PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps League members comfort family of fallen Marine

thedrifter
09-21-09, 08:38 AM
Marine Corps League members comfort family of fallen Marine
Comments 1 | Recommend 1
September 18, 2009 5:53 PM
EMILY KILLIAN

SHELBY — Danny Harrill took a deep breath and paused before he started talking about his feelings about the death of a 20-year-old Cherokee County, S.C. Marine.

Lance Cpl. Christopher S. Fowlkes died Sept. 10 at a military hospital in Germany after injuries from an explosion in Afghanistan.

“It’s really hard to describe how I feel. I have the utmost respect for him,” said Harrill, a fellow Marine, Vietnam veteran and commandant of the Marine Corps League of Shelby. “There’s nothing that I can do other than to give him respect.

“It’s really difficult being a man who is not even 21 years old who has already given much more than some people give in a lifetime.”

Harrill and other area Marine Corps League members were with the young man’s family the day his body was brought back to Gaffney.

“Yesterday (Wednesday), when they brought the body in, we were there to support the family and to be there,” he said. “What I got was that everyone was trying to be supportive.”

Memorial services will be held Friday and Marine Corps Leagues are honorary pallbearers.

“It goes to show you that Marines take care of Marines. That’s what being a Marine is all about. Me being a Vietnam vet, it’s very emotional. It’s very heartwrenching”.

Fowlkes was assigned to 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Lejeune.

“He was a Marine. He wanted to be a Marine. He was just a young man starting his life as an adult. He was like any other 20-year-old,” said Harrill.

He said supporting the family comes down to faithfulness.

“The Marine Corps motto is Semper Fi, which is Latin for always faithful,” said Harrill. “I am being faithful not only to God, but to my corps, my country and this young man.”

He asked that others in the community do the same.

“It’s just paying respect to a brother Marine who has given the ultimate sacrifice for our country,” Harrill said. “It’s something that he deserves, and his family deserves all the respect and condolences that we as a nation can provide to them.

“It’s very important that we don’t forget the people who defend our freedom,” he said. “Just give these people the respect that they deserve. And thanks. If you see a young soldier in uniform, shake his or her hand and tell them thank you for what you do and serving your country.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report

Ellie