PDA

View Full Version : Intel and MCFS orMSG

Kmwhite08
09-17-09, 04:06 AM
Hey Marines is it possible for me to go Intel 0231 AND either security forces or Marine security guard?

I'd ask my recruiter but he has been jerking me around for the last month.

Thanks Marines!:usmc:

Lisa 23
09-17-09, 08:37 AM
So, your occupation is a "Recruit". A Recruit of what...not the Marine Corps. You're not even in boot camp yet. That's the only time you're referred to as a Recruit.
Any MOS is possible in the Marine Corps, as long as you have the test scores that qualify you for that MOS. Did you take the ASVAB yet? Are you in your weight requirements for your height? Do you need any waivers for anything?
If you haven't taken the ASVAB yet, maybe that's the reason why your Recruiter is jerking you around.

Kmwhite08
09-17-09, 09:59 AM
Yes I have taken the ASVAB, I got a 76, I also took the physical. Now I am just waiting on him. I am 6'2 190lbs. so I meet the requirements. I don't need any type of waiver so I don't know what the hold up is.
Thanks for your help though.

thewookie
09-17-09, 10:06 AM
Hey Marines is it possible for me to go Intel 0231 AND either security forces or Marine security guard?

NO, on your second contract you can go from Intel to MCSF or MSG.

Kmwhite08
09-17-09, 10:09 AM
So your saying I would have to wait to reenlist?

Lisa 23
09-17-09, 10:12 AM
Have you tried speaking to the Marine in charge of the RS yet? If not, give it a try and let him/her know what's going on, and be respectful about it. There could be many reasons why your Recruiter...

thewookie
09-17-09, 10:15 AM
So your saying I would have to wait to reenlist?

I'm saying that. But first you have to earn the title and do your first contract. Then, if you decide and are allowed to reenlist, and IF you qualify -- you can apply for the MCSF or MSG programs.

Kmwhite08
09-17-09, 10:18 AM
Ok I will do that and by then I will be qualified. But your right I need to become a Marine first.

Melancon
09-17-09, 12:28 PM
There is no specific MOS requirement for MSG Duty.

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN0459-09.aspx

Lisa 23
09-17-09, 12:34 PM
Looks to me like there are specific requirements for MSG duty according the the link you posted Melancon.....
Commdog7 can answer this better being that she's on MSG duty.

MSG DUTY IS A VOLUNTARY DUTY ASSIGNMEMT. MARINES SEEKING TO BE PART OF THIS CHALLENGING, EXCITING, AND CAREER BROADENING DUTY MUST MEET SEVERAL PREREQUISITES, AND WITH ASSISTANCE FROM THEIR PARENT COMMAND, MUST COMPLETE A 4-PHASED PROCESS BEFORE ATTENDING MSG SCHOOL AT MARINE CORPS EMBASSY SECURITY GROUP (MCESG) IN QUANTICO, VA.

