PDA

View Full Version : Great Letter From Soldier in Iraq Re: Death of Uday & Qusay

thedrifter
08-11-03, 02:02 PM
Great Letter From Soldier in Iraq Re: Death of Uday & Qusay
LETTER FROM IRAQ:

A GREAT letter from a soldier who witnessed the Iraqi response to the deaths of Uday and Qusay:

"You may read many things about the recent deaths of Salaam's two sons here in Iraq. Let me tell you, as an eye witness, what occurred here in Baghdad.

About 2130 hours (9:30 p.m. for you civilians) last night, about six of us were huddled around a DVD player watching a movie. Sustained, small arms gun fire was heard outside. We all put on our flak vests and helmets, grabbed our weapons, and headed outside. What we saw was amazing.

The entire down town Baghdad area skies was full of red and yellow tracer gun fire. It looked like the 4th of July celebration we had all missed a few weeks ago.

The use of weapons in this manner, for the Iraqis, is an expression of celebration.

The level of this celebration was obviously intense for they had just heard the news that the two sons were dead and their reign of terror was over, for good. The celebration lasted well into the night.
As mayor of this installation near the Baghdad International Airport, I employ about 18 local nationals to work on our electricity, plumbing and to do manual labor. This morning, they were obviously tired from no sleep, but very happy, they had been celebrating all night. They offered their supervisors extra locally made bread and several kinds of fruit, their way of saying thank you from them and their families.

In one short day, the atmosphere and attitude of those locals around us has changed, for the positive.

For those of you or your colleagues who still question why we are here, they should have the opportunity, like I have, to look into the eyes of a people who were truly repressed and now sense that their liberation is really at hand.

In the last war, the U.S. let them down by not ousting the dictator. In this war, they did not trust us because their tormenters were still at large and they were not sure that the military would close the deal. Yesterday, the military proved that this liberation is for real."

If you are asked why we are still here, yesterday's action is the reason. We are still here because the mission that we started is not over, but it will be soon. If you think our presence here is not warranted, you have the misfortune of not being able to see the faces of a liberated people. I have complained about our presence here, I am going to stop doing that now because last night gave me renewed hope that our actions are having a tangible affect on the lives the Iraqi people. I am not naive enough to believe that the violence is over and that the resistance is dead. Instead, every American fighting in this country has seen with their own eyes the fruits of their sacrifice. And for that, I am proud to be here.

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: