PDA

View Full Version : MCL bans khaki shirt:(

MotherGoose
09-17-09, 11:24 AM
I missed last month's MCL meeting, so when I called another member to get an update, I was shocked to learn that we have 90 days to switch to white shirts and black pants:(

This is posted at mcleague.com:
Effective with the close of the Marine Corps League’s 86th National Convention (August 7, 2009) held in Rochester, MN, the KHAKI (tan) SHIRT is no longer authorized for wear as a part of the Marine Corps League Uniform for any purpose. The members in attendance voted overwhelmingly to remove the "Khaki" (tan) shirt as an authorized part of the Ceremonial Uniform. It has not been authorized for wear with any other MCL uniform for several years. All Detachment and Department Color Guards and Honor Guards are to suspend wearing of the Khaki Shirt and change over to the "Casual" uniform or "Undress" uniform as proscribed in National Bylaws Enclosure Three (3) (http://www.mcleague.com/mdp/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=68)

JRHD72
09-17-09, 03:44 PM
The Commandant of the Marine Corps has been in a tizzy over this issue for years. Now it is written in stone. It do's not look good to have some 250 to 350 pound puss guts parading around in dress blue's. Covers are goimg to be the next big issue! Especialy what you put on them.

nvusmcsgt
09-22-09, 03:04 PM
Plus guys cant seem to understand that it says that DOD ribbons cannot be worn with the Khaki shirt and so many guys do it. Also there are pictures floating around with guys with rank on the sleeves. What did they expect?

flyby
09-22-09, 09:44 PM
The Commandant of the Marine Corps has been in a tizzy over this issue for years. Now it is written in stone. It do's not look good to have some 250 to 350 pound puss guts parading around in dress blue's. Covers are goimg to be the next big issue! Especialy what you put on them.

Maybe he should be directing his efforts to more important issues such as revising and streamlining off-contract re-enlistments of prior service Marines back into the AD & Reserve force.

Supersquishy
09-23-09, 05:17 AM
Maybe he should be directing his efforts to more important issues such as revising and streamlining off-contract re-enlistments of prior service Marines back into the AD & Reserve force.

EXACTLY, FLYBY you read my mind.

lcpljopek
10-04-09, 04:12 PM
Without the khaki shirt they will just look like the Navy.

sgtbiz
10-04-09, 07:27 PM
Got this from the new bylaws. Looks like Color Guards will still wear the khaki shirts.

CEREMONIAL UNIFORM Regular members of Departments and/or Detachments having "COLOR GUARDS" may wear the "CEREMONIAL Uniform" ONLY when participating in those ceremonies. This uniform is authorized for both Males and Females.
• Standard Cover (Paragraph V)
• Devil Dog collar (optional)
• Nametag (optional) (Paragraph IX)
• SHIRT,
o KHAKI (tan), long sleeve with military creases, with TIE, KHAKI, and Marine Corps or Marine Corps League gold tie bar
–OR-
o KHAKI (tan), short sleeve with military creases, open collar without tie/tie bar.
• Marine Corps League Sunburst insignias on collar, centered 1/2” inside the collar tip, with wings on the emblem parallel to the deck
• Shoulder patches as authorized (Paragraph IV)
• Marine Corps League Ribbons "ONLY" –OR- "NO" ribbons at all. (No DoD

Lisa 23
10-04-09, 08:25 PM
At our MCL meeting this afternoon, the District Vice Commandant was present and said that the khaki shirt is no longer part of the MCL uniform period, no exceptions. White shirt, black trousers and red blazer, that's it...and of course the MCL cover. The only EGA allowed on the cover is the all gold one, not the silver and gold that officers wear, all gold. He told us that if members continue to wear the silver and gold EGA on the MCL cover, the EGA may be the next thing that MCL members will have taken away from them.

