PDA

View Full Version : Hey is there a LAW..

Freddy90
09-17-09, 08:55 PM
First off hey Marines, thanks ahead for the responces. O.k so my mother said she was going to call my recruiter and tell him i'm the only son this and that and she went on about some law she thought existed. Basically My moms does NOT want me to go to war or the USMC for that matter, I myself will do as much as i can to serve my country. My question to you is this if my mother calls my recruiter and gives him some speach about the "only son law" will my this effect me? I mean will my recruiter toss me out of the DEP program because of her? 2nd Question is this even a real LAW "you cant send the only son to war" I just want to make sure there is NOTHING my mother can do to ruin my career as a United States Marine.

Thanks ahead Marines.

p.s My mother isn't understanding about me going which sucks but oh well.

BR34
09-17-09, 09:04 PM
That only pertains to a draft. Your mother can't stop you from volunteering.

Lisa 23
09-17-09, 09:04 PM
Question: Can &quot;Only Sons&quot; go to war? <br />
Answer: There is an old legend that claims, if all of the male children of a family are in service and all but one of them dies in service regardless of cause,...

Freddy90
09-17-09, 09:10 PM
Thank you so much Marine! It really had me going thinking my mother was gunna get me just like that, i appreciate everything!

Lisa 23
09-17-09, 09:16 PM
Have you tried sitting down with your mom and explain to her your reasons for wanting to be a Marine? Try and make her understand from your point in a respectful way, but also listen to what she has to say, also being respectful of what she has to say. She's your mom and she's only worried about you.

GyC
09-18-09, 08:52 PM
Have you tried sitting down with your mom and explain to her your reasons for wanting to be a Marine? Try and make her understand from your point in a respectful way, but also listen to what she has to say, also being respectful of what she has to say. She's your mom and she's only worried about you.

Ditto.. Great advice LASW.. Communication is the best way to get past concerns and objections.. Sit down and talk with Mom about her concerns and why you joined... Set her up to meet with you and the Recruiter... S/F

tangovictor87
09-18-09, 09:10 PM
she can call your recruiter and tell him you p!ss the bed every night.

but seriously, sit down and tell her why you're doing this. i bet you that she'll be in tears come graduation (assuming you make it)

Freddy90
09-18-09, 09:41 PM
Thanks Marines for the advice. Man i've tried and tried to explain the USMC and why i feel it's important for me to do what i feel BUT my family isn't a red white and blue type...I'm really the first to feel like i bleed the American flag, I don't know where i got it from but Maby as time goes by they will accept what i've chosen for myself. AGAIN thanks alot Marines!

jwcorbin
09-18-09, 09:53 PM
I am an only son,, And a Marine Corps Viet Nam Vet... There is no law preventing you from joining,,, Semper Fi

GREY MATTER
09-18-09, 10:15 PM
you are already in the DEP correct? you are still a minor correct? didnt she already sign the paperwork?

i was never in the DEP so i have no idea how it works

Lisa 23
09-18-09, 11:05 PM
you are already in the DEP correct? you are still a minor correct? didnt she already sign the paperwork?

i was never in the DEP so i have no idea how it works

His profile says he's 19.

Trucrimsongold
09-19-09, 09:38 AM
If you are not 18 your Mom could very well keep you from going in, as a matter of fact you actually need her signature to join.
There is no such "law" about the only son thing, There was an endeavor during WWII to get men who were the last in their blood line to carry on their families name out of combat, but that was a campaign started up by the Brass during WWII when more people were being killed in one day than the entire Iraqi campaign.

Lisa 23
09-19-09, 10:22 AM
If you are not 18 your Mom could very well keep you from going in, as a matter of fact you actually need her signature to join.

His profile says he's 19!

Petz
09-19-09, 11:38 AM
I think your mom watched 'saving private ryan' one too many times.

as it was said, during a draft the only child cannot be in combat, but does not prevent him/her from serving.

but it's old and crusty and doesn't apply to the all volunteer military as was said earlier.

