PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo

ProudDad
09-18-09, 05:12 PM
I'm going to get a tattoo designed to express how proud I am of my son now that he is a Marine. My problem? I'm unsure exactly what I want to get done.

EGA is out. He earned it, not me. I was thinking a Devil Dog with a dog tag around it's neck with my son's name.

Any other Marine parents here that have had a similar quandary?

Thanks in advance

Quinbo
09-18-09, 06:33 PM
I can't think of a single cool tatoo to get. The one you suggested sounds as good as any. I had a room mate red hair freckles. Covered in tatoos. We used to tease him on pay day. "You gonna go out in town and let a drunk guy play dot to dot again." I swear that guy had tatoos from ankle to nose. Most of them were jacked up looking like a monkey did it with a crayon.

That is a permanate decision. I'm not against tatoos but thoughts of what and where should be on your mind before you get one. I have one on my pecker that just says al when it is soft and albequerque new mexico when it is hard. The ladies love it.

maverickmarine
09-18-09, 06:44 PM
I can't think of a single cool tatoo to get. The one you suggested sounds as good as any. I had a room mate red hair freckles. Covered in tatoos. We used to tease him on pay day. "You gonna go out in town and let a drunk guy play dot to dot again." I swear that guy had tatoos from ankle to nose. Most of them were jacked up looking like a monkey did it with a crayon.

That is a permanate decision. I'm not against tatoos but thoughts of what and where should be on your mind before you get one. I have one on my pecker that just says al when it is soft and albequerque new mexico when it is hard. The ladies love it.

LOL. You're too much devil.

maverickmarine
09-18-09, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I never really wanted any tattoos until I got into the Marine Corps. It is something that makes you want more once you've gotten one. But I have three total and all on my upper arms and all have significant meaning regarding the Marine Corps so I know I will never regret them. The one you suggested sounds good to go.

Osotogary
09-18-09, 07:27 PM
ProudDad.
Not that I think that it is a bad idea but I never wanted to get a tattoo even though I am very, very, proud of both of my sons, one of them being a Marine.
I have a suggestion for you, if you don't mind. Before getting the tattoo, design one for yourself or have one designed for you. Then, instead of having the tattoo put on your body, make an iron-on copy of it for your t-shirt. Wear it around, see if you like it. By having multiple designs made and using iron-ons you can have a whole slew of great t-shirts that you can wear and share.
Adios, for now.
Gary

ProudDad
09-18-09, 07:47 PM
Great suggestions all, thanks. I've never gotten a tattoo (I'm from the club that has never found a reason to get one). My son has 5 and and from the day he put his feet in those yellow footprints I've been thinking I've finally gotten a reason.

Thanks Osotogary, I'm thinking that may be a great way to go to see if I like carrying a design around for the next 40 or so years.

sparkie
09-18-09, 07:55 PM
A Tat should mean sumpthin besides decorating the lost. What has meaning to you?
I got 1,,,,, EGA,,, 'cause it means sumpthin to me.

Idena
09-23-09, 11:13 AM
How about an American flag with dog tags with your son's info? It'd be a tribute to him as well as an indication of your own patriotism. It wouldn't be too over the top.

ProudDad
09-25-09, 05:27 PM
That's a great idea as well Idena. Thanks. He's at ITB right now so I have until he finishes to come up with the exact design.

Thanks for the again for the feedback and suggestions.

thewookie
09-25-09, 09:13 PM
I have no problem with a civilian or non-Marine getting a Marine motto tattoo, same thing goes for that same person wearing a USMC shirt. I would not do it, but if I had a son or daughter in, I might. Tattoos are about pride to me. But I would also hope, that a person doing that to themselves would be prepared for a lifetime of questions by any "real" Marine who see's it. There is, however, a clear line that can never be crossed and that is any one saying they were something they are/were not. It's the same as having USMC on a NASCAR racing car or any other form of USMC advertising. Just my two cents...

Marine84
09-25-09, 10:22 PM
The Devil Dog w/dog tags is pretty cool. OR do his bootcamp pic with his graduation date below it. THAT would be waaaaaaay cool!

I have 2 and, just like sparkie, they mean something to me. I got tramp stamped with a set of Ordnance Wings (a bomb with wings and a flame coming out of the top of the bomb - cause my MOS in the Corps was Ordnance) and a small copyright sign with 1961 (I got it when I turned 40).

SgtThrasher
09-25-09, 11:07 PM
On a Caribbean cruise 1-66 on liberty in San Juan ,I waited in a long line at ACE'S Tattoo Parlor to get a eagle globe and anchor or USMC ,but grew weary waiting so long and my buddies wanted to visit the girls and with a pocket full of money,we omitted the tattooing ,and that was as close to the ink as I came.

marinemama
10-05-09, 02:47 AM
That sounds pretty cool! I got my first one, when my boys went to boot camp....it is on my upper back and is a heart with some serious pokey things coming out of it and some really nice blood red color all faded and stuff.....the boys names are on it. They were very surprised and loved it, when they saw it. Before they both deployed this year, we all got a nautical star in blue and black...they wanted guy colors...lol...that way, no matter where we were in the world, we had the same star to look at. Corny, but it worked for us. I hadn't ever had one before either, saw no need to mark myself with something permanent. I agree, it isn't something to do spur of the moment. Enjoy, I kinda like the feeling of the needles, they are very addictive too.