PDA

View Full Version : Corrective Eyewear

Rough Hands
09-17-09, 04:22 AM
Good evening, Marines!

First, I believe an introduction is in order; I am a fat-body wannabe trying to meet weight standards in order to have a shot at becoming a United States Marine. I have been doing extensive research over the last 7 months, and I also keep in contact with my local Recruiter to update him bi-weekly on my weight-loss progress.

Anyhow, as much as I thought I knew, I actually came up with a few questions recently that I couldn't answer myself. Even though I thought them to be rather silly, I will ask out of utter curiosity...

Are recruits allowed to remove the 'BC' glasses during certain occasions, such as graduation photos or during graduation? Also, on a more serious note, do recruits who are required to wear corrective lenses shoot just as well as recruits without on average? Can any of the Marines here vouch for an Expert Rifleman with corrective lenses?

I am awfully curious, and appreciate any information you can provide. Many thanks in advance!

BR34
09-17-09, 06:46 AM
I didn't wear my glasses once after we finished with the rifle range. No D.I. ever bothered me about it.

I shot expert with my glasses from boot camp about 6 months ago at Pendleton, so yes, it's possible as long as you do what you're told by the marksmanship instructors.

Supersquishy
09-17-09, 06:48 AM
You will get BC's, you will wear them at all times, you won't have to wear them for your photo unless you want to.

I shot expert at Boot Camp with my BC's. In fact a lot of the recruits shot expert that had BC. One recruit was complaining thinking it gave us an edge. NOT.

Anchorage, huh. I graduated from Service H.S. I joined from the recruit station on Dimaond blvd.(?).

dizark
09-17-09, 11:21 AM
Removing your BC's during graduation or during Marine week is completely up to your Senior Drill Instructor. My SDI did not allow us to wear our civilian glasses until we were dismissed on graduation day. I know of other platoons who were allowed to wear them. During the Platoon photo near the end of training, we all had to remove our glasses (for uniformity).

Trust me, they may look ugly, but after wearing them for awhile, and seeing others wearing them, they're not that bad.

tangovictor87
09-17-09, 02:41 PM
Trust me, they may look ugly, but after wearing them for awhile, and seeing others wearing them, they're not that bad.

im not even joking but i have mine on now.:nerd:

and i shot expert. 3 points under company high. 100% on table 2.

Rough Hands
09-17-09, 03:08 PM
Thank you, Marines. The information you provided was very helpful.

Anchorage, huh. I graduated from Service H.S. I joined from the recruit station on Dimaond blvd.(?).

I graduated from West High School, and the recruiting station is still on Dimond. I actually met a couple of new PFC's straight out of boot that were from Seward up at the State Fair a couple of weeks ago.

stein07
09-17-09, 04:05 PM
You don't have to have great sight to be a great marksman. You focus on the front sight post not the target. If you can't see out to the front sight post, then you have a problem.

Rough Hands
09-17-09, 04:49 PM
You don't have to have great sight to be a great marksman. You focus on the front sight post not the target. If you can't see out to the front sight post, then you have a problem.

Dually noted, thank you. =)

dizark
09-17-09, 05:11 PM
I shot left handed as a right handed person, and shot a 300 (5 points from expert). I was really excited to have shot so well. During rifle week, be sure to put a small piece of mole skin on the bridge of the glasses so they don't slide down. Don't be a moron who puts a thick piece of mole skin on... it just looks ridiculous.

BR34
09-17-09, 07:31 PM
im not even joking but i have mine on now.:nerd:

Yea, I wear mine at home all the time. Sure, my wife laughed at me at first, but eventually she got over it.

I'd never leave the house wearing em though. They're my "TV goggles".

Quinbo
09-17-09, 07:40 PM
I shot left handed as a right handed person, and shot a 300 (5 points from expert). I was really excited to have shot so well. During rifle week, be sure to put a small piece of mole skin on the bridge of the glasses so they don't slide down. Don't be a moron who puts a thick piece of mole skin on... it just looks ridiculous.

For some reason that really tickled my funny bone diz. Come here glasses ... so you just want to put two pounds of freakin band aids on there huhh? You're gonna be a hump drop from just trying to carry that crap around all day and you look like clark kent in retard mode.

dizark
09-17-09, 08:41 PM
It truly was ridiculous looking, Sgt. Some people must not have really cared how much worse they made them look.