PDA

View Full Version : Question about eyesight

Coffee24
09-25-09, 03:37 PM
Hi, something's been bugging me for a while now. After my eye exam at MEPS, I snuck a peak at the paperwork that the doctor gave me and it said my eyesight was 20/20 over 20/80. What does that mean? Could it disqualify me from certain jobs in the Marine Corps?

Thanks in advance Marines.

NoRemorse
09-25-09, 03:52 PM
Google it.

Or... why didn't you ask your recruiter or the doctor at MEPS?

Your vision can be bad but as long as it's correctible to within a certain range you're fine. If you go on About.com you'll find MOS listings and basic requirements.

You could also google what 20/20 vision is; it's average vision, it means that from the 20 foot line you can see something that most people can read from 20 feet away.

Lisa 23
09-25-09, 04:28 PM
It would be great for you to fill out the rest of your profile so the Marines here know who they are talking to, and read the rules in the Poolee and Ask A Marine forums. :thumbup:

Coffee24
09-25-09, 06:02 PM
It would be great for you to fill out the rest of your profile so the Marines here know who they are talking to, and read the rules in the Poolee and Ask A Marine forums. :thumbup:

Sorry about that, I'm just really paranoid about giving out my personal information on the internet. I thought that the information I left would be good enough.

Zulu 36
09-25-09, 06:38 PM
What 20/20 and 20/80 mean is one eye has "normal" visual acuity, and the other eye has some degree of near-sightedness. This may mean you need glasses, just to correct the one eye. This degree of near-sightedness is easily corrected to 20/20 with glasses or contacts.

20/80 means what you see at 20 feet, a person with "normal" visual acuity can see clearly at 80 feet.

If you are concerned that MEPS screwed up, go get your own eye exam. They don't cost that terribly much.

Of course you could wear a monocle like an old time Prussian officer. Ja? :D

Coffee24
09-25-09, 06:59 PM
What 20/20 and 20/80 mean is one eye has "normal" visual acuity, and the other eye has some degree of near-sightedness. This may mean you need glasses, just to correct the one eye. This degree of near-sightedness is easily corrected to 20/20 with glasses or contacts.

20/80 means what you see at 20 feet, a person with "normal" visual acuity can see clearly at 80 feet.

If you are concerned that MEPS screwed up, go get your own eye exam. They don't cost that terribly much.

Of course you could wear a monocle like an old time Prussian officer. Ja? :D

For some reason, I think that I would get a lot of crap for that. But jumping out of a plane while wearing one of those would really make me feel like a hero in a spy movie. Just add a tuxedo with a bow tie and I'd be pretty happy.

sparkie
09-25-09, 07:02 PM
Follow a joke with a joke,,,,,Not that.

Zulu 36
09-25-09, 07:06 PM
I don't know. I thought it was a nice comeback. :thumbup:

sparkie
09-25-09, 07:09 PM
Hokey,,,,,,,,,,

NoRemorse
09-25-09, 08:26 PM
If the kid's gonna go Prussian... then he better have a mean mustache.