PDA

View Full Version : Americans applaud patriotic tribute in midst of anti-war sentiment

thedrifter
08-10-03, 07:22 PM
ON THE HOME FRONT
Web presentation honors
U.S. troops
Americans applaud patriotic tribute in midst of anti-war sentiment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: August 9, 2003
1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Carrie Olson
© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

When Todd Clegg created a patriotic Web presentation for a coworker serving in Afghanistan, he had no idea his work would serve as a rallying point for many Americans wishing to show their support for the troops amid anti-war protests.

The moving presentation, which features photographs of service men and women alternating with text written by Clegg, serves as a tribute to heroes of the past and present who have sacrificed in service to their country.

The photographs depict scenes from D-Day, the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima, the September 11 attacks and the fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Clegg's presentation struck a chord with a broad base of the American public and military forces, and has created a rallying point for perhaps over a million supporters of U.S. troops.

"The first week it was out I received 400 to 500 e-mails a day. After that it was about 50-100 a day. Now I still get 20-40 e-mails a day," Clegg told WorldNetDaily.

His presentation garnered a widespread audience just as the war in Iraq spurred anti-war protests and heated debate about the legitimacy of U.S. involvement in the Gulf.

Clegg released the tribute in March during the third week of the war in Iraq. He felt the need to encourage America's soldiers because he saw a prevailing sentiment against the war.

"I had been collecting photos off the Web for some time; it just seemed like the right time to do it, especially when the sentiment was against the war and a little bit against the troops," Clegg explained.

After two weeks of assembling the presentation and editing a soundtrack, Clegg sent the link to a coworker serving in Afghanistan.

Originally, Clegg did not intend the presentation for widespread circulation, so it came as a surprise when the demand for the tribute bogged down the server of his employer, Press-A-Print International.

The original recipients of the presentation sent the link to their friends and family who, in turn, sent the link to others. The result was a snowball effect that put an overwhelming demand on the company's server.

"When the snowball first happened, they thought it was some sort of cyber attack," Clegg recalled with a chuckle.

The demand became so great Clegg had to pull the link from the Net temporarily. On the webpage, he explained why the tribute was unavailable and invited others to assist him in hosting the presentation.

When numerous offers to host the tribute came in from all over the Web, Clegg sent the files out and posted the links to these mirror sites at the original address. A partial list remains on the site, although more mirror sites have been added since the page was updated a month ago.

Many who view the presentation e-mail Clegg with requests for a copy on compact disc to be shown at military conventions and memorials. He tries to keep up with the requests for copies and continues to respond to the thousands of e-mails that have poured into his inbox.

Said Clegg: "Thousands of people have e-mailed me, and those are the ones who took the time to write. I never put a counter on the site, but I would say the number of viewers is in the millions by now."

Clegg works as the website administrator and information technology manager at Press-A-Print International, a promotional product firm specializing in printed advertising products.

Go to the page listing the links that can be used to view the presentation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carrie Olson is an editorial intern for WorldNetDaily.com.

Patriotic Web Presentation Link
http://www.pressaprint.com/som/wesupportu.htm

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=33916

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: