PDA

View Full Version : Meeting the Officer Selection Officer for the first time - dress code/details?

teddyn
09-16-09, 07:19 PM
Hey everyone,

I spoke with an OSO on the phone last week and he asked me the 'preliminary screening' questions before then scheduling a meeting to see me.

Would it be acceptable to wear a suit and tie to the meeting/interview or would that be too formal?

I've read suggestions online that this is a good idea, but on the OSO page of the Marine officer site the guy's just wearing a polo:
http://officer.marines.com/marine/making_marine_officers/officer_selection_officer

Would appreciate any advice!

Zulu 36
09-16-09, 07:45 PM
It never hurts to wear a suit and tie. You are interviewing for a management job, after all.

Gunner 0313
09-16-09, 08:04 PM
:flag:Always suit and tie, no matter what kind of job you're applying for IMO.

GyC
09-16-09, 08:41 PM
First impression is everything... Business attire is appropriate... Practice saying Sir... Remember that although you are looking to join an all-volunteer force, you are basically interviewing for a position... Good Luck! S/F

commdog7
09-16-09, 09:12 PM
I would think slacks and a polo would be fine. One thing I've learned on MSG duty is to never out-dress the interviewer/senior member. For instance, if I have a meeting with the ambassador and he's wearing a shirt and tie, I should not out-dress him by wearing a full suit. Rather, I should try to match his level of attire; it's common courtesy.

I don't know what the OSO would be wearing or if he would be in uniform. Wear a full suit if you like, but I don't think I would if I were in your shoes. Just my 2 cents.

flyby
09-16-09, 11:43 PM
When I met with the OSO, I wore slacks and a polo. They are usually in Delta's anyway. Just make sure your slacks are pressed and that you have a hair cut. That should suffice. Good Luck!