PDA

View Full Version : U.s. Secretary Of Defense Robert Gates Hands Wounded Marine Keys To New Bridgeland Ho

thedrifter
09-16-09, 02:01 PM
U.S. SECRETARY OF DEFENSE ROBERT GATES HANDS WOUNDED MARINE KEYS TO NEW BRIDGELAND HOME
Published 09/16/2009 - 5:26 a.m. CST

Cypress, TX – Wounded war veteran Capt. Daniel Moran, USMC (Ret.), and his family received keys to their new Bridgeland home Monday, Aug. 31, sharing the momentous event with a crowd of well-wishers that included U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, U.S. Congressman Todd Tiahrt (R-KS) and Astros legend Craig Biggio, all on hand to show their support of Moran and HelpingaHero.org.

Builder Perry Homes constructed the Morans’ new home on a homesite donated by Bridgeland, an 11,400-acre development of General Growth Properties in Cypress that was named Master Planned Community of the Year in 2008 by the National Association of Home Builders. This is the seventh of eight homes Perry has built at a substantial discount for the HelpingaHero.org Home Program. Houston Rotary District 5890 also has been actively involved in raising money for the project, which was funded by The Strake Foundation, Rex and Marilyn King and the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund.

“Daniel is a real hero, a true patriot of undaunted courage,” said Gates. “Today represents a new beginning and a down payment on a bright future for Daniel.”

Monday’s event marked the fourth time Gates and Moran shared the stage. The first was when, as president of The Texas A&M University System, Gates handed Moran his diploma upon graduation. The second was when he visited him at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, where Moran spent two and a half years recovering from more than 30 surgeries and undergoing intense rehabilitation and therapy.

“He asked me to personalize a graduation-day photo of us,” Gates recounted. “I was honored, but I came away thinking I should be the one seeking an autograph.”

The third occasion was when Gates and former President George H.W. Bush presented the captain with a Navy Commendation Medal with Valor as they stood before 90,000 cheering fans during halftime at an Aggie football game. “It was one of the most moving experiences of my life,” Gates said.

Moran, 28, is a Purple Heart recipient who joined the Marines in 2004. While on his second tour of duty in Ramadi, Iraq, he sustained a concussion from the explosion of a homemade bomb. Despite his injury, he urged his doctors to let him return to his platoon. Less than two weeks later, another improvised explosive device killed three of his Marines and wounded Moran, who sustained third-degree burns over 50 percent of his body. The blast also seared the inside of his lungs. Moran spent two and a half years in a burn unit at Brooke Army Medical Center (BMAC) in San Antonio recovering from his injuries and has undergone more than 30 surgeries.

He and his wife, Teal, a graduate of Cy-Creek High School and A&M, have two children, Trey, 4, and Macy, 2, and are expecting their third child.

“What do I say to people who have given me so much?” Moran said Monday. “Words don’t do justice. So what is going to do justice? I can tell you right now, it’s going to be how I live my life, with honor, courage and commitment. The legacy for everyone involved in making this home a reality is that you will see a return on your investment.”

Perry Homes designed the 3,300-square-foot home with special accommodations for Moran’s physical condition. An important consideration was to have enhanced temperature control measures such as tinted windows and a high-efficiency air conditioning and heating system, since Moran’s body is longer able to regulate his internal temperature. A separate system exclusively serves Moran’s office and bedroom, so those spaces can be kept at 68 degrees, while the remainder of the home can be adjusted to warmer temperatures. Plus, sophisticated air filtration will help protect Moran’s damaged lungs and vulnerable immune system. An extended covered porch also will allow him to spend time outdoors with his children without exposure to direct sunlight.

“This particular homesite was selected to allow the least amount of direct sunlight into the home,” said Peter Houghton, Bridgeland’s vice president of master-planned communities. “We are thrilled to be able to give something back to a man who has given so much for his country and we know our residents will gladly welcome the Morans and make them feel at home. The serenity of Bridgeland will offer a sense of peace as Capt. Moran continues to heal.”

The Morans’ new neighbors already have shown their hospitality, with the First Ladies of Bridgeland giving the family approximately $1,000 in gift cards from local restaurants, grocery stores and other retailers, as well as coupons for various resident services, such as babysitting, lawn care, decorating and more. In recognition of his service, Moran also was presented with a flag that flew over the Pentagon in his honor earlier this year.

The Bridgeland home was built in honor of the Boy Scouts, recognizing Moran’s long-time dedication to the organization and his rank as Life Scout. Hundreds of Boy Scouts and military personnel attended Monday’s ceremony.

“It is fitting that this home was built in honor of the Boy Scouts of America,” said Meredith Iler, national chairman of HelpingaHero.org. “Daniel is an American patriot who loves his country deeply. We are pleased to honor someone who served valiantly and who continues to reach out to other wounded heroes and assist them in their journey to recovery.”

In-kind donations for the home include cabinets by Kent Moore Cabinets, a GE front-loading washer and dryer, a side-by-side refrigerator from Sears Outlet Stores, new mattresses from Mattress Firm, a swing set from Kid Structures, Inc., and a $10,000 credit from Growing Scholars Montessori School.

For more information on the HelpingaHero.org Home Program, visit www.helpingahero.org.

Ellie