I'm basically condensing a few posts here.

my parents didn't like me joining, but once they saw me graduate they couldn't have been any prouder.

my brother graduated AF basic training before me and my parents said the Marines don't half ass anything, they have never seen anything so well coordinated before. Every time they get a new vehicle they are asking me for more 'proud parent of' stickers for the window.

Old Marine
09-19-09, 02:41 PM
Thanks Marines for the advice. Man i've tried and tried to explain the USMC and why i feel it's important for me to do what i feel BUT my family isn't a red white and blue type...I'm really the first to feel like i bleed the American flag, I don't know where i got it from but Maby as time goes by they will accept what i've chosen for myself. AGAIN thanks alot Marines!

You are 19 years old and the law says you are old enough to make yourown decisions.

Just remember that Mothers are Mothers and worry about their children. Do not blame her for being worried about your well being, after all, she changed a lot of your dirty pampers and has raised you up until now.

Give you Mom some slack and never stop loving her.

Rocky C
09-19-09, 03:26 PM
You are 19 years old and the law says you are old enough to make yourown decisions.

Just remember that Mothers are Mothers and worry about their children. Do not blame her for being worried about your well being, after all, she changed a lot of your dirty pampers and has raised you up until now.

Give you Mom some slack and never stop loving her.

Great Answer :thumbup:.

GREY MATTER
09-19-09, 03:45 PM
His profile says he's 19.

well he should have faith in knowing that since he isnt a minor there isnt a thing his mother can do to keep him from coming into our beloved Corps

Freddy90
09-20-09, 10:18 PM
LOL I just logged back in, and WOW you Marines are great! Yeah I'm 19 but, i just was worried there might have been "some weird" law that my mom could have used against me so i couldnt go. I talked to her she is a little more "understanding" about me going into the USMC, but the MOS is another story for her, ( 03 ) LOL thanks again for the funny answers =P

Petz
09-20-09, 10:39 PM
I think you would be better off with another MOS in my opinion. Grunts'll be hard to get promoted since it's over filled...

0331 2 0369
09-21-09, 07:40 AM
I think you would be better off with another MOS in my opinion. Grunts'll be hard to get promoted since it's over filled...

This is true but he shouldn't just "settle" for an MOS. He should go for what he wants. Now if the 03xx field was closed then by all means he should look at different MOS's if he really wants to be a Marine. He can always lat move when/if he re-ups.

Petz
09-21-09, 08:55 AM
check, let me correct myself. For those who join thinking they want to go all out and be a grunt, you should seriously consider what you are doing. Becoming a Marine is going all out, being a grunt is a job just like every other MOS in the Corps. Don't think that Motor T isn't as awesome as Infantry 'cause Infantry aren't guaranteed a ride everywhere they go. Each job has it's perks as well as it's cons. Don't fool yourself into believing that the only "honorable", "all-out" way is into Infantry.

Doing something that you are comfortable doing (as long as it's available) is the most important thing.

Sorry gunny, I was to concise in my post earlier. I see them saying this all the time but all we hear is *****ing about it not being the "Modern Warfare" game they played in HS.

Semper Fi Gunny.

Shotgunner12Ga
09-25-09, 02:07 PM
Your mother will worry, that is in her job profile. You are 19, and do not need her permission to make decisions in your life; only her support. It's time for her to cut the apron strings, and let you live your life the way you want to. She doesn't have to like it, but her support will help you to stay motivated through the first several months. I see a few posts reguarding 'OcFields'. My input on that is simply this: "I cannot tell you what to choose, but try to find something that will give you great technical experiance, based on what you want to do when you get out. Whether you do 2, or 32 years, you will have that technical training to fall back on."

Petz
09-26-09, 12:46 AM
infantry is a tactical training. good for swat.

but eventually if you make a career out of it you get the leadership training that is taught (sic) to SNCOs and above, which tends to be all encompassing rather than MOS specific.

polizei
09-26-09, 08:29 AM
You're mom will always worry about you, like mine. My parent's refused to believe me when I said I was joining the Corps. Well, now they are both very supportive and proud of me, and your parents will as well, it'll just take time.

If you want to be a Marine, then be a Marine!

Petz
09-26-09, 08:38 AM
usually, all it takes is them seeing the graduation at PI or SD and they'll be hooked.