View Full Version : Parris Island Marine Band Dazzles in Florence

thedrifter
09-20-09, 09:07 AM
Parris Island Marine Band Dazzles in Florence
Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island
Story by Lance Cpl. Isaac Lamberth
Date: 09.18.2009
Posted: 09.19.2009 03:26

MCRD PARRIS ISLAND, S.C.--The Parris Island Marine Band took part in the eigth annual Patriots Day Parade in Florence, S.C., Saturday.

Thousands of people lined the streets during the parade and hundreds attended the concert at West Florence High School as the Marines showed off their musical skills.

"I thought the show was absolutely breathtaking in every aspect," said Barbara Newlis, a Florence resident who attended the concert at WFHS.

"The Marines played the music flawlessly," added Newlis of Florence, S.C. "The patriotic tunes they played really stirred up emotions inside me and my husband. It really made us appreciate living in this country, and we are so grateful for men and women like them."

Newlis said her favorite pieces played that evening at the concert were "Star and Stripes Forever," "Battle Hymn of the Republic" and "Shenandoah."

"It's unfortunate that everybody in this town couldn't hear the outstanding performances given tonight," she said. "The feelings people used to have about being an American are starting to fade, and concerts like this are just what we needed to hear, to help remind us of what it means to be proud of your country again."

The band played several patriotic tunes such as the "Armed Forces 72" composed of every service's hymn, along with several other pieces from other composers.

"When I heard them play the Marine Hymn, it really brought back a lot of memories and reminded me of how proud I am to have served with such an elite organization," said Bill Hunt, the chaplain for Julian D. Dusenbury Detachment 410, Marine Corps League.

The Marine Corps League Detachment coordinated with the band for a year to march in the parade and perform at WFHS.

"We've been trying to get the band out here for a year and we're so glad they were able to squeeze us into their schedule. I know they're a busy group," said Hunt of Effingham, S.C. "To have them out here and perform is fantastic and a real treat for everybody who sees them."

The Marine Corps League and Veterans of Foreign Wars Association raised money for the band to visit the town and perform their skills.

"They went through a lot of trouble to get us out here and what's great is that they're genuinely excited to have us come out here and play for them," said Cpl. Greg Richmond, a tuba player for the band.

"I'm always grateful when we work with the VFW or Marine Corps League." added Richmond of Charleston, W.Va. "It's one of my favorite parts of the job hands down. They are always so happy to see us and they're such friendly people."

Part of those in attendance were the Marine recruiters of Florence who came to both events to show their appreciation of the visit.

"To me, words cannot express what it means to have the band out here and show just how professional Marines are," said Sgt Marshall Levy, a recruiter in Florence. "It's nice to be around Marines again. We don't see a lot of them around when on recruiting duty.

"The band exemplified everything it is to be a Marine," said Levy of Atlanta. "The perfect uniforms, bearing, discipline and precision with which they executed was amazing. I can't wait for them to come again next year."

Ellie