2. THE CRITERIA TO APPLY FOR MSG DUTY ARE: BE A U.S. CITIZEN, HAVE 18 MONTHS TIME-ON-STATION, HAVE A 90 GT SCORE OR HIGHER, BE QUALIFIED BY MEDICAL AND DENTAL, HAVE AN UP-TO-DATE POST DEPLOYMENT HEALTH ASSESSMENT, HAVE NO NJPS IN THE LAST 12 MONTHS, AND BE ABLE TO SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETE A PFT. CORPORALS AND BELOW MUST HAVE PRO AND CON MARKS OF 4.2/4.2 AVERAGE, AND SERGEANTS AND BELOW MUST NOT BE MARRIED. SNCOS (SSGT-MGYSGT) MUST HAVE 38 MONTHS OF OBLIGATED SERVICE UPON REPORTING TO MSG SCHOOL AND HAVE MORE THAN 18 MONTHS TIME ON STATION. SNCOS CANNOT BE SINGLE PARENTS OR HAVE A SPOUSE WHO IS ACTIVE DUTY OR ACTIVE RESERVE. SNCO FAMILIES CANNOT CONSIST OF MORE THAN FOUR DEPENDENTS. ADDITIONALLY, IN ORDER TO STAND POST AS A MSG OR BE A DETACHMENT COMMANDER, TOP SECRET CLEARANCE ELIGIBILITY IS REQUIRED BASED ON A SINGLE SCOPE BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION (SSBI). SINCE MOST MARINES DO NOT HAVE THE APPROPRIATE CLEARANCE ELIGIBILITY, THE SSBI WILL BE INITIATED BY THE MCESG SECURITY MANAGER UPON ISSUANCE OF ORDERS TO MSG SCHOOL. IF THE MARINE DOES NOT ALREADY HAVE SECRET CLEARANCE ELIGIBILITY BASED ON A FAVORABLY ADJUDICATED NATIONAL AGENCY CHECK, LAW AND CREDIT CHECK (NACLC), THE SUBMISSION OF THE SSBI WILL ALSO REQUEST AN ADVANCED NATIONAL AGENCY CHECK (NAC) WHICH MAY RESULT IN SECRET ELIGIBILITY BEING ADJUDICATED PRIOR TO THE COMPLETION OF THE SSBI. THIS MAY RENDER THE MARINE SUITABLE FOR TEMPORARY ACCESS AT THE TOP SECRET LEVEL AND CAPABLE OF STANDING POST. THE MCESG SECURITY MANAGER WILL REVIEW THE ELECTRONIC QUESTIONNAIRE FOR INVESTIGATIONS PROCESSING (EQIP) SSBI SUBMISSION AND MAKE A PRELIMINARY DECISION ON TEMPORARY ACCESS. IF TEMPORARY ACCESS IS NOT AN OPTION, THE MARINE WILL NOT REPORT TO MSG SCHOOL UNTIL ALL ISSUES ARE RESOLVED WITH THE DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY CENTRAL ADJUDICATION FACILITY (DONCAF). ALL POTENTIAL ISSUES WILL BE COORDINATED BY THE MCESG SECURITY MANAGER AND SUBSEQUENTLY REVIEWED WITH THE MARINE'S SECURITY MANAGER AND MMEA-85.

A. PHASE I: INITIAL APPLICATION. MARINES MUST CONTACT THEIR COMMAND CAREER PLANNER (CARPLAN) TO INITIATE AN APPLICATION FOR MSG DUTY. THE CARPLAN WILL PROVIDE THE COMMANDING OFFICER'S CHECKLIST AND FINANCIAL WORKSHEET (APPENDIX C). ONCE THESE ARE COMPLETED AND ENDORSED BY THE COMMANDING OFFICER, THE CARPLAN WILL ENSURE THE MARINE ATTENDS THE RECRUITING ADVERTISING AND SCREENING TEAM (RAST) VISIT OR CONDUCTS A PHONE INTERVIEW IF RAST ATTENDANCE IS NOT POSSIBLE.

B. PHASE II: MCESG RAST SCREENING. SCREENING MUST BE CONDUCTED BY THE MCESG RAST. THE PREFERED METHOD FOR THIS SCREENING IS IN PERSON DURING A MCESG RECRUITING VISIT AT BASES OR INSTALLATIONS. HOWEVER, DUE TO OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS, SCREENINGS CAN BE CONDUCTED OVER THE TELEPHONE. TO CONDUCT A TELEPHONIC SCREENING INTERVIEW, CONTACT THE RAST AT 703-784-4861 OR DSN 278-4861. ONCE SCREENING HAS BEEN CONDUCTED AND ELIGIBLITY HAS BEEN DETERMINED, THE APPLICATION WILL BE GIVEN TO THE SPECIAL DUTY ASSIGNMENTS MONITOR AT MMEA-85 FOR FINAL ADJUDICATION AND ORDERS PROCCESSING.

