PDA

View Full Version : I Need Advice!!

COMM LiFE
09-19-09, 05:33 AM
Okay, so I'm going on a Marine of the Quarter board...any advice?...this is my second board, but the first one was a paper board...HELP..lol thank you.

Phantom Blooper
09-19-09, 09:26 AM
Study......Everything Marine Corps...Essential Subject to include current events.KNOWLEDGE.

Military Bearing

Leadership Traits and Principles

Uniiform and Grooming...squared away to the max...check and re-check!

Relax......nervousness is a killer!

Good luck!:evilgrin:

Rocky C
09-19-09, 09:37 AM
Study......Everything Marine Corps...Essential Subject to include current events.KNOWLEDGE.

Military Bearing

Leadership Traits and Principles

Uniiform and Grooming...squared away to the max...check and re-check!

Relax......nervousness is a killer!

Good luck!:evilgrin:

EXACTLEY :thumbup:

Good Luck Tink Tink :D
Semper Fi,
Rocky

Wyoming
09-19-09, 10:14 AM
... and don't jinx yourself. Hush and follow Bloop's advice above.

Supersquishy
09-19-09, 10:18 AM
Know your general orders, chain of command, and Marine Corps history too, and do what Phantom B said.

Drafter
09-19-09, 05:18 PM
Good Luck, my best answer is to be yourself, squared away, motivated, dedicated.

and Know the answer to this question.

What is the blast radius of the M40?

animal mother
09-19-09, 06:09 PM
Good Luck, my best answer is to be yourself, squared away, motivated, dedicated.

and Know the answer to this question.

What is the blast radius of the M40?

The M40 is a gas mask......

animal mother
09-19-09, 06:29 PM
Obviously that was a trick question used to test your overall knowledge and military bearing.... <br />
<br />
My reply to that question would be: The M40 is a field protective mask (gas mask) and therefore has...

hussaf
09-19-09, 07:24 PM
Don't forget that anything you take into a board can be inspected. I sat on a board where a guy brought in a cell phone....not good. Especially when there was a text message to the Marine's girlfriend complaining about how long we were taking to set the board up...

lstampa
09-20-09, 07:58 AM
I went on 2 of these, and lost both times.

But it was good practice for my Meritorious Corporal board that I won.

Go in with a locked and cocked march, do the reporting in. When I did it they had a chair I had to sit in, so before you sit down snap your head back, then snap back, then sit straight up with your feet at a 45 degree angle and your hands on your knees.

They will ask general orders, uniform regs etc etc. They even threw out some off the wall questions to see if I lost my bearing. Just make sure you look sharp and get a haircut before it!

Good luck Marine!

thewookie
09-20-09, 08:52 AM
It took me three attempts to win a meritorious Cpl board, then of course I blew the meritorious promotion by getting drunk and stupid with the duty NCO the weekend before I was due to get meritoriously pinned. But our BN Sgt. Major loved me, so instead, I got my bloodstripes on the first instead of the second (I had it that month anyway). Strange how it works.

Any way, first meritorious board I studied X, and they asked Y and Z. The second board I studied X,Y, and Z -- and they asked A,B, and C. But, years later in Greece when I went up for a Marine of the Quarter board I nailed it the first time, so most of the knowledge I gained doing those earlier boards must have stuck.

The best advice that I can give you is to study it all and hope you retain enough to beat the rest of them. Keep your bearing, look'em in the eyes and answer with conviction -- even if you're wrong. They ARE going to stump you, but don't let them see you sweat.

To this day, I know going up on those boards prepared me for job interviews as a civilian -- I have never NOT got a job that I have interviewed for.

Good job getting there, Marine - now seal the deal and win it.

COMM LiFE
09-20-09, 12:29 PM
just want to say thank you to everyone..my board goes tomorrow. I had another mock board today and my SSgt. told me i did way better than last time and that i suprised him..so i'm a bit more confident than before!..WISH ME LUCK!

I went on 2 of these, and lost both times.

But it was good practice for my Meritorious Corporal board that I won.

Go in with a locked and cocked march, do the reporting in. When I did it they had a chair I had to sit in, so before you sit down snap your head back, then snap back, then sit straight up with your feet at a 45 degree angle and your hands on your knees.

