PDA

View Full Version : Backpacker aims to cross United States

thedrifter
09-18-09, 08:27 AM
Backpacker aims to cross United States

By Hillary Gavan
hgavan@beloitdailynews.com
Published: Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:04 PM CDT
Darin Robertson doesn’t like to be called a hitchhiker, although he will accept a short lift here and there if asked. Backpacking across the country, Robertson wants to discover the real America, and himself, after a 22-year career in the Marines.

“I don’t thumb for a ride,” Robertson said. “I want to stay true to my core.”

Robertson, of Hawaii, stopped in at Suds O’Hanahan’s Irish Pub Tuesday to chat with Beloiters. He’s halfway through a long journey, with plenty of stories and insights to share. After losing two toenails and a pair of boots, he’s learned it’s hard work hoofing it across the country.

Robertson started his journey in South Dakota where he grew up. He then worked his way toward Minneapolis and is headed for Chicago. He’ll eventually tour through Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and finish in Florida where he will visit his best friend.

The main reason for his trip, he said, was to discover what kind of people are really out there. In today’s society, Robertson said people are fearful of each other, somewhat because of the negative media.

“Let your kids walk to school, they’ll be fine. I don’t think the world is as dangerous as we perceive it,” Robertson said.

Robertson, 43, also wants to put a book together about his experiences post retirement. He wants to give some insight into those who aren’t sure what to do with their life after retirement. The book will be about planning to do a trip, or other goals, as a transition before the retirement phase of life.

In his travels Robertson has his strategies for connecting with locals. He will usually look for a mom and pop diner or cafe. If he can’t find one then he heads toward the Chamber of Commerce and eventually a bar. If that fails, he will wander into the police and fire departments.

“I just start asking questions,” Robertson said.

Wisconsin, however, has been a little problematic as compared to out West. He hasn’t found many camp sites close to the main roads, and the ones he has found are expensive.

His favorite stops have been in Red Wing, Minn., Milan, Minn., and nearby Stoughton, Wis. He said those communities had downtowns close to the interstates. He said he liked Beloit’s historic downtown, although he said he might have missed it because there wasn’t any signs he could find promoting it.

To follow Robertson, people can befriend him on MySpace.com and Facebook.com, or visit his blog at http://robertsondb.blogspot.com. He enjoys blogging to keep up with friends and family.

Ellie