PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Potential Grunt
09-20-09, 02:20 PM
I'm David, 21, and thinking seriously about a career in the USMC.

It's a dream. Great to have a dream, so long as you balance that against the reality of what is likely to lie ahead.

So I'm looking to gather information before I commit. That seems the wise thiing to do. I was also thinking of the army or air force, but they're not my first choice!

I plan on speaking to a recruiter soon.

Hope to speak to you all again!

Question: I have long shaggy hair. Do I need it seriously cut before speaking to a recruiter? I think it's an important thing to create a good impression.

David.

Supersquishy
09-20-09, 02:35 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59447

Potential Grunt
09-20-09, 02:46 PM
Just sayin' hello in a friendly spirit. I've a lot to learn, I know.

Phantom Blooper
09-20-09, 03:54 PM
Potential Grunt.....

You don't need to get a haircut...you are still a civilian.....but you should brush the shaggy out of it and be clean.

With that answered you should now fill out your profile before asking more questions!:evilgrin:

Potential Grunt
09-20-09, 04:13 PM
Received and understood!

SGT7477
09-20-09, 04:20 PM
I'm David, 21, and thinking seriously about a career in the USMC.

It's a dream. Great to have a dream, so long as you balance that against the reality of what is likely to lie ahead.

So I'm looking to gather information before I commit. That seems the wise thiing to do. I was also thinking of the army or air force, but they're not my first choice!

I plan on speaking to a recruiter soon.

Hope to speak to you all again!

Question: I have long shaggy hair. Do I need it seriously cut before speaking to a recruiter? I think it's an important thing to create a good impression.

David.Maybe just get a high and tight and Get Some.:D

Potential Grunt
09-20-09, 04:28 PM
OK! :D:bunny::marine:

Rocky C
09-20-09, 04:45 PM
Get Some!!!

Potential Grunt
09-20-09, 04:51 PM
Since I first became seriously interested in this career, the thing that people have made most clear to me is to be realistic. I need to evaluate my own strength and measure that against the very real demands of the life. I believe I'm a strong person - but even the strongest can be called into question on this road. But I'm still going for it.

My family don't like the idea, but I'm my own person.

sparkie
09-20-09, 07:38 PM
Since you're so undecided,,,,, Grab some KY, and join the Chair Force. You 'want the Marines', but are you a born one?

slimmy07
09-21-09, 02:06 PM
No, you don't have to get a haircut. You do have to look presentable when you go to MEPS. That means combing your hair, etc. etc.

0331 2 0369
09-21-09, 02:14 PM
As mentioned, just make it look presentable. If you are granted the right to have a shot at becoming a Marine, they will fix it for you at MCRD.

Why do you want to be a Marine? a grunt? And don't give the "it's a dream" or "I want to serve my country" responses. You sound more intellectual than that. So far.

BR34
09-21-09, 02:42 PM
You should have got that shaggy hair cut before you started working for McDonalds! I wonder how many people have ate your hair...

Potential Grunt
09-22-09, 07:31 AM
Thanks all.

I don't think it's a question of being undecided. More a case of balancing my options carefully. Gut enthusiasm is one thing - and am important thing. But it's not the only thing to consider. Being a grunt has been a childhood dream of mine -that has never gone away. I can't ignore feelings like that

Anyway, I'm speaking to a recruiter real soon. I've found a lot of interesting input on this site, for which I'm grateful. I'm thick-skinned too, so don't mind a bit of roughness. I will have to suffer far worse if I make itinto the Marines!

slimmy07
09-24-09, 11:59 AM
Look kid, I completed recruiting duty in 2007 and myself along with the recruiters I worked with could care less about your hair or clothes. What it comes down to in order to join is are you qualified? Not your hair, clothes, or if you look presentable. Are you qualified is all that matters.

USCFIGHTONUSC
09-24-09, 02:04 PM
I'm David, 21, and thinking seriously about a career in the USMC
David.

You do not need to cut any hair or dress in any certain way to visit with a recruiter. This is not a job interview in the sense that you are selling yourself to the USMC.