They will ask general orders, uniform regs etc etc. They even threw out some off the wall questions to see if I lost my bearing. Just make sure you look sharp and get a haircut before it!

Good luck Marine!FYI I'm a girl!...

MontezumaCpl
09-20-09, 04:26 PM
Good Luck Tink Tink! Be Proud of Yourself and The Corps!

Ooh-Rah!

Quinbo
09-20-09, 05:15 PM
Don't forget that anything you take into a board can be inspected. I sat on a board where a guy brought in a cell phone....not good. Especially when there was a text message to the Marine's girlfriend complaining about how long we were taking to set the board up...

This post sounds just as preposterous to believe as putting a heat tab under a canteen.

Rocky C
09-20-09, 05:21 PM
This post sounds just as preposterous to believe as putting a heat tab under a canteen.

Hot coco to go :D

Quinbo
09-20-09, 05:29 PM
It just reads like a jarhead went to a board with car keys in his pocket and wearing one black sock and one white sock. He's there AJ squared away to win a meritorious promotion like that? I think some just make crap up.

SlingerDun
09-20-09, 05:31 PM
heat tab under a canteen.If he left the water balloon over the growing heat source long enough would it pop and extinguish the flame? similar in a way to Jack Londons' "To Build a Fire"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtXOr-5Q8RQ

Rocky C
09-20-09, 05:36 PM
It just reads like a jarhead went to a board with car keys in his pocket and wearing one black sock and one white sock. He's there AJ squared away to win a meritorious promotion like that? I think some just make crap up.

HUH???
It's a WM asking for advice.

Drafter
09-20-09, 06:33 PM
Yep trick question, but they will ask stuff like that, at least they did in my day.

I was the 1/7 Bn. Marine of the Quarter one time, had a picture up in the mess hall. Everytime I would go to the e-club someone would say, hey look it's that Marine of the Quarter Guy. Get that Marine a beer. Bout all it was good for, lol.

Blew it at Regiment, a Gunny from another Bn. asked me what an M-79 was, **** we didn't even have them anymore. My answer was, I don't know the answer of the question, but I will find out. Some LCPL from 3/7 got all the questions right. He got the Promo.

BR34
09-21-09, 05:58 AM
Me and you were on the island at the same time, and graduated and reported to MCT the same days. Nice.

Quinbo
09-21-09, 10:16 AM
HUH???
It's a WM asking for advice.

Oops we got our apples and oranges in the same basket Rocky. I was responding to the post about a Marine going to a board with a cell phone in their pocket.

COMM LiFE
09-22-09, 10:45 AM
Okai so my board was yesterday...i didnt win it but they told me it was a close call so they had to go by who answered the most questions and it was the other Marine, I got a lot of partials but other than that I did GREAT. my Gunny said he's going to put me on the next bored that's oming up...so hopefully i take that one!...once again i want to say that you to all of you for helping me out!

Rocky C
09-22-09, 11:55 AM
Okai so my board was yesterday...i didnt win it but they told me it was a close call so they had to go by who answered the most questions and it was the other Marine, I got a lot of partials but other than that I did GREAT. my Gunny said he's going to put me on the next bored that's oming up...so hopefully i take that one!...once again i want to say that you to all of you for helping me out!

At least you got a good heads up Tink for what happens on the next one :thumbup:.
Semper Fi,
Rocky

Drafter
09-22-09, 04:37 PM

You gave it a roll bro, Nice Job. Thing is now you know you're on the right track. Your doing what your supposed to be doing and doing it well. Otherwise they wouldn't have picked you to go to the Board. Stay squared away and Gungho but, don't skyline yourself.

Get some!

Rocky C
09-22-09, 04:48 PM
You gave it a roll bro, Nice Job. Thing is now you know you're on the right track. Your doing what your supposed to be doing and doing it well. Otherwise they wouldn't have picked you to go to the Board. Stay squared away and Gungho but, don't skyline yourself.

Get some!

Devil, COMM LiFE is a WM :D.
Semper Fi,
Rocky

Drafter
09-22-09, 08:34 PM
AH, so she is...... delete "bro and insert sis".

Sorry bout that Perez.

:p