PDA

View Full Version : Headed to Hawaii

dizark
09-23-09, 10:01 PM
Well, I leave Ohio at 0930 tomorrow (Thursday), and will arrive in LAX around 1330. Then I am to report to the airline desk for my port call around 1630 and will leave there at like 1830. I'm expected to arrive in Hawaii around 2120. I'm really nervous about it, but also sad that I am leaving my family behind yet again, especially my beautiful newborn daughter. I know one day once we sell our home, they'll be with me and all. It never gets easier, does it?

Anyways, wish me luck as a new Fleet Marine. No more student status for this LCpl. :P

Semper Fi Marines

TRosa06
09-23-09, 10:07 PM
Congrats. I leave the stumps next Friday and am heading for Lejeune. Where you from in Ohio, I'm from there as well.

echo3oscar1833
09-23-09, 10:14 PM
Good Luck Marines, Get Some!!!!:beer:

Quinbo
09-23-09, 10:17 PM
I know I'm gonna totally jack up the spelling.
Yea take one trip down to waikiki and check it out. Wear a collared shirt and a belt. Believe it or not the must see clubs down there have a dress code. That's it ... that's all you need is one trip. There is a libbo bus that runs back and forth from k-bay to waikiki.

After that get yourself a kama aina card (forgive the spelling). The card will get you discounts on most of the touristy stuff like sea life park and luaus. There is more stuff to do than time to do it there. I hope you have a great time.

JoeInVille
09-24-09, 12:28 PM
Lolll Achped should meet you at the airport.

Supersquishy
09-24-09, 12:36 PM
Lolll Achped should meet you at the airport.

Oh yeah! Achped has a new ride too, Im sure hell love to pick you up!.

Good luck Dizark! hope you sell your house soon. :thumbup:

charm1110
09-24-09, 01:17 PM
Congrats. Dizark, Just stay away from Waikiki at night and all will be fine! go in the early morning on a day off and enjoy the beach for a few mins. by yourself before the crowds get there. Get to work on your housing arrangements quickly. I don't know much about base housing but the rents here are pretty high in most areas it will pay to shop around if you have to live off- base.Good luck Brother!

Semper Fi...:flag:

ameriken
09-24-09, 01:40 PM
Lotsa luck and I hope the family is not too far behind! Semper Fi

Rocky C
09-24-09, 03:34 PM
Good Luck Dizark!!!
Everything will work out fine my Brother.
Semper Fi,
Rocky

Gunner 0313
09-24-09, 03:56 PM
:flag:Have fun Diz ! Everything will workout, it usually does. Enjoy it bro !

Troutzilla
09-24-09, 05:22 PM
Aloha.....

thewookie
09-24-09, 06:42 PM
1. Don't mess with the locals, they will thump you -- quick, and hard.

2. Get out and see the Island, don't get suckered into wasting every 96 getting wasted. Find a buddy that likes to be active and do something you'll remember. Take up scuba diving, mountain biking, and/ or hiking - there's sooo much to do there.

3. Aloha Friday will always have a special meaning in your heart.

When I heard my name called and they said, Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii -- I was pumped, as you should be! :usmc:

dizark
09-25-09, 09:50 PM
Trosa I don't live in Cleveland but was there visiting my parents.

How often does Aloha Friday take place. Today is aloha Friday.

Quinbo
09-25-09, 10:03 PM
Usually happens on Fridays diz. Just messing.
Training schedule permitting you have a short work day on Fridays and are on libbo by noon. My experience was we did some moto battalion run or 10 mile hump then field day inspection and libbo. It doesn't happen often enough but that is the gist of it.

thewookie
09-25-09, 10:14 PM
Aloha Friday is like Bulkyker said, and you'll wish it happened more, but when it does - it's a good start to the weekend. :marine:

charm1110
09-25-09, 10:55 PM

2. Get out and see the Island, don't get suckered into wasting every 96 getting wasted. Find a buddy that likes to be active and do something you'll remember. Take up scuba diving, mountain biking, and/ or hiking - there's sooo much to do there.

When I heard my name called and they said, Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii -- I was pumped, as you should be! :usmc:

Great advice here! especially if you enjoy the water, lots to do in the ocean. I haven't gone scuba since '87 on 'Oki but here at home I go out free diving usually 30-60 ft. water, it's a lot cheaper all you need is a mask, snorkel, fins and a partner.

echo3oscar1833
09-25-09, 11:08 PM
Great advice here! especially if you enjoy the water, lots to do in the ocean. I haven't gone scuba since '87 on 'Oki but here at home I go out free diving usually 30-60 ft. water, it's a lot cheaper all you need is a mask, snorkel, fins and a partner.

