PDA

View Full Version : Smoker going into boot.

JasonJ1234
09-25-09, 01:59 AM
Hello again Marines, just a quick question. I'm a smoker have been for two years and im going to MCRD Parris Island October 19th. Ive been doing pt at my recruiters station and ive been pushing through it to get ready only thing im worried about is my lungs. I was wondering if any of you smoked right up until boot camp and if it affected you or not.

CplGiraffe
09-25-09, 02:05 AM
I know some Marines now that smoked up until the wee hours of the night at MEPS and still had a high PFT. However, once they were three months in without smoking their run times increased dramatically. So, if you want to start off with a good impression and IST score, I would suggest quitting now. Also, that niccotine makes those first couple of weeks even harder!

Zulu 36
09-25-09, 06:04 AM
I smoked for a year before boot camp. I quit during boot camp (recruits were still allowed to smoke when given permission - supposedly at least after each meal, hahahahaha). Like an idiot I started up again as soon as I got to the airport on the way home for boot leave. But smoking wasn't frowned upon back then like now either.

I was a heavy smoker and I'm certain it affected my run times, although I was always a solid pass on the PFTs (23-min range). After I quit smoking (just before I got out) my run times did get better over time. But like the dummy I am, I started smoking again after being quit for 10-years. I've since quit again (now for 17-years).

Better to quit now and be over the worst of the nicotine withdrawal. The physical addiction is gone after 24-48 hours (believe it or not), but the psychological addiction can last for years. I was also a heavy drinker. I quit smoking, then alcohol. Now, I never feel a need for a drink, but occasionally I want a smoke - and that still after 17-years.

Good luck. It can be done, you've just got to be tough. Three months of smokeless boot camp will help.

sparkie
09-25-09, 07:01 AM
You're going to boot on my birthday. It'll give me something to smile about.

Quitting is just tough on most folks, however this is your grand opportunity. You will quit in boot. Try to remember to stay quit, and not be stupid like me.

echo3oscar1833
09-25-09, 07:57 AM
Its not so bad, I think really the first day or two is when you think about it, for me after that it wasn't an issue. I think its because your worried about more important things :D. Of course me being the shi$ brain that I am I started up after boot. I smoked up until 2007, until I quit for almost a whole year. Then I got divorced, and now I smoke again not because I need to, but because I don't give a crap:D. Ive been thinking about quiting. If you wanna a good remedy for quiting I'll give it to ya.

1. Two Bananas a day
2. Two Gallons of water a day
3: 2-4 cups a yogurt a day.

do that for about a week, and I guarantee it will flush anything bad out of your system in no time, plus it helps with withdraws.

Failuredrill
09-25-09, 09:08 AM
I smoked about a pack of Newports a day up until boot camp. It definitely hurt me even though I was still in decent condition, I ran about a 19:30 if I remember right but I was a hurting unit at first. After boot I was done with smoking and I picked up good ol' Copenhagen, haha. Hard not to dip as a grunt, that stuff is everywhere. It was love at first pinch, my lungs got relief and I was hooked the rest of my time in. By no means am I saying it is a safe alternative, thank god I was able to get off of it about 2 years after Active Duty. I know a lot of guys that lost teeth, gums, and worse of course. So, bottom line is you can do it but you will wish that you had at least weaned yourself off somewhat and you will be hurting, there is no way around that. Best case scenario is you somehow avoid doing either but I have to be honest, it's going to be a challenge.

Skosh59
09-25-09, 09:22 AM
When I went through PI ('59) smoking was considered cool, and just about everyone smoked at the time. However, once at PI the smoking lamp was out for about the first four weeks. I'll never forget the first time after that when the DI announced that we could fall out behind the barracks & have one cig. Everyone busted butt to get to their foot locker , get a cig & fall out bwhind the barracks. NO, NO, NO one cig then ment one for the whole platoon. By the time it got to me, I needed a roach clip to hold the butt. :cool: After that we all got one per day ususally after evening chow, provided that we performed up to expectations. We all could have quit then but like idiots just about everyone started up again. As far as I know now one failed because of smoking.

ameriken
09-25-09, 09:23 AM
Quit quit quit quit quit quit. Quit now because every day you wait to quit, the harder it gets to quit.

0331 2 0369
09-25-09, 09:30 AM
Smoking and dipping is a bad habit to have and hard to quit for most. Bootcamp will be somewhat rough at first but it will get better after your lungs start clearing up a bit. Use bootcamp as a great tool to quit. You will be tempted once you graduate and go home around all of your friends who will probably be smoking. That where we will see if you have enough disipline to not give in to peer presure.

NoRemorse
09-25-09, 10:04 AM
All recruits smell. Those who are in nicotine withdrawl and detoxing smell even worse.

You're going to have no wind once you're in withdrawl. Your lungs will hurt while you're detoxing. Another Marine posted about bananas and water. Yep and yep.

Enjoy.

JasonJ1234
09-25-09, 02:46 PM
haha, thanks Marines this was all extremely helpful and got a laugh or two out of it.

samthomas
09-25-09, 03:09 PM
I'm a smoker have been for two years and im going to MCRD Parris Island October 19th.

Quit now, no need to add the stress of withdrawal to your boot camp experience.

Zulu 36
09-25-09, 03:20 PM
Remember, quitting smoking is easy. I did it hundreds of times. It's the staying quit that is tough and requires self-discipline.

SlingerDun
09-25-09, 04:03 PM
only thing im worried about is my lungs...And you should be. But after only two years smoking your lungs will heal before your first enlistment is up if you quit when that pack you have on your desk runs out, tomorrow? If you wait about thirty years like i did, it will take up to ten years for lung tissue to rejuvinate and its a full time job to kick, oh and you'll get fat. And yes you will suck wind hard in boot or wherever when forced to perform beyond your usual comfort zone

--->Dave

sscjoe
09-25-09, 04:25 PM
I agree with trying to quit now, it will help your breathing. I smoked when I went to P.I. and to tell you the truth having a cigarette was the furthest thing from my mind. My time was just like Skosh's but by the time they lit the smoking lamp I had forgotten all about smoking. My adjustment was in the fleet, we kinda drank alot but I only smoked when I drank. You can draw your own conclusions from that!!!

JasonJ1234
09-25-09, 06:47 PM
Wait, whats the smoking lamp?

sparkie
09-25-09, 06:54 PM
Wait, whats the smoking lamp?

Long, long ago, aboard ship the smoking lamp was lit to signal permission from the Capt. and to lite your smoke from. In the 'New' Marines the smoking lamp exists. Tradition.

Skosh59
09-25-09, 07:10 PM
Remember, quitting smoking is easy. I did it hundreds of times. It's the staying quit that is tough and requires self-discipline.

You got that right, Zulu. I started when I was a young teen and finally quit (cold turkey) about 14 years ago, been clean since. :beer: