PDA

View Full Version : Open Contract

fieldsjoe89
09-20-09, 10:15 PM
I have posted several different threads lately, and I may have over looked it while searching through the search engine, but can anyone tell me much about open contract. My recruiter just told me I didn't get the job I was signed for and I am set to talk to him tomorrow about other options. But I was wanting another opinion on going Open Contract.
If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks You in advance.

USCFIGHTONUSC
09-20-09, 11:22 PM
Open contract means you allow the USMC to chose your job for you based on your ASVAB scores. Many recruiters love to say you "most likely" will get infantry, so they urge this contract onto those who want infantry and can not get it for whatever reason. This doesn't always end up true. Don't fall for that.

If your desired job is not available now, then wait for it to open and don't be pressured into picking a job just so you ship out. Patience will get you your desired job.

I don't recommend an open contract unless that is the only way you can enlist. Choose your own job.

srinaldo86
09-21-09, 12:53 AM
If you go open contract you're an idiot.
Whatever MOS you want will most likely open up again after this Fiscal Year (this fiscal year ends around Oct. 6th, like last year.)
Wait for your MOS, its your life.

fieldsjoe89
09-21-09, 05:21 AM
The reason I was wondering is, I Leave OCT,2 and I just found out that I didn't get my job for some reason. One other guy who is in our group didn't get the same job, and the only thing open is Admin and Food.
Bu thank you both for the information.

animal mother
09-21-09, 05:35 AM
It's not a smart decison to pick open contract......you might get a wicked good job...or you may get the crappiest job in the Marine Corps.

Your about to sign the next 4+ years of your life away....you might as well pick something that YOU want to do. I was in a similar situation as you. I picked a job my recruiter pressured me into so I could leave for bootcamp earlier....and I regret that decision every day of my life.

A lot of people I know that picked open contract got stuck in motor-t....but it all depends

Melancon
09-21-09, 07:56 AM
The reason I was wondering is, I Leave OCT,2 and I just found out that I didn't get my job for some reason. One other guy who is in our group didn't get the same job, and the only thing open is Admin and Food.
Just tell them you will wait til to leave until you get the job you want. You know you dont HAVE to leave on that date. If your scores are good and you qualify for the job you want, then I wouldnt advise you to sign that open contract. You might get stuck somewhere you really hate, and for the next 4 years of your life.

samthomas
09-21-09, 11:45 AM
the only thing open is Admin and Food.

Take admin over the open contract, there is no telling what you could end up doing.

slimmy07
09-21-09, 12:41 PM
I completed recruiting duty in 2007. I put in a number of applicants who are now Marines on open contract. Basically what happens when a recruit does not make it through boot camp, his/her MOS does NOT go back to the recruiters on the streets to fill again. It stays at MCRD with a Marine Corps liaison. That Marine then turns around and finds a qualified open contract at MCRD to fill those MOS's. keep in mind that its based on your ASVAB score. Hopefully you have good line scores if you go open contract. The one BIG benefit to open contract is you can lat move after 2 years, so if you don't like the MOS it is possible to lat move pretty quickly. I would ask to talk to your station NCOIC and have him/her answer the specifics about open contract.

USCFIGHTONUSC
09-21-09, 01:32 PM

You may think you have to leave on that date and you may be pressured and even threatened to do so, but while in the DEP you have two basic rights. 1) To back out of it with no penalty, and 2) to re-negotiate your contract. You do not have to ship out with a contract you do not want.

If for whatever reason you have to ship out on your ship date, then choose one of those MOS's being offered to you.

Supersquishy
09-21-09, 01:38 PM
Anyone who goes open contract has almost bigger balls than I.

slimmy07
09-21-09, 02:03 PM
You may think you have to leave on that date and you may be pressured and even threatened to do so, but while in the DEP you have two basic rights. 1) To back out of it with no penalty, and 2) to re-negotiate your contract. You do not have to ship out with a contract you do not want.

If for whatever reason you have to ship out on your ship date, then choose one of those MOS's being offered to you.

Ok, your right about #1. Your wrong about #2. Sometimes because of an applicants past, it is best for that applicant to go open contract or it isn't possible to "re-negotiate" a contract. Sometimes applicants get in on certain waivers that they are not eligible for all the MOS's. Unless you were on recruiting duty, you wouldn't understand and its too much to go into detail. We don't know this applicants past, line scores, if any waivers were submitted and approved etc. etc.
The best advice I can give you kid is to talk to your station NCOIC.

fieldsjoe89
09-21-09, 08:50 PM
Thank you all for your help.
I just found out today I don't leave until Nov 2, so it gives me a little more time to decided. My score on the asvab was 68 and my line scores went from 99 to 111, highest being clerical. Don't know why either I hate that sort of thing.

Mac3043
09-23-09, 10:50 PM
I went to Parris Island with an open contract. Due to stupit personnal choices I quit high school, I was on delayed entry. (Just say no to drugs) Just before graduation from boot camp, being a highly motivated recruit awaiting for my senior drill instructor to announce my orders, I was depressed to hear I was ordered to MCSC Albany for MOS 3051 OJT. I fully expected to be a ground pounder. I guess my ASVAB dictated a desk job. Lucky me? With an open contract you are at the mercy of HQMC for what ever is needed. You can hope for the best. Later I always indicated "As Ordered" as duty station preference on my fitness reports. I do believe HQMC has the correct idea. Good luck to you. Do us proud.

thewookie
09-23-09, 11:05 PM
If you go open contract you're an idiot.
Whatever MOS you want will most likely open up again after this Fiscal Year (this fiscal year ends around Oct. 6th, like last year.)
Wait for your MOS, its your life.

Man, it's been a while since I was called an idiot by a PFC.

TJR1070
09-24-09, 08:20 AM
Hey Wookie I'm with you. I went open contract and I am sure I am not a fckng idiot. It basically comes down to what your priorities are. My priority was getting out of home and getting to boot camp so when I was offered an earlier ship date with an open contract I took it. For me it worked out, I got a job I loved (NBC). However I really wouldn't have cared at the time if I got grunt, Motor-T, artillery or whatever the Marine Corps needed I just wanted to go.

thewookie
09-24-09, 08:55 AM
Hey Wookie I'm with you. I went open contract and I am sure I am not a fckng idiot. It basically comes down to what your priorities are. My priority was getting out of home and getting to boot camp so when I was offered an earlier ship date with an open contract I took it. For me it worked out, I got a job I loved (NBC). However I really wouldn't have cared at the time if I got grunt, Motor-T, artillery or whatever the Marine Corps needed I just wanted to go.

Yeah, bro - it's most definitely not where you start, that is for sure. Or it wasn't for me. But I understand what he's getting at, though. I'm just trying to keep it real.;)

GSEMarine94
09-24-09, 09:55 AM
Man, it's been a while since I was called an idiot by a PFC.

Right there with you Wook, I guess some of us just wanted to be Marines and didn't care what that entailed.