C. PHASE III: MEDICAL SCREENING AND SECURITY QUESTIONNAIRE. THIS PHASE IS EXECUTED ONCE ORDERS ARE RECEIVED FROM MMEA-85 TO ATTEND MSG SCHOOL. DURING THIS PHASE AN OVERSEAS MEDICAL SCREENING AND PHYSICAL AT THE NEAREST MEDICAL FACILITY TO THE APPLICANT'S COMMAND WILL BE CONDUCTED. UPON RECEIPT OF ORDERS, THE MCESG PERSONNEL SECURITY STAFF WILL CONTACT THE APPLICANT AND THEIR COMMAND SECURITY MANAGER BY EMAIL AND TELEPHONE WITH INSTRUCTIONS ON COMPLETING THE EQIP THAT INITIATES THE SSBI. THE GOAL IS TO COMPLETE PHASE III 6 MONTHS PRIOR TO REPORTING TO MSG SCHOOL IN ORDER TO ENSURE THE SSBI IS ADJUDICATED UPON GRADUATION FROM MSG SCHOOL, HOWEVER, THIS DOES NOT PRECLUDE MARINES FROM SUBMITTING INSIDE THIS WINDOW. ADDITIONALLY, SNCO APPLICANTS WITH DEPENDENTS MUST COMPLETE THE OVERSEAS DEPENDENT MEDICAL SCREENING UPON RECEIPT OF ORDERS TO MSG SCHOOL. IF THERE ARE FAMILY HEALTH ISSUES, A MEDICAL OFFICER WILL SCREEN THE FAMILY MEMBER'S HEALTH RECORDS AND A MEMO WILL BE PLACED IN THE MARINE'S HEALTH RECORD INDICATING WHETHER THE FAMILY MEMBER'S MEDICAL CONDITION SHOULD DISQUALIFY THE MARINE FOR MSG DUTY.

D. PHASE IV: FINAL COMMAND CERTIFICATION. THIS PHASE MUST BE COMPLETED NO EARLIER THAN 60 DAYS PRIOR TO REPORTING TO MSG SCHOOL. DURING THIS PHASE ALL QUALIFICATIONS BASED ON PHASES I, II AND III ARE RECERTIFIED BY THE APPLICANT'S COMMANDING OFFICER. AN INVENTORY PHYSICAL FITNESS TEST MUST BE CONDUCTED AND THE MARINE MUST BE EVALUATED TO ENSURE HE OR SHE IS WITHIN MARINE CORPS HEIGHT AND WEIGHT STANDARDS. THIS MUST ALL BE CERTIFIED BY THE MARINE'S COMMAND.

Melancon
09-17-09, 12:39 PM
Looks to me like there is no MOS requirement there... Meaning if he is Intel or any other MOS he can still get in MSG Duty.

brian0351
09-21-09, 05:34 AM
As far as I know there isn't an MOS requirement for MSG duty. When I was on MSG duty we had all types of different MOS's. A re-enlistment usually isn't required in place of an extension. I extended for 13 months when I did it.

However, I've heard examples of the person's unit hampering the process in order to keep them around.

Petz
09-21-09, 06:34 AM
you need a primary MOS first, so that should keep everyones panties from getting in a bunch.

then you'll need two years on station (which is waiverable when they NEED Marines) but since they will have all their billets filled by the time this kid gets his head out his butt and actually signs some papers and gets his ship date sometime next year that he'll have to spend two years on station.

but yes, you're right. You CAN simply extend to do it.

0231Marine
09-21-09, 07:23 AM
Keep in mind though that with any MOS involving a TS Clearance, you may not be allowed to leave the MOS to do MSG. When it comes time for you to put in an MSG package, your MOS may be a critical need MOS and they have the option to refuse you orders unless it is to another unit with the same MOS need. Doesn't happen as often with MSG as opposed to DI or recruiter but I have still seen it happen.

Petz
09-21-09, 09:01 AM
so what you're saying is that if you are in a critical need MOS, you can have your orders denied unless you are going to another critical need MOS. Did I get that right?

as of right this moment, MSG is critical need in that it doesn't have a 'selection' board who picks Marines to go, it's 100% voluntary so I doubt you'd be able to go if you have a critical need MOS. (what an odd, horribly written run-on sentence that was)

Kmwhite08
09-21-09, 11:27 AM
So you are saying the 0231 is a critical need MOS?

thewookie
09-21-09, 11:37 AM

Read and comprehend what he said, it might be "critical need" for one MOS/situation, but not for another.

Getting into a LOT of what if's here -- An active recruiter should be able to give you more up to date info.

0231Marine
09-21-09, 11:56 AM

Yes

Kmwhite08
09-23-09, 08:36 PM
Thank you Marines for the help!