View Full Version : Salute to veterans

thedrifter
09-21-09, 08:39 AM
Salute to veterans
Comments 2 | Recommend 0
Retiree honored for work with military community
September 19, 2009 3:31 PM
SUZANNE ULBRICH

Military retirees from all branches of the service came together to be honored aboard Camp Lejeune Saturday.

Among the nearly 200 retirees at Marston Pavilion for Retiree Appreciation Day was one special veteran who was chosen to receive the 2009 Charles “Whitey” Welbourne Award, for his “continuous contributions to the military community.”

Retired Master Sgt. John J. Cooney was nominated by retired Col. Paul W. O’Toole as the recipient of the award because “he has shown himself to be the embodiment of the principals for which GySgt. Welbourne dedicated his life,” said O’Toole.

The “Whitey” Welbourne Award, presented annually at the Military Retiree Appreciation Day, is given in memory of retired Gunnery Sgt. C.C. “Whitey” Welbourne who worked to help active duty personnel, retirees, family members, widows, survivors and veterans on a daily basis while able.

“(Cooney) is at almost all veteran functions, as well as the active duty community. He is not one that appears for the sake of ‘face time,’ but consistently does what he can to assist veterans, retirees, active duty and their families,” wrote O’Toole in the nomination form.

Cooney’s military community contributions include being adjutant of the local Beirut Memorial Chapter of the Military Order of the Purple Heart since 2004 as well as the chief of staff for the N.C. Dept. of MOPH for the last three years. He was the transportation coordinator of the Disabled American Veterans from 2005 to 2007 and, since his retirement from the U.S. Post Office in 2003, he has been very active within the Wounded Warrior Barracks aboard Camp Lejeune.

“John Cooney turns away no veteran or family member. He assists himself or advises the best point of contact to assist the military member in need,” O’Toole summarized regarding Coony’s selection.

Cooney said he was “honored and humbled,” when Master Sgt. George M. Barrows, Sr. presented him with the award.

“I don’t feel I deserve it, there are many others out there who are more deserving I think, but I thank you anyway,” he told to the audience.

Cooney served 23 years in the Marine Corps before retiring in 1982. In describing his many affiliations and activities since retirement, Cooney merely said, “I keep busy.”

Retiree Appreciation Day, which is open to all military retirees including families and widows of military retirees, has been an annual event for 13 years, to recognize the contributions made by retirees.

It also provides information on support services and provides information on health as well as giving the veterans easy access to certain health screenings.

Carol Jennings, USMC, retired, and his wife Janet traveled the farthest to attend the event. Jennings said he was stationed at Camp Lejeune on two different occasions during the 20 years he served in the Marine Corps, but moved to Bristol, Tenn. upon retirement.

“This is the first time I’ve been back here since the 60’s when I was stationed here,” Carol Jennings said. “I saw it in the computer that they were having this this weekend, and I have been wanting to come back here. It’s sure changed a lot in 40 years.”

The oldest in attendance was 89-year-old Gunnery Sgt. Walter Stull, Jr., retired, of Jacksonville, who served 21 years in the Marine Corps beginning in 1938.

Stull, who has attended the event for several years, said he took advantage of the blood pressure check station.

“It saves you a trip to have it checked, and they provide information to help retirees live longer,” he said.

Contact Suzanne Ulbrich at 910-219-8454 or sulbrich@freedomenc.com.

Ellie