View Full Version : Cutting Down the Time: Marine Squares Squadron Away

thedrifter
09-20-09, 09:14 AM
Cutting Down the Time: Marine Squares Squadron Away
Marine Aircraft Group 40
Story by Lance Cpl. Samuel Nasso
Date: 09.19.2009
Posted: 09.19.2009 07:18

CAMP LEATHERNECK, Afghanistan – Combat barber is not an actual military occupation, but it is a passion for one Marine with Marine Wing Communication Squadron 28, Marine Aircraft Group 40, Marine Expeditionary Brigade-Afghanistan.

Cpl. Joseluis Arellano, a multi-channel equipment operator, has been keeping Marines throughout MAG-40 within regulations with his hair-cutting skills.

Far from his home in Scottsbluff, Neb., the 22-year-old arrived here April 10 and shortly thereafter began cutting hair for almost every Marine in the squadron.

"I think I give everyone in this unit their haircuts," he said. "It doesn't matter who or when, from private first class to first sergeants, master gunnery sergeants or lieutenant colonels, I do it."

Arellano started cutting hair when he joined the Corps to help fellow Marines maintain the strict Marine Corps grooming standards.

"I like to think that what I do helps the Marines maintain higher standards. A Marine can be recognized immediately by his haircut," said Arellano. "Everyone knows that if you see a Marine with hair all over the place or a Marine has a distinct line on the side of their head, that they need to be fixed."

Because of his leadership position, Arellano ensures Marines are within regulations, even if he has to cut their hair himself.

"He got me through numerous inspections back in the rear by giving me haircuts on late Sunday nights," said Cpl. Michael Corban, a multi-channel equipment operator with MWCS-28.

Haircuts and grooming standards are not the only means by which Arellano sets the example for. He ensures his Marines receive mentoring and training in any facet they bring to his attention.

"Whether it's physical training, education, family problems, or any problem at all, I want to provide that Marine with what they need," said Arellano, who also scores a perfect 300 on his physical fitness test.

Between his job of setting up multi-channel communications and leading Marines, Arellano did run into an obstacle with his field barbershop, called "The Fade Away."

He was told he could not cut hair outside due to sanitary concerns, but this did not stop Arellano.

To meet this requirement, Arrelano spent eight hours building a barbershop and had it inspected and approved by medical staff.

"When he finished it, it was a good morale booster," said Corban. "It turned out well and now it stands as an identifying project that represents our unit well."

The Fade Away, a name derived from Marine Corps Order P1020.34F, which requires male Marines to have hair faded from zero to three inches long with no visible line, is equipped with lighting, power, a chair, mirror and an artistic sign made by Arellano.

"Cpl. Arellano really took a lot of iniative building that barbershop," said Staff Sgt. Christopher Sandusky, the multi-channel equipment operator chief for the squadron. "When we first got here the Marines didn't have much, and he made a good use of time to provide the Marines with something that they will always need."

In the five months the MCWS-28 has been here, Arellano performs approximately 50 haircuts a week, in addition to his regular daily duties with the squadron.

"Everyone that I know of goes to him," said Sandusky. "I even saw some civilians go to him."

His hair-cutting abilities are not limited to just male Marines and civilians; he also gives female Marines haircuts.

"I grew up with five sisters, so when they went and got their hair cut when we were younger, I would always be there and would watch," Arellano said.

Using the Marine Corps order on hair regulations, he expanded his services to include female Marines and plans to continue operations in The Fade Away throughout the squadron's deployment in Afghanistan.

Ellie