PDA

View Full Version : American households watch tv for over eight hours a day on average

jetdawgg
09-25-09, 02:34 PM
http://media.economist.com/images/na/2009w34/TV.jpg

http://www.economist.com/daily/chartgallery/displayStory.cfm?story_id=14252309&source=features_box4

samthomas
09-25-09, 02:49 PM
I can't imagine watching that much television. My families average is probably around eight hours a week, though the kids don't watch any at this point.

BR34
09-25-09, 04:00 PM
Yep...I'm on duty and I'm watching t.v. AND I'm on the internet.

Supersquishy
09-25-09, 04:09 PM
Seems a little excesive, a person with a 9-5 job would have to watch 3 hours of tv in the morning before work, then 5 hours at night every day if they go to bed at the average time of 2200. Maybe they get most the hours in on the weekends.

In other words according to the statistic, Americans have no life other than working, then watching TV when their not working.

I could see that during the Winter months when daylight is at the minimum, and outdoor activities cease.

Dumb down the masses, so the Elite can steer the sheeple.

polizei
09-25-09, 04:38 PM
Hrmm, I see this as very possible. I suspect I used to watch quite a bit of TV before I joined the Corps. Now though, I hardly watch an hour or so a day. It's just not that entertaining anymore.

Drafter
09-25-09, 04:45 PM
OECD? Some kind of Global Ecomony Organisation,...... USA Bashing?
It even says its the average, I'd like to see how they come up with their numbers. You can compile statistics in order to get the results you want. Those numbers are skewed.

polizei, you might want to re-read your quote.

GSEMarine94
09-25-09, 05:18 PM
OECD? Some kind of Global Ecomony Organisation,...... USA Bashing?
It even says its the average, I'd like to see how they come up with their numbers. You can compile statistics in order to get the results you want. Those numbers are skewed.

polizei, you might want to re-read your quote.

I agree with it being skewed, add in the average of homes in the other countries that even own TV's would be a factor.

NoRemorse
09-25-09, 05:51 PM
Yep...I'm on duty and I'm watching t.v. AND I'm on the internet.

Showoff...

Kegler300
09-25-09, 06:08 PM
Too much television kills initiative and destroys relationships...

Skosh59
09-25-09, 07:16 PM
I may hit the avg. during football season but thats it. :D

There is not 8 hours of good programing on in 24 hrs.

Osotogary
09-25-09, 09:11 PM
American households watch tv for over eight hours a day on average

If I have the television on, in my household, (8) eight hours a day but only watch the television, accumulatively, for 45 minutes every day could it not be said that I watch television an average of 45 minutes a day even though my television is on eight (8) hours a day? I wonder if this survey just counts television hours ON and not television hours WATCHED. Just curious.

SlingerDun
09-25-09, 09:22 PM
Yep...I'm on duty and I'm watching t.v. AND I'm on the internet. whoa, dude you got skills:scared:

Wyoming
09-25-09, 10:21 PM
If I have the television on, in my household, (8) eight hours a day but only watch the television, accumulatively, for 45 minutes every day could it not be said that I watch television an average of 45 minutes a day even though my television is on eight (8) hours a day? I wonder if this survey just counts television hours ON and not television hours WATCHED. Just curious.

Exactly my comments.