Lisa 23
10-04-09, 08:57 PM
Marine Corps League
National Headquarters
http://www.mcleague.com/mdp/

MCL bans Khaki (Tan) Shirts

Effective with the close of the Marine Corps Leagues 86th National Convention (Aug 7, 2009) held in Rochester, MN, the KHAKI (tan) SHIRT is no longer authorized for wear as part of the Marine Corps League Uniform for any porpose. The members in attendance voted overwhelmingly to remove the Khaki (tan) shirt as an authorized part of the Ceremonial Uniform. It has not been authorized for wear with any other MCL uniform for several years. All Detachment and Department Color Guards and Honor Guards are to suspend wearing of the Khaki Shirt and change over to the "Casual" uniform or "Undress" uniform as proscribed in the National Bylaws Enclosure Three (3).

lcpljopek
10-05-09, 12:00 AM
white shirt, black pants and red blazer. sorry, but that is a ugly uniform. i am a young marine and i am not going to walk around in a 'blazer". i would rather be undressed totally. it sould like the chubby MCL board members are looking for a way to get that blazer worn because it make them look less chunky. i for one joined because we still could keep some usmc uniforms in use. now its all gone and so am i. to many rules, drama, politics and no comradoriary. well at least the "carry on det" in clayton nc is like that. so long MCL. semper fi, rob j

Tracylaud83
10-22-09, 10:08 AM
Can the Marine Corps uniform (Delta's) still be worn at Funerals, Weddings, Military/Patriotic Events ?
No MCL cover, but full uniform ?
And I believe the standard was "MUST be in compliance with height/weight/grooming standards"

yanacek
10-22-09, 10:33 AM
Especially what you put on them. I would personally like to see them remove that large Marine Corps emblem that was proportioned to be on a barracks cover and go to the smaller gold emblem--the same size that is worn on the Blue Dress collar. The large emblem on the MCL pi$$cutter is just plain obnoxious. I'd also like to see them prohibit wearing the covers indoors. That is against naval tradition and not in accordance with etiquette.

Lisa 23
10-22-09, 10:34 AM
You cannot wear the MCL cover with your Marine Corps uniform (Delta's) at any time. The MCL cover is only authorized to wear with the MCL uniform, not any Marine Corps uniforms. When wearing any of...

Tracylaud83
10-22-09, 10:40 AM
Thats what I thought.
I agree that the MCL Muckity Mucks make us ALL look bad.
(Think PCP, Pork Chop Platoon)

Tracylaud83
10-22-09, 01:19 PM
Wannabes & Poolees - when using the word MARINE CORPS, it will be capitalized at all times. Show RESPECT to Marines by calling us Marines, NOT 'guys and gals'......also, show RESPECT to the Marines who answer your questions by saying "Thanks Marines", NOT 'Thanks guys'.

Just a question:
Does that mean it's bam or is it baM

Just kidding, couldn't resist.:D

temarti
10-22-09, 01:29 PM
I have one question on MCL, do all wear blood stripes or only those who earned them? I was looking at pictures to see the khaki shirts and what stands out more is the blood stripes on everyone in the pics I saw.

yanacek
10-22-09, 01:49 PM
Everyone does, regardless of former rank. I wish they would also drop wearing those too. It's part of the Marine Corps uniform and should only be worn IAW Marine Corps regulations.

temarti
10-22-09, 02:04 PM
Thanks Top....

USMCM38A1
12-08-09, 07:54 PM
Anyone else have members who want to quit over the kakhi shirt rule ,Our Color Guard and Honorguard have decided to do as they please including wearing Dress Blues for Color Guard and Honor Guard Duty and not all of them served in time of war and none of them are retired Marines.

yanacek
12-08-09, 08:47 PM
No rogue members here on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I personally don't understand what the problem is since the MCL has the best looking uniforms of all the veteran's organizations.

Skosh59
12-10-09, 07:03 PM
Marines, here is a copy of a memo from the National Commandant that may clearify some of the concerns stated here.

