PDA

View Full Version : Marines Qualify with German Weapons

thedrifter
08-11-03, 04:20 PM
Marines Qualify with German Weapons
Submitted by: Marine Forces Europe
Story Identification Number: 20038645019
Story by Sgt. Michael Hjelmstad

GARMISH, Germany(August 8, 2003) -- The hills were alive with the sound of heavy machinegun fire as Marines from Marine Forces Europe participated in a German basic qualification course that included safe handling and accurate firing of the G-36 assault rifle and the MG-3 weapon system.

The Marines received instruction on familiarization and safe handling of the weapons from German soldiers. The newly acquired knowledge was quickly put to use in the serene mountain setting at Mittenwald range.

The day of shooting gave opportunity to fulfill the requirements for the German marksmanship award where shooters could earn a bronze, silver or gold award that German soldiers wear on their uniforms called a schutzenshur.

"Some Americans have qualified like this before, but I think this is the first time for U.S. Marines," said Sgt. Jeremiah Randle who was instrumental in coordinating the Marine Corps participation.

"It was a great day of qualification with the G-36," said German LT. Robert Ruchfel, Range Officer. "The MG-3 is a difficult weapon."

"The Machinegun was harder to control then I expected, but it was fun," said LCpl. Anthony Jeuck. "What I liked best of these weapons was the sights on the G-36, having two different sights is better. It is very accurate."

Opinions of the G-36's dual sight system differed and some Marines prefer the M-16. "I didn't like the red light in the scope," said Cpl. Jason Kraus. "The MG-3 was lighter than the M-16 and I liked the folding stock."

"It feels lighter, like a toy, over all I like the M-16 better," said Jeuck. "I'd really like to see a sight like that on the M-16."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2003865307/$file/krausmtnLR.jpg

Cpl. Jason Kraus spends some time becomming familiar with the MG-3 assault rifle before going through German qualification course.
Photo by: Sgt. Michael Hjelmstad

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20038662520/$file/barrelLR.jpg

LCpl. Anthony Jeuck reviews the operation of the MG-3 weapons system before he moves to the live fire line.
Photo by: Sgt. Michael Hjelmstad

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

greensideout
08-11-03, 09:49 PM
Well, training has certainly become more formal. In Nam, I was handed a Swedish K and a .45 cal grease gun to fire and told, "Tell us what you think about using these". (LOL, Those were the days.)

It's nice that the Marines got to fire the German weapons, they are good ones but the way I see it is that the Marines can do very well with anything that goes boom.