, both of us will. Which is actually kind of nice because the other guy is a good friend of mine...

So I am not really in a hurry, pay is back paid. Would be nice to go to my last Marine Corps ball with this unit as a Sgt, but its no biggie if I don't.

Petz
09-27-09, 11:14 PM
ah, you're on the reserve side. Interesting. Ok, so all you need to do it be on top of it with your admin chief and follow up on your EPAR.

TyrantUT
11-24-09, 01:39 AM
A few weeks ago (about the last week of October) I was told that the remedial package was sent to HQMC... This is a comp score recompute as well as a remedial promotion. Do both of these have to go to HQ to be completed? It has been this many weeks now and I have not heard anything. Is there reason to believe it was not sent or does it just take a while up top? Is there anyone that I can talk to or have someone call to get some information on this? I will be activating with another unit next month and really don't want to have to deal with this. I just cant imagine the headache of transferring this type of request to another unit while it is in process. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

leutenantpussy
11-24-09, 02:23 AM
I'm the pussy monster Raaaaawr!

MD8724
11-24-09, 10:26 AM
This female back at my old unit didn't have Leading Marines completed when she was supposed to pick up, and at this point is was required. So, the MSgt has her do it, calls up who the **** ever, and gets her promoted in a few days. So.....I don't know. I guess it just depends on who's dick you suck, so to speak. I don't know why it would take two months for you though, when it took two days for her.

TyrantUT
11-24-09, 11:36 AM
Hmm. I guess it all depends on the initiative of the higher ups or admin people. Mine along with a few others were lucky enough to have table 2 scores entered correctly, but many Marines in my section are still without their scores and we just passed the training cutoff.

Petz
11-24-09, 01:25 PM
well, I called the clerk personally for my promotion to Cpl and got it that day, if I had gone through the motions it would have taken months.

knew a kid trying to do it later on about a year later and the Sgt was going nuts trying to get admin to promote the kid, I walked to the nearest phone called the GPAC clerk and got him promoted in 3 min... they just had to get the warrent. The Sgt was so impressed he never talked to me again.. haha, made me feel good.

TyrantUT
11-24-09, 04:09 PM
If that is the case, then how do I go about getting a hold of GPAC? If this can be taken care of a few min then might as well give it a try. I am with a reserve unit at Miramar.

Petz
11-24-09, 06:05 PM
well that's just it, you can't. Reserves works different.

You guys have to have it go all the way up to MarForRes if I'm not mistaken, which acts as your GPAC.

TyrantUT
11-24-09, 06:17 PM
Then this process does take a while I'm guessing. Anything that has to go up that far seems to take forever.

Petz
11-26-09, 02:56 PM
yeah, it does take time. Keep me posted.

TyrantUT
12-15-09, 07:08 AM
So no developments on this at all. Seems like the admin section doesn't like to follow up as much as I do. The cutting scores just updated again the other day and as I expected I am number 1 on the list. If the promotion is open for January I will get it,but since I rate a promotion for October... What do I do? Part of this process was to submit a re-computation of composite score for October so they could do a remedial promotion. Now that January promotions are coming up, what do I do? I was told this was sent to HQMC in late October and no one has any information. At what point does it become possible for request mast?

Petz
12-15-09, 07:52 PM
you fight for the remedial because there is back pay involved and when your promotion for SSgt comes around these three months could make the difference of you being in the promotion zone or not.

devilbones
12-15-09, 08:50 PM
I had to get a remedial promotion when I was on active duty. It took about 3 weeks and I was promoted at the following month promotion ceremony and got back pay. I had my PLT Sgt and my former MSgt working with my S-1 to get it all squared away. It something that you need to keep nagging them about or else they wont do it.

TyrantUT
12-15-09, 09:03 PM
Exactly. My only competition is another Marine that was promoted October 1st. The last person to get promoted to Sgt was like 3 years ago and he is now in the IRR. By the time I am eligible for promotion there will be NO Sgts in the reserves in my MOS that will be even close. I got word today that HQMC denied my remedial promotion because they calculated my score as a 1720 which is below the cutting score. I had to call and get this information, which makes me wonder how long my S1 has known and not said anything... I have done this calculation several times based on the conversion charts in the enlisted promotions manual. They have calculated my TIG as 26 months, I was promoted 20061001, 36 Months... joined the Marine Corps 20040419, 65 Months (as of October)... Average Pro Con 4.6/4.5, PFT 265, RIfle 285 That's 4.8 and 4.2 Average 4.5 So 450 Pts. MCIs 100. So... (36*5)+(65*2)+450+460+450+100=1770...
So, I just filled out my request mast form and attached my education page, BIR, BTR, the PAR i submitted way back when for the recompute, and the 2 training rosters from the rifle scores. Would attach my darn contract if I had copies. HA. So any tips or Dos/ Donts? I am going to fax in all the paperwork tomorrow. I would not even consider this action if it wasn't for the process taking so long and January promotion coming up. I am the top of the list, and will get the promotion in January taking it away from someone else. I really don't want to see my admin section screw 2 people out of being promoted...

Petz
12-16-09, 10:33 PM
don't worry about that, they'll catch up the following quarter. You didn't seem to factor in your CFT. You add the x.x number of the PFT with the x.x number of the CFT multiply by a hundred and you's good.

TyrantUT
12-17-09, 03:48 AM
I didn't do a CFT until December so it would not have been included. It's all good though, apparently it is being brought up to some senior SNCOs tomorrow. Maybe they will just make that phone call instead of trying to send it back to HQMC.

TyrantUT
12-22-09, 03:17 PM
I have somewhat of an update...
Now that the cutting scores have been posted, I have been selected for promotion for January. My admin shop that has been dealing with the remedial gave me the number to HQMC enlisted promotions (This is available online on the Manpower site...) so I can go over my score with them. Now they are telling me the correct score which does put me above the cutting score for October. Now I just have to wait until they put it all in the system and I'm home free...

TyrantUT
12-29-09, 12:01 AM
Update:
After going over my score with HQMC, finding the error from the first compute and coming up with a score higher than the cutting score... a backdated promotion was put in the unit diary the next day. A process which took 3 months to go through ended up being solved by myself in a 15 min phone call. At least now I know things really work, and can go about solving it much faster for another Marine who might be in this situation.