Hell yeah, used to do that all the time down at Lejuene in 02-03, and when I lived on the Gulf in Florida last year. Thats fun shi$, I miss the ocean, ahhhh the memories. Semper Fi

LarryStarr
09-26-09, 12:21 AM

Sound advice, all the way around!

Did you run into that same, large Samoan, in Davy Jones Locker ?
Took the Corpsman over an hour to stitch up my scalp! :bunny:

Petz
09-26-09, 12:54 AM
6'5" 400lbs... yeah, don't mess with them.

anyways, take up scuba diving, it's 200 bucks for you guys. look for the red flyers floating around in the company offices. it's a MWR thing.

then you can get a spear gun and with your scuba gear you'll eventually buy you can go spear a good fish and cook it on the beach... good trash right there.

SgtLisdog58
09-26-09, 02:53 AM
Aloha Friday is like Bulkyker said, and you'll wish it happened more, but when it does - it's a good start to the weekend. :marine:

HAHA Indeed Wookie, I've been off that rock and in the civvie world for 9 years and been searchin for the Aloha friday ever since...hasn't happened but I keep tellin my boss that we need to implement it!

Diz - remember this: Hawaii is what you make of it. I spent my entire enlistment there, it was fun but repetitious. Do things while you're there; surfing, SCUBA, sky diving, golfing (yes they have wonderful golfing there, excellent course on K-bay), and most importantly - site seeing. Also with the locals, remember this advice respect them and they'll respect you! Curb the Marine attitude with them and they'll be your best friend, mess with em (as someone else stated) and they'll thump you in a heartbeat. I'm not saying to change who you are...just curb the "I'm tougher than you and you're not sh!t attitude" and you'll do fine. If your command allows it, go see the other islands. There is lots to see and do.

Oh, December 7 every year there is a very special ceremony at Pearl Harbor, I highly recommend going to see it....life changing event right there!

MOST IMPORTANTLY (this goes for anyone going there) Watch very very closely for the booze cruise scams! They do have a booze cruises but there are people there that will take advantage of you being new to the island and scam you for your money!

egbutler1
09-26-09, 03:07 AM
Well, I leave Ohio at 0930 tomorrow (Thursday), and will arrive in LAX around 1330. Then I am to report to the airline desk for my port call around 1630 and will leave there at like 1830. I'm expected to arrive in Hawaii around 2120. I'm really nervous about it, but also sad that I am leaving my family behind yet again, especially my beautiful newborn daughter. I know one day once we sell our home, they'll be with me and all. It never gets easier, does it?

Anyways, wish me luck as a new Fleet Marine. No more student status for this LCpl. :P

Semper Fi Marines

More OPSEC

Petz
09-26-09, 07:45 AM
a booze cruise, going out on a boat with "open" bar and a meal.

how you get taken advantage of I don't know. but make sure you pay just when you go, not before.

if they say you need to pay now to reserve the spot, tell them you'll check back later.

thewookie
09-26-09, 09:36 AM
Sound advice, all the way around!

Did you run into that same, large Samoan, in Davy Jones Locker ?
Took the Corpsman over an hour to stitch up my scalp! :bunny:

I think Large is where they start with those Samoans.

Then it's like XL, XXL, XXXL, XXXXL, and then wholly sh*t Xtra-Large!

But they can be some cool MF'ers, too, you just gotta keep it real, bra!;)

LarryStarr
09-27-09, 11:00 AM
I think Large is where they start with those Samoans.

Then it's like XL, XXL, XXXL, XXXXL, and then wholly sh*t Xtra-Large!

But they can be some cool MF'ers, too, you just gotta keep it real, bra!;)
You are correct, on all counts:
A small Samoan is huge, and they go up from there.
I found them to be, in general, some of the most trustworthy people I've ever met. They don't make a lot of pretense, you know where they stand, immediately, on any subject :evilgrin:
Heck the "Davey Jones Locker" incident was the result of a Civilian friend with too much beer, looking for trouble, I just got caught in the side-effects. I gotta say, though, that wen you hit a guy with all you have, and he, not only, does not move, but looks at you like "What the F@*K did you do that for?", it's a bit demoralizing:bunny:
If it were not for the aid of a few other Samoans I'm not sure we'd have escaped with our hides!

Semper Fi