All Detachments should have received this.
__________________________________________________ ____________
Distribution All

Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 9:25 PM
To: Executive Director
Subject: Marine Corps League 2009 Convention Issue

Board of Trustees, PNC’s and Department Commandants –

The National Commandant has asked that I forward the following letter from him to our e-mail list. He asked that you please get it down to your Detachments and all concerned.
The message is clear – it is time to stop all the anger and gnashing of teeth. Working to create divides in the organization is counter-productive. This issue will be properly addressed at the National Convention in North Carolina and no amount of kicking and screaming is going to make it happen sooner. If everyone would just tone down the rhetoric, this can be resolved in a calm and adult like manner then.

Marine Corps League Members and Board of Trustees -

I have reviewed once again, the National Bylaws as they relate to the issue of Khaki shirts that was brought up on the floor at National Convention. I have read and concur with the National JA John Kovalcik’s interpretation of the intent of our Bylaws. Both Gerry Devlin, the National Parliamentarian, and John have pointed out numerous times in "Roberts Rule of Order Revised", that say that if a mistake was made at Convention, then a “point of order” must be raised at that time and not after the Convention has closed.

JA Kovalcik clarifies this point in his statement, "Normally a point of order must only be raised at the time of the alleged breach of order. Failing to raise a point of order usually waives any right to object. There is an exception, which may have confused some. If the question that a proposed action violates the constitution or bylaw it may be raised at any time (section 21 Roberts Rules of Order Revised) this means that it may be raised at any time during the Convention not three months later. When a convention adjourns Sine Die (the final adjournment as opposed to a day to day recess or adjournment) it carries with it all pending business Section 18 Roberts Rules of Order. There is no Parliamentary way for the will of the convention to be modified once the final gavel has fallen." In other words, once the Convention is CLOSED, it would be illegal in accordance with "Roberts Rules" to disregard the will of the “body” (that being the properly elected, registered, and approved Delegates in good standing, on the floor), and alter a proposed Bylaw change or amendment thereto. More importantly, perhaps is the fact that it would do a great disservice to those who attended and participated as Registered Delegates and voted their will, at the National Convention. I would re-iterate here, that this amendment did not originate with the National Board of Trustees, or Marine Corps League National Headquarters. It in fact came from the floor and was approved on the floor.

In reading National Bylaws, Article 100 the intent clearly vests the supreme legislative and policy making power of the Marine Corps League in the National Convention composed of the properly elected, registered and approved Delegates in good standing. The confusion I see between Article 100 and Article 800 of the bylaws involves the implied intent of the delegates’ authority at a convention to make Marine Corps League policy. While Article 100 gives the supreme authority to the delegates at a convention to make policy, Article 800 CH4-95 appears to want to restrict that authority of the delegates to only those bylaw changes submitted for revision, amendment or repeal that were properly submitted to National Headquarters prior to April 1st.

If the current approved amendment on the issue of Khaki shirts were to be changed it would devastate the power of the aforementioned Convention Delegates to act as a body and conduct League business and it would force the will of a relative few members who “after the fact”, disagree with the ruling. This is why a challenge must be brought during the Convention. That would allow those same delegates to debate the validity of the challenge. NJA Kovalcik is correct when he says that “Red Hats Rule”. As your National Commandant I believe in the power of the properly elected, registered, and approved Delegates in good standing to dictate to the duly elected National Officers, the direction of the Marine Corps League and as such, approve or disapprove all amendments brought before the floor of a National Convention. In this context the “National Registered Delegates, present at Convention, rule”. To now remove the rights of the majority of the delegates to decide an issue would be a monumental blow to the rights of the membership to decide any question. Marines, remember it was the majority of the delegates on the convention floor who overwhelming approved the removal of the Khaki shirt from our dress code.

With that being said; I have suggested to the National Judge Advocate that Article 800 should be closely reviewed and consideration given to restating that portion of the Article that might be confusing. It is important to restore the intent of Article 100. The delegates at a National Convention must be able to conduct business and shape Marine Corps League policy, without the interference of a few. This should curtail further problems dealing with all business conducted at the National Convention.

Semper Fidelis
James R. Laskey
National Commandant